It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally saw the full effect of Illegal Immigration in Los Angeles. We're in trouble.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Good thing I didn't do that then huh?
But nice attempt at deflection.
edit on 6-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Good thing I didn't do that then huh?
But nice attempt at deflection.

I thought I was agreeing and supporting what you were saying.

Not sure what you think I meant.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Well, then I appear to owe you an apology then.
I apologise.
I had precious little context and your comment can be taken as an accusation that I was a hypocrite.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Well, then I appear to owe you an apology then.
I apologise.
I had precious little context and your comment can be taken as an accusation that I was a hypocrite.

Whites have many languages.

Native Americans have many cultures.

Neither are all the same.

edit on 6-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tatanka
Well, all I have to say is, if you come to my reservation, or at least drive through it on your way to somewhere else, hope you can speak a bit of Lakota if you want to understand what some folks are saying because here in America, many natives still speak our languages. We are 500 + nations and proud. Hate to break it to ya, but English is not the native language here. It must be difficult watching white privilege enjoyed by so many generations take a back seat. I don't know.

With that said, this native woman believes that our borders need to be protected, and immigration, legal. Yes, we are a nation built on the backs of immigrants, but we should still follow the laws that are set in place to protect American citizens. I have no problem if you want to come here legally and set up little Havana for yourselves. Just do it legally, with dignity and pride.

You live on a Reservation. It's understandable that English is not spoken there. I wouldn't want it to be. I think your language should be fully preserved.

But you didn't break out of your reservation, invade other countries, and insist that THEY speak Lakota like the Illegals.
You don't insist that we all cater to you and speak and learn Lakota. I don't see documents in Lakota. Or "LSL" language classes. Natives don't INSIST that other people take their culture, language, etc.

Side Note: More native influence in the U.S. would be cool. I wish I spoke a native language and NOT Spanish, to be honest.
edit on 6-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

o.O
Uhm.
Yes..............

?

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Not going to happen. People are liars. Many times they can't help it. You see what you want to see.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well move to New england its 99% white , English speaking
& its not gonna change anytime soon
edit on 7-12-2014 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

originally posted by: Tatanka
Well, all I have to say is, if you come to my reservation, or at least drive through it on your way to somewhere else, hope you can speak a bit of Lakota if you want to understand what some folks are saying because here in America, many natives still speak our languages. We are 500 + nations and proud. Hate to break it to ya, but English is not the native language here. It must be difficult watching white privilege enjoyed by so many generations take a back seat. I don't know.

With that said, this native woman believes that our borders need to be protected, and immigration, legal. Yes, we are a nation built on the backs of immigrants, but we should still follow the laws that are set in place to protect American citizens. I have no problem if you want to come here legally and set up little Havana for yourselves. Just do it legally, with dignity and pride.

You live on a Reservation. It's understandable that English is not spoken there. I wouldn't want it to be. I think your language should be fully preserved.

But you didn't break out of your reservation, invade other countries, and insist that THEY speak Lakota like the Illegals.
You don't insist that we all cater to you and speak and learn Lakota. I don't see documents in Lakota. Or "LSL" language classes. Natives don't INSIST that other people take their culture, language, etc.

Side Note: More native influence in the U.S. would be cool. I wish I spoke a native language and NOT Spanish, to be honest.

Many illegals do not want our Culture.

They have what's to them a beautiful Culture.

They want our money and a job...They have no interest in our Culture.

They want to relocate here and live the same way they did in their home Country.

Also, they don't want the locals to have anything to do with them.

Pesky laws included.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere
For a huge chunk of them I have met in the tristate area, they don't even want to make a new life there. They are sending all their money back home, and plan on working for 10-15 years, then going back home.

edit on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:36:59 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
For a huge chunk of them I have met in the tristate area, they don't even want to make a new life here. They are sending all their money back home, and plan on working for 10-15 years, then going back home.

These are some of the hardest working people I have ever met.

Many send most of their money home.

