It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blocking streets at random is not nonviolence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

If you have to modify my quote then I really have nothing for you. You speak for yourself and I speak for myself.

Overall we disagree and there is no use in playing "what if game" all night.

The protests happened no one died from what I understand the worst thing I heard were some people were peeved about getting home late. It was no worse than if an accident happened and blocked the road which happens all the time everywhere USA except that they generally clear out a lot sooner than the accidents do.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Your directing that statement at me but at the two other posters commenting on my post.

I would readily get behind a cause i believe in and stop traffic for it if i thought it would solve the problem.

We are a community after all and we need each other for survival.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I dont care about the law.

had to quote this for truth.

you mentioned in another thread that you have a criminal record

maybe you should start to care about the law. especially if you want people to get behind your issues.

just a thought man

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

what i did was ask a question. i didnt speak for you.

you said 20 minutes and i mentioned an event where it was over an hour.

i would not presume to speak for you

and the road being blocked due to an accident is not the same thing

sorry if you felt like i was trying to speak for you. i was not

i was addressing something you said in this conversation

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So when the people committing crimes dont have your moral compass will you feel the same way? Many crimes throughout history have been committed by people that felt they were doing the right thing. That is a very slippery slope in afraid.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Have you ever heard the term go after the ball not the player???

Poor form man.

Look we all have our opinions about these things but we should be able to discuss them without becoming base.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.

If the law requires you to kill babies and drink their blood your not going to do it.

You know why?

You know its wrong thats why.

What happened to ATS?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

i said i was sorry
dont know what else to tell you

i wasnt going after you...

sorry again...k
edit on 1-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Stop acting ridiculous to prove a point.

If the law requires you to kill babies and drink their blood your not going to do it.

yeah.
cause this post is not ridiculous

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The only ridiculous thing here is people like you on your moral high horses thinking you know whats best for the country. You have an opinion, nothing more. It has no more value here than anyone else's opinion. I think if those people get ran over by a drunk driver while protesting in the middle of the road then they got what was coming to them. But that's just an opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
These responses could not be anymore childish.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

what i did was ask a question. i didnt speak for you.

you said 20 minutes and i mentioned an event where it was over an hour.

i would not presume to speak for you

and the road being blocked due to an accident is not the same thing

sorry if you felt like i was trying to speak for you. i was not

i was addressing something you said in this conversation

I was talking about how you altered my quote. As far as speaking for me. I am guessing you are not familiar with the quote functions so I am not making a big deal of it I just hope you quickly familiarize yourself.

As far as the cause of the road be blocked they had different causes and the same effect as an accident. I will be going to Miami the day after tomorrow and I plan on a 2 hour window where I expect an accident. Delays are a part of life we can either bitch about them and make them out to be things they are not or deal with them and move on. There are 7 billion plus people in this world so you can expect s#!t like that to happen now and then.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

i said i was sorry
dont know what else to tell you

i wasnt going after you...

sorry again...k

You apologized to Onequestion????

That was the post I was replying to.

"if you click the name in each post it will take you to the post which was replied to."

Anyway I am getting out of this thread it looks like it will be taking a turn for the worse.

Peace everyone.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, good discussion. To onequestion, the point of the thread isn't to totally criticize the tactic of blocking a street - I've done it before with a large group of people but on a "march" not a sit-in - but that tactic is not nonviolence and is not a tactic used in a real movement. It's disruption, annoyance, or just a way to get lots of people from point A to point B. I would personally draw a line at sitting in the street that someone in a crowd chose at random without a public announcement or notice to the authorities so they could re-route traffic.

There exist many causes to stand up for, all I'm saying is that this particular tactic was not in the arsenal of the people who organized the successful movements we used to read about in history books before they became history tablets.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Some how i don't think pissing off the people your trying to sway to your side is an effective way to protest. They made me late for work,,,, I think I'll listen to what they are saying now.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

You apologized to Onequestion????

That was the post I was replying to.

nope
absolutely nothing to apologize to him for...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I apologize to everyone for everything (there, that should cover it). One of the very nice things about ATS is that we are not supposed to go after posters but discuss their posts. When I was a semi-young ATS'er I had a back-and-forth with another member, and it got pretty bitter. Soon afterwards we became friends on ATS, and both of us learned we had a lot in common.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Can you pick the definition of violence that fits this situation please?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Number five will do nicely

The violence of his hatred...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Can you pick the definition of violence that fits this situation please?

I wouldn't call it overt violence, but it is still not a tactic used in the old nonviolent movements. Can you imagine Mohandas Gandhi, with his walking stick, saying "Now we will block this intersection, praise Rama", or Dr. King asking people to "Sit down in the street, lock your arms, and yell things". Other people have rights, and a nonviolent movement does not take away rights, it adds to them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join