It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total US Debt Rises Over $18 Trillion; Up 70% Under Barack Obama

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

So? This tells me that Americans charged 32 billions dollars on their credit cards on Black Friday.

Black Friday is the day that American businesses are supposed to see black, as opposed to red, on their bottom lines, not Americans as individuals.

Excuse Me ... BUT

The Daily Treasury Statement that was released Wednesday afternoon as Americans were preparing to celebrate Thanksgiving revealed that the U.S. Treasury has been forced to issue $1,040,965,000,000 in new debt since fiscal 2015 started just eight weeks ago in order to raise the money to pay off Treasury securities that were maturing and to cover new deficit spending by the government.

During those eight weeks, Treasury took in $341,591,000,000 in revenues. That was a record for the period between Oct. 1 and Nov. 25. But that record $341,591,000,000 in revenues was not enough to finance ongoing government spending let alone pay off old debt that matured.
Ponzi: Treasury Issues $1T in New Debt in 8 Weeks—To Pay Old Debt

PLUS ... I'm expecting to see more PAPER-n-INK:

OPEC Policy Ensures U.S. Shale Crash

AND

Backfire ... ( i.e. having 2nd-thoughts )

-
OPINION: The 'Reality'

edit on 1-12-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

You're losing yourself in your own analogy.

The United States isn't a private citizen, it's the most powerful country in the world. This isn't some misplaced nationalism here. It is a cold, hard, truth. The United States could give the rest of the world the bird tonight, bring all of it's troops home, close it's borders, and do no international trading for decades and be just fine.

We don't need the rest of the world. We like the rest of the world.

They have been providing us with a very cushy existence for years.

No government in the world can collect on any debts from the United States.

FALSE.. The only ones calling us greatest now are ourselves, and that number drops by the hundreds each day.. Their are things called strategy, that people use, it is a craft and a strategy is in effect against the USA.. One day some madman will be crazy enough to challenge a COUNTRY that can and will blow the world up if aloud if attacked.

The day when the secret weapon is made ahem hence the word secret weapon, to be used against AMERICA, from one of her countless enemies it will be used...

All countries once great have fallen.. Egypt, ROME, even the great British and French empires etc. Spain etc.

Germany during ww2 thought as the same as some of this ideology I am reading..

If we were so great why do we have a 18 trillion dollar debt? Why did'nt we do something at 1 trillion? If we were great we would have proof of greatest NOW, not from the past...

(post by AgentShillington removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

except the gov can still come take those assets away from the private citizen who owns all that......

They sure can.

Just like when Roosevelt confiscated the publics GOLD.

Just like they do now raising taxes on them 'evil' rich.

And with the wave of his mighty pen, just added trillions more with the student loan debt.

And Amnesty for illegals.

By the time Obama leaves office the national debt will be over 20 trillion dollars.

It was 10 trillion he took over.

But deficits are 'shrinking' ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and that wasn't counting the cost the ACA has added to the debt.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

Yup.

Empires fall.

We haven't seen the end of ours. Hell, we aren't even 300 years into ours yet, we live on the other side of the world from any real Geo-political threat, we have the biggest military in the history of the world, the world literally runs on our currency, and our debt is largely our own making.

Like I said, I'm not simply a blind nationalist. I'm a friggin MARXIST that WISHES the United States wasn't as powerful and all encompassing on the world stage as it is, but facts are facts, and wishing it was different isn't going to make it so.

Believe me, I've tried.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

No , im a realist........

I know the country isnt what it use to be, I know we dont produce as much as we use to, and I know we arent as self sufficient was we use to be......

Again just like on another thread, youre trying to make this personal about me.........it has nothing to do with me....

Facts are facts, and we dont have a working class like we use to , and we dont have production like we use to...

Keep the thread topics about the topics and not about the posters

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

No , im a realist........

I know the country isnt what it use to be, I know we dont produce as much as we use to, and I know we arent as self sufficient was we use to be......

Again just like on another thread, youre trying to make this personal about me.........it has nothing to do with me....

Facts are facts, and we dont have a working class like we use to , and we dont have production like we use to...

Keep the thread topics about the topics and not about the posters

Well, we are talking about your opinion, are we not?

It is your opinion that Americans aren't what they used to be.

It is my opinion that you are wrong.

I'll leave my opinion of it at that, and allow you to backtrack and reinvent what you meant at your leisure.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

lol no were not......

Were talking about reality, look at the markets, look at our imports and exports...

look at our energy industry in fossil fuels and production......

No those are facts......

I dont have to reinvent anything, because the truth stands on its own merit....

