It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA announces plans to send humans to Mars - LIVE NOW NASA TV

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

One thing i will say is that trying to find a way to stop a comet or meteor from destroying the planet could involve space science and have a direct benefit to mankind.

But thats far to sensible for anyone to care about.

edit on 2-12-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Then go live in India

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

OLD NEWS

They annonced the same thing in the 90's then in mid early 2000's under bush

And each time the proposed date get pushed further and further away.

In 2024 we will get the exact same announcement and the date pushed back another 20 years.

Under I SEE it I will be a pessimist.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think that "Wanderers" short movie that dropped a few days that Hefficide made a thread about HERE was possibly a very well timed pre-cursor to this announcement. Whip up the dreams of the populous, then tell them that these dreams are more than that, they are happening. Brilliant timing/marketing/population thought control

Here's what I said a couple of days back;

To wonder what life will offer my childrens childrens children. The pursuit of science, truth, leads us to these places one day. Many complained about India starting a space program, when it has millions in poverty. But I think it offers incredible goals and inspires those kids to study in the sciences and give them hope.

I hope by the end of my lifetime we will at least have gotten humans to Mars.

Looks like I'll have to be extra careful crossing the road!

edit on 2-12-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Awwww, don't be a sad pessimistic ewok.
*Gives crazyewok a big hug and cuddle and ruffles his/her furry fuzz.

There. Better?

Now, Get your (furry) a## back to Mars!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Phoenix, aren't you in Australia?

Yeah, mind your own space budget, and leave ours up to us, mkay? Bitching about another country's spending goals is pointless. Maybe you should get on your politicians' butts and get THEM to shower the world with cash instead of saddling the US with it, as you think our money should instead be spent. Why not yours instead?

It should be of no surprise that I find the goal of setting foot on another planet within 15 years a landmark in human history. We'll do ourselves no good suppressing our innate curiosity & desire for discernible knowledge (otherwise, we're stuck with religious BS & meta-physics trash) We're supposed to study, explore, investigate, etc. It's who we are & always have been. The fact that we're on every continent & in every environment on Earth should be proof enough of that, seeing as how we aren't still bumbling about one little region in Africa anymore (or any other origin spot people have been traced to, if you're not an OOA believer)

but if none of that appeals to you, oh well. There's a set of heavy curtains & a pitiful corner waiting somewhere in your house. Have at it.
edit on 12/2/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
And the way we're quickly deteriorating this beautiful and bountiful planet, it may be mankinds only hope.

WTF is wrong with this picture? We cant take care of our own back yard so we must go find somewhere else to pillage?

"It may be mankinds only hope??"

..If thats the case, then mankind is hopeless. Id rather we walk off into extinction than to witness this perpetual mess.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Steady on, without us down-under helping with the moon landing it wouldn't have happened!
Well... We picked up the signal to broadcast to the rest of the world...
Which is basically like watching telly...

Yeah, us Aussies suck at space

(Not really as there is some smart cookies down here on telescopes and in research, but as far rockets sending people up we'll leave that to you guys)
edit on 2-12-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

..If thats the case, then mankind is hopeless. Id rather we walk off into extinction than to witness this perpetual mess.

Speak for your self hippy.

You stay here and focus on the earth Id rather look on into the stars.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

As much as I agree that we haven't been responsible with our own environment, the need to still find ways to get off the planet is in humanity's best interests. We all know eventually the Earth wont' be able to sustain life, so finding somewhere else is only natural.

Will we trash it? Most likely but I'm hoping by the time they actually make this a reality we'll at least realize messing up one place and finding another to do the same is a little insane.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Tucket

Speak for your self hippy.

You stay here and focus on the earth Id rather look on into the stars.

A hippy? Thats by far the best namesake Ive recieved here on ATS.

But Ive always thought that hippies were the ones that look to the stars.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I'm hoping by the time they actually make this a reality we'll at least realize messing up one place and finding another to do the same is a little insane.

Your hoping that we ll clean our act up?

Well, I believe in Jesus so I guess I cant really argue with you here.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

We will eventually. But I for one would rather leave hope for the future generations than say we're stuck on this planet and sort it out. We'll go extinct here. At least there, if this place goes extinct there's a chance people will still survive there.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: StoutBroux
I think they spent 1 million designing a space pen that could write in zero g. The Russians used a pencil lol

That's an urban legend that isn't true. The pens they chose to use were developed independently by Paul C. Fisher and he spent his own money developing them which he then sold to NASA. NASA only spent $1,180 on the pens. He made more profit from selling the pens to the public then he did from NASA.
edit on 2-12-2014 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Awesome can't wait for the day Mars declares it independence from Earth.

Imagine all the crap movies that can come from it

That movie The Patriot sans Mel'boy
BUT ON MARS>?!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

Now, Get your (furry) a## back to Mars!

Crazyewok comes from Endor.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Then go live in India

Spoken like a true Umerican lol

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
a reply to: StoutBroux
I think they spent 1 million designing a space pen that could write in zero g. The Russians used a pencil lol

That's an urban legend that isn't true. The pens they chose to use were developed independently by Paul C. Fisher and he spent his own money developing them which he then sold to NASA. NASA only spent $1,180 on the pens. He made more profit from selling the pens to the public then he did from NASA.

Thanks i didnt know that, it seems that NASA did try to develop a space pen but gave up after development costs skyrocketed so they went back to using pencils.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Phoenix, aren't you in Australia?

Yeah, mind your own space budget, and leave ours up to us, mkay?

Nope i am not lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

We will eventually. But I for one would rather leave hope for the future generations than say we're stuck on this planet and sort it out.

Humanity will probably progress as you hope, but I do not see hope as leaving the earth as a giant ball of fecal matter. My version of hope would include living collectively as a sustainable and responsible species.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join