It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCIENTIFIC STUDY REVEALS “CONSPIRACY THEORISTS” ARE THE MOST SANE OF ALL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
thespiritscience.net...

If you consider yourself awakened and seeking the truth – especially in government matters, people are quick to label you a crazy conspiracy theorist just so they can validate themselves.

Or marginalize you with the "people like you" designation when you bring in an alternative view.

In this study, a large group of commenters were examined on a news website, surrounding the topic of 9/11. Out of the 2174 comments collected, 1459 were coded as conspiracist and 715 as conventionalist. Right away its evident more people are thinking critically about ‘conspiracies’ rather than just disputing them.
In other words, the anti-conspiracy commenters we’re pushing on their own interpretations of the situation rather than focusing on what really happened.

There it is scientific proof....

edit on 1-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A comment on the study from one of the authors:

Michael Wood2014 Nov 30 07:45 a.m. (yesterday)edited 2 of 2 people found this helpful
As the first author of this study, I'd like to address a misleading headline that's been making the rounds lately: the idea that this study says that people who believe 9/11 conspiracy theories are better-adjusted than those who do not. This grossly misinterprets our results: this study says nothing about mental health, and its results do not justify any conclusions about one group of people being more or less "sane" than another.
The main basis for this misinterpretation appears to be the observed difference in hostility between conspiracist (pro-conspiracy-theory) and conventionalist (anti-conspiracy-theory) comments. On average, conventionalist comments tended to be somewhat more hostile. In the paper, we interpret this difference as the product of a fairly specific social situation in which the two rival opinion-based groups use different strategies of social influence according to their relative popularity, rather than as an inherent psychological difference. In fact, previous research by Marina Abalakina-Paap and colleagues has shown that dispositional hostility is positively, not negatively, correlated with beliefs in conspiracy theories. However, that finding doesn't necessarily justify the conclusion that conventionalists are better-adjusted than conspiracists. Either of these conclusions relies on the unstated premise that hostility is never good or justified, and that less hostility is always better. This is at least an arguable assumption, and there's certainly no evidence for it here.
In general, I would urge anyone who found this paper via the "sanity" article to please think critically about headlines in the future. It is tempting to believe without question self-serving headlines that validate your prejudices and beliefs, but that's precisely when critical thinking is most important.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 1-12-2014 by Cambot because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Of course we are we question things dare to scrutinise dont just go along with everyone else accepting this bs i mean its when i step out side and see all the freaky integrated sheep that i am reminded i am sane!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Found the study and found this comment from one of the authors of the study.

"What about building 7?" A social psychological study of online discussion of 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Michael Wood2014 Nov 30 07:45 a.m. (yesterday)edited 2 of 2 people found this helpful As the first author of this study, I'd like to address a misleading headline that's been making the rounds lately: the idea that this study says that people who believe 9/11 conspiracy theories are better-adjusted than those who do not. This grossly misinterprets our results: this study says nothing about mental health, and its results do not justify any conclusions about one group of people being more or less "sane" than another. The main basis for this misinterpretation appears to be the observed difference in hostility between conspiracist (pro-conspiracy-theory) and conventionalist (anti-conspiracy-theory) comments. On average, conventionalist comments tended to be somewhat more hostile. In the paper, we interpret this difference as the product of a fairly specific social situation in which the two rival opinion-based groups use different strategies of social influence according to their relative popularity, rather than as an inherent psychological difference. In fact, previous research by Marina Abalakina-Paap and colleagues has shown that dispositional hostility is positively, not negatively, correlated with beliefs in conspiracy theories. However, that finding doesn't necessarily justify the conclusion that conventionalists are better-adjusted than conspiracists. Either of these conclusions relies on the unstated premise that hostility is never good or justified, and that less hostility is always better. This is at least an arguable assumption, and there's certainly no evidence for it here. In general, I would urge anyone who found this paper via the "sanity" article to please think critically about headlines in the future. It is tempting to believe without question self-serving headlines that validate your prejudices and beliefs, but that's precisely when critical thinking is most important.

Emphasis mine.
edit on 1-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I've always hated the term Conspiracy Theorist. It drives me nuts when I hear someone say 'Oh God, he's one of those Conspiracy nuts' it makes my blood boil. I've always ALWAYS said that its the conspiracy theoriest who keep governments honest, not news channels or tabloid news papers. IT. IS. US. No two ways about it, the sheeple who bow to the idea that governments aren't that bad, that they are always trying to do the best for the people will one day wake up and understand that this isn't true. And eventually, they will open their eyes and see that this world they so love is just a curtain hiding the real rulers, the real people who hold all the power and the only thing they can do is hold out their arms and say that us 'Conspiracy Nuts' were right.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danny85
I've always hated the term Conspiracy Theorist. It drives me nuts when I hear someone say 'Oh God, he's one of those Conspiracy nuts' it makes my blood boil. I've always ALWAYS said that its the conspiracy theoriest who keep governments honest, not news channels or tabloid news papers. IT. IS. US. No two ways about it, the sheeple who bow to the idea that governments aren't that bad, that they are always trying to do the best for the people will one day wake up and understand that this isn't true. And eventually, they will open their eyes and see that this world they so love is just a curtain hiding the real rulers, the real people who hold all the power and the only thing they can do is hold out their arms and say that us 'Conspiracy Nuts' were right.

Here here well said my friend!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Others have posted a comment from one of the authors but here's a more in depth article from them:

conspiracypsychology.com...

So conspiracy theorists have jumped on this study , and the subsequent articles, and got it completely wrong.

The study doesn't prove conspiracy theorists are more sane, it does prove, although unintentionally, that they will cling to a belief without fact checking.

Quite embarrasing really.

edit on 1/12/14 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Ahaa ino lol

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Please add to the existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Closed.

new topics

top topics

join