It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA announces plans to send humans to Mars - LIVE NOW NASA TV

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZakOlongapo
... BS. so they having no money to go back again to the Moon, but now they want to go to Mars? something smells here to the high heaven! it is stupidity of those who follow...

who said they had no money to go to the moon? we went a few times , nothing more to see without the ability to dig deeper and explore further. they just diverted resources into other areas that should benefit future missions,

and the space shuttle was scrapped due to age built in the seventies tested in the 80's, cheaper to send commercial payloads now and getting more people involved in space is good, time for something new..

and this is it...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel
solar electric array and propulsion ready 2018

optical communications rdy for testing 2018-2019 - first deep space test 2021-2022

everything rdy and demonstrated for 2030

i am 40 now... maybe my lifetime is doubtful
devastated ...

start spending that money on space instead of multi-million dollar missiles

That's only 15 years to practical test according to your estimates..... you would be 55....

Given that we are all going to live longer given medical advances I would say it will be in our life time.... I'm also 40.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I didn't realise that America very recently signed an agreement with ESA and Airbus to build the launch and support vehicle for the new Orion Capsule……

www.bbc.com...

There would appear to be Massive cooperation on this one then….

PDUK

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
God I hope they've found something. I couldn't be more excited to hear this news. Very exciting times ahead.
edit on 3-12-2014 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Science, and the pursuit of it, should always be at the forefront of any society.

I fully agree. This is money well spent. The scientific discoveries and the technological advancements that come from a vigorous space program are incalculable. And it gives incentives for people to stay in school and earn higher degrees (engineering) and then puts those engineers to work for the advancement of humanity. I'm VERY glad to hear this news about working towards going to Mars. Excellent!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Meh.

I am sure they will fake it like they did the moon landings.

edit on 3-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter because we will go anyway. People complain to much about everything. Yes We know the world is in the crapper you don't have to go to every thread and complain.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Man I was excited till I found out there is a statue of Obama on Mars.

Kidding , exciting times.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I should read the linked article first and see whether NASA is serious about any of this, but even if they're, I have to wonder how much more REAL science gets done by humans as opposed to landers or other probes? It's undeniably expensive to send humans to another planet or moon. I realize humans can move around the surface easier than a lander without constant instruction and checkups, but the abundance of extra space and costs necessary to send humans to a hostile environment might outweigh the benefits, dependent on the job which is desired.

I think if we want to send humans to mars we should consider a permanent outpost, as opposed to a one night stand PR campaign. The only question is, what reason is there to have a permanent outpost?

Without a compelling reason for us to send humans out onto the other planets and moons where's the incentive other than to just explore? Exploring ain't enough. Columbus didn't come to America just to have a story to tell. He was expected to discover valuable things and take them back. It was all about money. Spain, France, Russia, Brittain were all trying to establish outposts and colonies for trading fur and other valuables. It was all about the survival of the mother country by trade and new land.

We need inventive people to make REASONS to be there. We need to find ways to USE that land on Mars productively.
edit on 3-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

hey common. it is obvious why we are not "even" on the moon yet...
Mars program will be other "entertainment" for "Walmart shopers"

or

humansarefree.com...

or...

hey it just don't make any sense
to make my point straight
... why not to send humans first to the Pluto and start properly exploring our solar system from outside in

edit on 3-12-2014 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2014 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Without a compelling reason for us to send humans out onto the other planets and moons where's the incentive other than to just explore? Exploring ain't enough. Columbus didn't come to America just to have a story to tell. He was expected to discover valuable things and take them back. It was all about money. Spain, France, Russia, Brittain were all trying to establish outposts and colonies for trading fur and other valuables. It was all about the survival of the mother country by trade and new land.

We need inventive people to make REASONS to be there. We need to find ways to USE that land on Mars productively.

If we can't get people there and back we're not going to be able to establish an outpost in the first place. Getting back means being able to launch from the surface of Mars. An undeveloped terrain with gravity that needs to be overcome. It is not at all like launching from Earth or even returning from the Moon. If we cannot launch people from Mars back to Earth we cannot launch stuff from Mars back to Earth. Most likely we have to send people first so that they can build infrastructure that allows the return trip of things (including those people).
edit on 3-12-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Thanks for the post OP.

I went to the linked NASA Twitter account
and when I saw the comments, right at the very top
some guy named Johnny Fly comments
"@NASA which sound stage will this be on"

Almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Rebel 5

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I love it, a modern day Columbus but with HSE and Risk!

They are planning on building infrastructure up there and on the way with Robots, so the first humans have a place to stay, fix up and then return from!!!

It's amazing in my opinion, the absolute pinnacle, bleeding edge of human ability and on this Earth we maybe still have a tribe of humans who have never met anyone else or at the least Tribes with v.little human interaction without electricity and still using primative tools and techniques to a group of people aiming to colonize a planet!!

That fellow ATSers is awesome!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why would anyone want to go to Mars. It looks like a big desert. I hope for the sake of the astronauts that there is a Mars Bar up there that serves cheap drinks. It would be pretty boring staring at sand and rocks.

Lol, when you said 'Mars Bar' I was thinking of
the candy bar, do they still make them?

I'm still chuckling

Rebel 5

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheCrowMan
Then there is the money, its all a massive circle anyway:

Yeah, but the results would kind of be the same no matter what you spent the money on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a trip to Mars. If you pour a lot of government money into something, you get stuff out.

Instead of going to Mars, how about if we built a system of medium-high Earth orbit solar satellites that would capture sunlight and beam power via microwave lasers to a series of Earth-based collection points? Once and for all decrease our dependence on oil for fuel? That would have the same kind of effect of generating all kinds of useful byproducts, AND we'd have something to show for it rather than a dozen dead astronauts on a dead end planet.

Pick any massive project and fund it -- high speed transcontinental railroads, desalinization plants, tidal current power plants, a space elevator, etc. -- and you'll get secondary dividends from it.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Colossal waste of time and money!!! If they cant figure with all the crap that they have sent there, that there is nothing there to benefit us then its just a bunch of boys with their toys. I sure hope the Gov is not paying for this.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: TheCrowMan
Then there is the money, its all a massive circle anyway:

Yeah, but the results would kind of be the same no matter what you spent the money on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a trip to Mars. If you pour a lot of government money into something, you get stuff out.

Instead of going to Mars, how about if we built a system of medium-high Earth orbit solar satellites that would capture sunlight and beam power via microwave lasers to a series of Earth-based collection points? Once and for all decrease our dependence on oil for fuel? That would have the same kind of effect of generating all kinds of useful byproducts, AND we'd have something to show for it rather than a dozen dead astronauts on a dead end planet.

Pick any massive project and fund it -- high speed transcontinental railroads, desalinization plants, tidal current power plants, a space elevator, etc. -- and you'll get secondary dividends from it.

You're talking way to much sense for anyone to care.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
You're talking way too much sense for anyone to care.

As we continue to develop our virtual reality simulations, where anyone can safely pretend to visit Mars and fly unicorns to the Martian pyramids, we'll eventually lose interest in going out into real space. Only a tiny handful of people will ever do that, anyway, but a virtual Mars (or wherever) can be visited by anybody.

Brain implant research. That might be a better use of the money.

But what the hell. Money is just virtual, too, right?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Yeah, but the results would kind of be the same no matter what you spent the money on.

Agree, that was what my source was from, usually National Infrastructure projects are quotes as the investment which drives the economy.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Two words about this venture:

"Capricorn One"
edit on 3-12-2014 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join