Just because you dont like what I said , doesnt mean its not accurate

edit on 12/1/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Americans are not what the use to be.

Hell we have too many takers, and not enough makers.

Where we have state mandated corporate fascism with social programs which is THE LEADING cause of public debt.

Hell if it wasn't for defense spending that creates blue collar jobs, that actually pay income taxes.

The poor would really be hurting.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

If and when the U.S. defaults, the people will have nothing to say.

The control circuits lie at the international levels.

Like the Bank for International Settlements for example.

They have a committee (the Basel Committee) that sets most guidelines for Central Banks worldwide including the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess they didn't get the message with the credit downgrades.

The US is a bad risk.

And we are a bad risk because we are spending too much.

They haven't learned nothing on capitol hill.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
it` doesn`t matter that it`s 18 trillion or 80 trillion it`s not like we will ever have to actually pay that money back.

America has the most technologically advanced and most powerful mercenary armed force in the world,nobody wants to see us go bankrupt because than who would protect them?
Who would protect all those oil rich countries?
who would buy all that oil?
who would buy all that Chinese made junk?
Who would they get all their foreign aid from?

America is too big to fail.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yup and the Chinese have been around well over 300 years, they also have better experience in economics etc.

Not quite sure if I share your patriotism after seeing the state of the Nation since about 2001.

I have been alive long enough to expect the unexpected, at all times...

When the debt clock start going down and not up, I am sure we will all have better attitudes because our way of life will be much better, but right now it is just spiraling out of control, and it is a negative effect on paper and in science..

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76

Yup and the Chinese have been around well over 300 years, they also have better experience in economics etc.

Not quite sure if I share your patriotism after seeing the state of the Nation since about 2001.

When the debt clock start going down and not up, I am sure we will all have better attitudes because our way of life will be much better, but right now it is just spiraling out of control, and it is a negative effect on paper and in science..

"better experience" isn't how I would describe the Chinese. "More experience" for sure, but much of there economic policy is taking the worst of Capitalism and Communism and putting too much faith in the US Dollar, which I think is a recipe for failure.

Don't misunderstand my opinion for Patriotism, I'd absolutely love to watch it all burn, I just happen to believe that it wont ever happen because of our debt. I mean, even if you take away the -military-, there are about 30 guns for every American in this country, and even the most ardent of pacifists are going to think twice before allowing a genocide to occur on their way of life without at LEAST trying to defend themselves.

And that's what a default looks like. Because, as I stated earlier, what does it even mean? How is someone going to collect on a debt that is written on fiat currency controlled by the debtor?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

originally posted by: Bicent76

"better experience" isn't how I would describe the Chinese. "More experience" for sure, but much of there economic policy is taking the worst of Capitalism and Communism and putting too much faith in the US Dollar, which I think is a recipe for failure.

exactly.

The war for America, is not going to be conventional, it will be an act you or me have never seen, we wont be able to see much of it on a large scale either, if at all...

It will also be over money land and resources etc. Have no doubt in your mind their are Armies that want to pillage our cities and rape our women.. Look at what OPEC, is doing to fracking... There are things at work a bit more complex, and above me and your ATS forum pay grade. Truth is we dunno what is going to happen tomorrow, we can believe all we want to that no one will attack us for not paying off our trillions owed but we don't know that...

Anyhow I will agree to disagree with you this evening.. Good night.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Somebody should figure out how much interest is paid on that loan and who pockets that money.

Interest paid on 18 trillion dollars should come out to quite a bit; probably a large percentage of, if not equal to, all of the taxes paid by all of the people and businesses in the Unites States every year.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Somebody should figure out how much interest is paid on that loan and who pockets that money.

Interest paid on 18 trillion dollars should come out to quite a bit; probably a large percentage of, if not equal to, all of the taxes paid by all of the people and businesses in the Unites States every year.

The Treasury books are online.

Not easy to decipher but....

look for "Interest on Treasury Securities"

for example, the interest paid so far this fiscal year is around $40.8 billion.

Daily Treasury Statements

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

My understanding matches Farley's post...the rest of the Rich has been investing here rather than any place else is worse. For three months.
Perceived "improving economy".
edit on 2-12-2014 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

No It Means They Used There Money To Buy bonds meaning taking the total price of bonds is also not an accurate to measure debt. Was just a fun way for the press to scare people. Retailers start putting money into bonds to save on taxes that's why you see the jump it continues until january. Retailers won't get alot of interest there short term just hiding the money from uncle sam.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

a single graph would be worth a thousand words particularity when the various presidencies are included in the graph

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join