It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA announces plans to send humans to Mars - LIVE NOW NASA TV

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why would anyone want to go to Mars. It looks like a big desert. I hope for the sake of the astronauts that there is a Mars Bar up there that serves cheap drinks. It would be pretty boring staring at sand and rocks.

Lol, when you said 'Mars Bar' I was thinking of
the candy bar, do they still make them?

I'm still chuckling

Rebel 5

Well, we could send a shipment of those candy bars up there to entertain them too.

Could you imagine being all sugared up and trapped in a spaceship on a barren planet?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Who cares where Obama stands on it???

It's about damn time we started looking outside the earth-moon system for true exploration. We have the majority of the technology right now. Testing it for the best in safety and best chance of success is where we are at now. Let's get it done.

Next trip...Europa.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
between the talk of dispatch and actually send it may take time tuevu huchu

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Gearing up for it is probably worthwhile. Actually going there, colossally foolish, a waste of money.

Mars is a dead world. No magnetosphere, 300mph dust storms, damaging regolith, very difficult to land due to the low air pressure.

The methodology is poorly imagined. Von Braun detailed how it needed to be done back in the 50s. They're not listening.

We need a robust space station around the Moon, people.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777

originally posted by: AgentShillington
Sweet!

I for one can't wait for people to simply deny that this is happening.

Also, I don't know whether or not to like this news because I don't know where Obama stands on it.

Obama will be long gone by the time this rolls around. Besides who cares what Obama thinks. This is about humanity, not a president

More like it's about corporations and the military industrial complex.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't know whether to be happy about this or not. I've always had an interest in space (Huge Star Trek fan and used to be a bit of an amateur astronomer) so obviously, stuff like this kind of excites me.

On the other hand I don't feel good about our government and I don't trust them anymore. I wonder what they're up to now. It's pretty sad I have to be so cynical about something like this but you know. These are not people who do things like this in the interest of pure exploratory curiosity. They're spending real money here. What is this about?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I don't know whether to be happy about this or not. I've always had an interest in space (Huge Star Trek fan and used to be a bit of an amateur astronomer) so obviously, stuff like this kind of excites me.

On the other hand I don't feel good about our government and I don't trust them anymore. I wonder what they're up to now. It's pretty sad I have to be so cynical about something like this but you know. These are not people who do things like this in the interest of pure exploratory curiosity. They're spending real money here. What is this about?

No shame in being a Star Trek Fan m8 , they invented black holes ( dark star) , mobile phones, wireless comms, we have Transported a photon!..... now if we can just crack on with the massive energy source and Warp drive the human race well be well sorted.

life imitates art and all that .................................

Q

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv

Why would anyone want to go to Mars. It looks like a big desert. I hope for the sake of the astronauts that there is a Mars Bar up there that serves cheap drinks. It would be pretty boring staring at sand and rocks.

Lol, when you said 'Mars Bar' I was thinking of
the candy bar, do they still make them?

I'm still chuckling

Rebel 5

Well, we could send a shipment of those candy bars up there to entertain them too.

Could you imagine being all sugared up and trapped in a spaceship on a barren planet?

I have a pretty good imagination, but even that one
is hard to get my head around.

Rebel 5

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel
Ya! Its cool stuff, but realistically even getting on track would take more then a few years, imagine all the talking and agreements and paperwork needed, even that would take years before anybody finally agrees on even going full out on this thing, not to mention the funding.

And not to mention building and developing the tech, to say so realistically to go there in any feasible capacity would take a few lifetimes from now were it would not be more then a pretty risky one way trip. I expect it would be a lot harder to do all that then they let on. But hey I am all for space the final frontier thing and all that. Were do I sign up, I would probably do it just to get off this planet. By 2030 may be a bit optimistic, that is unless they got some alien spaceship somewhere and already reconstructed some of it. If not, well by 2030 is really optimistic, I do not think people would relish the whole spam in a can sent into space thing as much as the TV would lead them to believe.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ZakOlongapo
Ya we may actually want to go to the moon first, before we even think of contemplating on going to mars. You know the official unofficial angle on things.

Like that famous quote by one of the presidents, there are known knows, things that we know that we know, but there are also known unknowns, things that we know we dont know. But another thing he forgot to mention is that there are there are also unknown knows. Things that we think we think we know, but in reality dont know jack squat about.

So ya I think its been said before, something simple at first, before going on to mars. SO...How is that international spacestation thing going? Something like that only actually useful is not only needed but necessary.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

About friggin time. XD

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Goverment will always try to hide anything

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I would like to see it, but unless they increase NASA's budget, the boys at the space agency are just dreaming. A 10 year plan is a plan, a 30 year plan is just a dream. There's no technical reason it can't be done, but of course the main problem is taking off under Mars gravity. Frankly, although human explorers could do better, our robots have done a pretty good job. A high-thrust plasma drive or a fusion drive would make the trip a lot shorter. I don't see Congress providing the funding that would be needed. NASA's budget has remained stagnant for a long time. The Congress failed to provide funding for the asteroid mission we could do with Orion.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

The U.S. will probably go broke long before it gets off the ground!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Parthin
It can be done, though the preparations and steps necessary for a real mars trip by humans would take far longer then people believe, lets just say by 2030 they may technically be able to go there, but there would be a whole host of things which would still make it a far fetched thing. If anything even on the cost aspect, well we spend more money as a nation for far stupider things by far then we have in anything involving space exploration. After all how do you think you got that cool smartphone which you can communicate in pretty much anywhere on the globe with, without the satellite which was put up there in orbit.

Which was all just another step that came about by what? People may not want to admit it but the military black budgets and NASA tinkering even though its at a fraction of other budgets well not counting military spending, but in all those two areas have helped out bring more advances in our daily life's then anything else. So to say space exploration or just moving toward that goal is not worth it. That would literally fly in the face of all our advances in pretty much all the gadgets you use today.

So ya it can be done, and pretty much everything we have done today with technology even things such as smartphones will all eventually add up eventually. Though I think we got a lot more problems on earth to deal with then we like to think, but making something like such a program into an actual workable thing can only help things I believe, even if it would take a whole hell of a lot longer then people believe.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

All the failures is the reason we might need a new planet.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It would be amazing but i think it would be a suicide mission,we would be better off concentrating on a moon base but what do i know?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
"NASA announces plans to send humans to Mars", as I remember this announcements were done like 25-30 years ago, NASA will be sending humans to Mars by 2020.
or maybe NASA has already been there

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We need to go to Mars. It is as simple as that. Humanity needs to reach out to the stars and embrace it's destiny. To stay on Earth forever is illogical. The planet is overpopulated, resources are dwindling and animals are slowly getting killed off either through natural processes, illegal poaching or some other means or in some cases all of them. Sure it will be tough on Mars at first but it could become a much needed stepping stone to an even bigger "prize" this being the exploration of the stars. After all who would have thought a wooden sailing ship called the Mayflower across the Atlantic from England to a New World would lead to the first manned exploration of the Moon (casting conspiracy theories aside for a moment) The first settlers suffered great hardship and death and disease, but others came and others and eventually the others became a tidal wave of humanity. This is what can be done by going to Mars.

Humanity needs the innovation, the dare and the guts to do this. Pave a trail blaze to the stars, become the wagon pioneers for future generations to follow and fly from the planetary nest that Is Earth. We need to do this or face extinction via natural disaster or self destruction. This is OUR time. I say GO!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join