It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley says Ferguson grand jury got it right; looters 'scumbags'

page: 1

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Source

NBA great Charles Barkley undoubtedly lost some fans and gained some more recently, when he said the grand jury got it right in declining to indict Ferguson, Mo., Police Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown and labeled looters “scumbags."

Noting that several black witnesses corroborated Wilson’s version of events, saying Brown attacked him and went for his gun, Barkley accused the press of using dubious information to inflame passions.

An American sports legend speaks out and it is the opposite of what the NFL and Rams are spewing.

Good for him, he's not afraid to speak out.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

i dont think barkley has ever cared what people think about him.

i remember his whole i am not a role model deal

he has always said whats on his mind...

good for him

Barkley said the black community owes a debt of gratitude to cops.

“[W]e have to be really careful with the cops, because if it wasn’t for the cops we would be living in the Wild, Wild West in our neighborhoods," he said. "We can’t pick out certain incidentals that don’t go our way and act like the cops are all bad.... Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn't for the cops?”
edit on 1-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
A great player in his day.A statement like that will be sure to bring accusations of being an "Uncle Tom"unfortunately.A brave man really.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

i saw this earlier tonight and started to start a thread on it, but i didn't want to deal with all the racist and the apologists.
this is not the first time he has said something about it and he comes down hard on black folks that love the thug life.

We as black people are never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you are black, you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people," Barkley said.

Barkley, a native of Leeds, said African Americans are too concerned with street cred than true success and that's holding the community back. "For some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don't break the law, you're not a good black person. It's a dirty, dark secret in the black community. "There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success. It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's just typical BS that goes on when you're black, man."

'Unintelligent' blacks 'brainwashed' to choose street cred over success: Charles Barkley

he also agreed with the zimmerman verdict.
Charles Barkley on CNBC: Jury was right to acquit Zimmerman

edit on 1-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think Sir Charles would make for the perfect candidate for the next police chief in Ferguson.

If anyone can put the ass beatings on the thugs, it would be under his command.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I though the purpose of the jury was to try the facts of the case between the wrights and wrongs of the people involved. Not to take into account the perifahel issues surrounding the case when determining guilt or otherwise of the parties involved in the case

What on earth has vandalism have to do with the rights and wrongs of the cop and the bloke he shot ???????????????????

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Preach it Barkley!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
GOOD for Barkley, I would like to think the majority of free thinking black folks think the same way.

Problem is as long as there are the bottom feeding journalist that feed this crap just to fill there pockets it will go on long after we are gone.

One can only imagine the race baiting community organizer Obama will become when he is finally OUT ! , he already seems to be getting himself situated with Sharpton...two pea's in a pod.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I remember a few years back Sir Charles thought about running for governor of Alabama. He's extremely intelligent and is in no way afraid to speak his mind. Very refreshing actually. I wonder if he could compromise with people with differing opinions? If I lived in Alabama I would probably vote for him.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Who said anything about his vandalism? Did I miss something? I thought Barkley said the jury was right and then supoorted that statement by bringing up the fact that other black witnesses supported the cops statement that Brown was fighting him and going for his gun. Please do explain so I can then understand what it is you are talking about.

If you are discussing details of the grand jury, I did not see that. But it is common to bring up other actions and behaviors of defendants, witnesses, suspects, etc, in court, in order to help the jury determine the character of the person. So they can think to themselves in their own mind "does this seem like the kind of person who would do this or that?"

If you know someone has led a life of crime, it makes sense to believe they are at least capable of commiting more crimes. But if they had a little trouble when they were younger but have had a clean record for over 10 years, then you would take that inti consideration... make sense?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
For the record, let's just say I have a unique perspective on racism from both sides of the issue.

I don't always agree with what Charles Barkley says, but I admire the fact that he has no problems speaking what's on his mind.

In the cases of both Ferguson and Zimmerman, I agree with him.

As to the above statement that Citizen hounddoghowlie quoted from Mr. Barkley:

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success. It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's just typical BS that goes on when you're black, man."

I can say this is not universally true. However it is quite true in a number of sectors of the African-American population, especially the "hood."

In several cases I have gone out of my way, both in financial and time investment, to help cultivate a potentially promising black child's intellect. In every case, after some initial success, my attempts were rebuffed.

In one case in particular, my nephew-in-law helped me in an experiment with papercrete. He had a lot of fun, and he felt a great deal of satisfaction in actually making something cool. He expressed that he wanted "to be just like me when he grew up." When I saw him the very next day, he looked at me like I was some kind of demon from the 7th level of Hell. His parents told him something that completely changed his view of me.

Now, instead of being able to use a potentially superior intellect to pull himself out of the "hood," he's left alone to raise himself on the playground with the other hoodrats. He does go to school...when the truant officer comes around to threaten his mother with jail time if she doesn't make him go.

It's a self-perpetuating and endless cycle. His mother, father, aunt, grandmother, and cousins actually have a certain amount of pride in coming from/being in the projects.

I've given up. It's just not worth the effort any more.

dex

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
We can't forget how rap music influences the unintelligent ones to be thugs, like being a detriment to society makes one cool and gets one respect. How many black people have died because being a thug like 'insert gangsta rapper here' is the way to go because he has money, is tough, carries a gun, and has respect, etc.

Of course there are the Will Smiths of the world who go the opposite.

I honestly don't know how it became cool for black people to sing and praise criminality, whereas I notice a lot of white music, namely heavy metal speaks against the ills of society and how the criminals are those who control us, THEY are the evil ones, THEY are un-cool, that we are not the criminals.

Black people are their own worst enemies, as a white guy I see that regularly in the media, they don't want a guilty black man being charged and convicted because he's guilty, they want to see a man found innocent while being black.
Like OJ and this Ferguson thing.

Makes black people look like idiots as they cheer on a guilty person being found innocent, or riot if a guilty person is found guilty, simply because......because why?

Stupidity?
I don't know, I shake my head at all this BS.

Power to the black people who can analyse and think logically about these things.

A lot of racism is caused by certain elements black people should discourage, like glorification of thug culture.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Barkley said the black community owes a debt of gratitude to cops.
It never seizes to amaze me. A lot of folk like to complain, chastise, and want death to all police officers, but as soon as someone tries to break into their homes, they have no problem calling the police for help. Somewhat hypocritical if you as me..

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
double post..
edit on 3-12-2014 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
He shoots!

Swish!

3 Pointer!

The crowd goes crickets places like Ferguson, and NY.

Everyone knows that Barkley was suppose to agree with the mob.

Good for him.

A person might get something wrong.

Grand Juries DON'T.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
I remember a few years back Sir Charles thought about running for governor of Alabama. He's extremely intelligent and is in no way afraid to speak his mind. Very refreshing actually. I wonder if he could compromise with people with differing opinions? If I lived in Alabama I would probably vote for him.

Politics? Have you seen his golf swing?

BWAHAHAHA.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I'm not a full bottle on the role and purpose of a grand jury. I'm assuming the purpose is to determine if a prima facie case exists. Where I come from a case is tried only on the facts of the case and nothing more. A court or a jury here cannot decide guilt or innocence on the basis of facts that have nothing to do the case or the evidence at hand. A magistrate or a judge can however take the defendants previous record into account when sentencing after a guilty finding and I will never countenance any other way of doing it.

This is the great strength of the British justice system.

Taking previous behavior into account when determining likelihood of guilt or innocence has the effect of increasing the chances of acquittal of the affluent, those with status and prestige and conviction of those at the bottom of the socioeconomic pile. How anyone who is at or near the bottom of the pile can think such a system is fair I have no idea.

new topics

top topics

join