It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA announces plans to send humans to Mars - LIVE NOW NASA TV

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I didn't get to see this streaming, but I was curious if they talked about the type of vehicles that are going to be deployed for this project?

I saw the Dragon 2 reveal a few months ago through SpaceX and that thing was impressive! The fact that you could literally print replacement engines and components for it, combined with the 3D printer already functional in 0-gravity on the ISS, were big steps in the right direction IMO. The logistics of getting a crew and all the equipment to Mars has already got a be a nightmare and a half, but the thought of having to bring spare parts as well would be kind of insane, lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Cool 600 billion spent and we got memory foam mattresses for people who can afford beds. At least we can sleep better and not stay awake thinking about all the stuff we could have done with the money.

edit on 2-12-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

It's fine to be fiscally conservative. But the very nature of humanity is to learn and to explore. Space has captivated humanity since it became self-aware and first turned it's head to the heavens. The stars are in our blood. Literally and figuratively. I for one, cheer at the prospect of returning to an active, brave and exploratory NASA. Forge ahead on the path of destiny.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

It's fine to be fiscally conservative. But the very nature of humanity is to learn and to explore. Space has captivated humanity since it became self-aware and first turned it's head to the heavens. The stars are in our blood. Literally and figuratively. I for one, cheer at the prospect of returning to an active, brave and exploratory NASA. Forge ahead on the path of destiny.

Couldn't have said it better myself

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Sure but why not wait until its less expensive if theres not much to gain from it? whats a few hundred years in the lifespan of his planet?

Or give the money to an organization that doesnt waste most of it overpaying people like the space program in India.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

Sure but why not wait until its less expensive if theres not much to gain from it? whats a few hundred years in the lifespan of his planet?

things only become less expensive when they are repeated over and over and produced en mass..

without these baby steps it will never become beneficial

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

If we continue to push off innovation, it will never become affordable. Innovation always comes at a cost, and the benefits of it are seen usually within a few decades. If your line of thinking had prevailed during the turn of the century, we would not be having the conversation right now.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Not sure i would call going to mars a baby step. Space exploration has very little financial return and is always on the edge of scientific capability which is some of the most expensive stuff on the planet.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Theres nothing wrong with innovation people do it every day. squandering billions and billions with no real financial aim or benefit to the planet in the name of science is not innovation. Its expensive toys and boasting rights.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Or give the money to an organization that doesnt waste most of it overpaying people like the space program in India.

Less expensive????? And when will that be???? Space exploration NEVER gets less expensive. The space budget only grows. Now it is less expensive than it will be in 30 years. Best to start ASAP. And the way we're quickly deteriorating this beautiful and bountiful planet, it may be mankinds only hope. First Mars and then who knows? The galaxies are our open for exploration. We have the means to do it now so strike while the iron's hot.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Science, and the pursuit of it, should always be at the forefront of any society. At least, that is my opinion. Through discovery, experimentation, innovation, and even failures; we have learned so much about our world and the cosmos. Personally, I wouldn't trade any of that for the world. The universe is a vast, and amazing place. Yes, putting humans on mars is the tiniest of baby steps in the grand scale of the cosmos. We haven't even dipped our toes into the universal ocean. We have been on the beach, seen the water and it's inviting waves. It calls to us, it is only natural that we should answer.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Thats because we carry on letting the fat cats at nasa over charge for the work. In india they have done a lot of space exploration at a fraction of the price that NASA would demand.

I think they spent 1 million designing a space pen that could write in zero g. The Russians used a pencil lol

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Science, and the pursuit of it, should always be at the forefront of any society.

where did i say we should stop science and the pursuit of it? A lot more important scientific research is done on the planet at a fraction of the cost of sending a few people to space for boasting rights.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Unless sand and rocks is what your going there to look at.

That is the point. To study the soil and atmosphere.

Come on ricky, how can there be a mars bar if we dont go there and build it.

Then would you go? Hhmmm?

a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

a reply to: StoutBroux

Thats because we carry on letting the fat cats at nasa over charge for the work. In india they have done a lot of space exploration at a fraction of the price that NASA would demand.

you have a very pessimistic view of life, not everyone is out to get you . india have done things Nasa did 30 years ago at a fraction of the price because its 30 years later and been done before..

We have to start somewhere.. at the moment total space budget amounts to under $10 per person on the planet per year..

If you want to cut costs there are many other areas of government budgets that would save much much more than just cutting the space budget, many of these projects return nothing, zip , zero , where as at least space exploration provides something (advances in materials , sciences and understanding)

The Military budget for 1 year in the U.S alone would fund NASA for 50 years .. think about that...

If we adhered to your rationale a bigger boat would never have been built to sail the oceans, why would you? we have little boats and all the fish we can eat ... we think...

Sometimes you can just dream , don't forget to dream and strive for improvement, don't get bogged down on how horrible things are elsewhere and how resources are misused, changing the history of the planet will be for the better and eventually for the benefit of all maybe not at first but it will come..

Don't forget to Dream and never let the dream die, baby steps m8

this spec of dust in which a man made constructive of the passing of universal happenings are NOTHING compared to whats out their, Mars is not a big step.. its the equivalent of falling out of your front door onto your welcome Mat and boasting you have been everywhere.

PEACE

Q

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

It's clear our discussion is devolving into a circular argument. I could tell you that they're not going simply for "boasting rights" but to perform real, demonstrable science. I could tell you that space exploration should be the top goal for all civilized nations. I could tell you that unless we explore the cosmos, humanity is doomed to go extinct unless we figure out a way to live on other worlds. But that wouldn't matter.

I'll respectfully bow out of our discussion. You can take that as victory if you like, but truthfully, I'm only sad that I couldn't get through to you.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

you have a very pessimistic view of life, not everyone is out to get you . india have done things Nasa did 30 years ago at a fraction of the price because its 30 years later and been done before..

Its a realistic look of life. Yes india is doing things that nasa did years ago but they are still doing it cheaper than nasa would today.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You should look at the innovation and technology that has gone into making a smartphone. The latest models have more communication bandwidth than a 1950's battleship, and more graphics power than a 1990's console system.

What if we had that level of innovation in space propulsion? Everything else related to habitation has been done; recycling resources like air and water, strong magnetic fields for shielding from radiation. We have knowledge from the design of submarines and luxury cruise liners.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Its a realistic look of life. Yes india is doing things that nasa did years ago but they are still doing it cheaper than nasa would today.

you just read the first line of my big post didn't you and responded?

you didn't even read the rest or even watch part 1 of the video? and read my closing remark?

you think I am against your views , I am not I just think your looking in the wrong place.
As I have said twice and someone else has commented, your argument is circular, we are going round and round, I am able to except some points in your argument as being correct.. can you with mine?

Q
edit on 2/12/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yes i agree the Military budget for 1 year in the U.S alone would fund NASA for 50 years. They are both ridiculous, but ive said that already.

Sending people to mars to look at rock using tax payers money is not the same as private companies developing boats. Of course the countries of the world paid for boats as well but that was for war.

If war is the only way we can galvanize peoples effort then there is something wrong with society.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join