Most are here just trying to feed their Family.

They are proud of where they are from. They should be.

Most are just in America to survive. They didn't come here to be an American.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackz28

I'm in New England and there are plenty of Spanish speakers here. I worked for 8 years having to listen to Spanish most of the day. So...it has changed.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

They didn't come here to be an American.

Good post. Thank you - that post just (finally) answered my question!

:-)

These are some of the hardest working people I have ever met.

Many send most of their money home.

Most are here just trying to feed their Family.

They are proud of where they are from. They should be.

It's about survival - and nothing more. I understand why this bothers people - just in case you were wondering. I also understand the problems that come with illegal immigration, especially in the numbers we're looking at

In my hippy-dippy universe - I know the truth is that we would be no different if our economy was tanking and our social structure made it difficult to live or provide for our families

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

originally posted by: blackz28

I'm in New England and there are plenty of Spanish speakers here. I worked for 8 years having to listen to Spanish most of the day. So...it has changed.

Were you around before the "Fair Housing Act"?

Before the FHC you could choose who you sold or rented to. Communities congregated by type. Communities kept "undesirables" out.

Because people, all people, can now live anywhere they want, they do.

edit on 7-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

In my hippy-dippy universe - I know the truth is that we would be no different if our economy was tanking and our social structure made it difficult to live or provide for our families

Actually, that is happening.

Retired American seniors on a fixed income are moving to foreign countries for better quality of life.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It wasn't until the real estate bubble popped that the problem became apparent. When there was plenty of work for everyone, people tollerated it. Yeah, plenty of those illegals are decent people, just trying to make it.

When the work is not plenty, companies that are on the up and up are driven out of business. When legit construction crews are forced to bid the same jobs as shady construction crews, and money is tight, the shady ones get the jobs. It isn't right, and it isn't fair, but only people that are affected care. If illegals were moving in and taking lawyers' work for example, you would see change in policies and legislation so fast our heads would spin lol.

edit on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:20:26 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
It wasn't until the real estate bubble popped that the problem became apparent. When there was plenty of work for everyone, people tollerated it. Yeah, plenty of those illegals are decent people, just trying to make it.

When the work is not plenty, companies that are on the up and up are driven out of business. When legit construction crews are forced to bid the same jobs as shady construction crews, and money is tight, the shady ones get the jobs. It isn't right, and it isn't fair, but only people that are affected care. If illegals were moving in and taking lawyers' work for example, you would see change in policies and legislation so fast our heads would spin lol.

You're right...

When I was a little kid I remember asking my Parents "Why don't we help them"?

Mexico needs our help. These people don't want to be in this strange land.

They have no security. They are being exhorted from every level.

I know this to be a fact...If I had to dig a hole to crap in every morning.

And, I heard a 1000 miles from here they crap in porcelain...

I would be on my way. I'll bet anyone reading this would be going with me.
edit on 7-12-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
What's worse than illegals taking American jobs? Can there be anything economy-wise?

Yes. Legal immigrants with work visas- H-1B taking American jobs, in the US. Driving down wages and resulting in Americans scrambling for American jobs.... in their own country. How H-1B Visas Are Screwing Tech Workers

It's the last days, my friends....

And when the jobs created statistic reports come out, think about these jobs.. which helps the economy just a little. These kinds of jobs enable foreigners to work in the US and send a lot of money back home. Very much like what many illegal immigrants do here.

edit on 7/12/2014 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Not a good idea to have two windows open at the same time :-)

What I actually meant to say to you whyamIhere is - I'll bet some do want to be Americans after all is said and done

Nothing wrong with that. But the reality is - things aren't good there right now - haven't been for a while

I love Mexico - wouldn't mind living there myself. And I'm not talking about resort/vacation Mexico - it's an amazing country
edit on 12/7/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: confusion...

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

My original reply to whyamihere was for you Annee - and now it's gone forever

:-)

But, what you said was true

Basically - it was about meeting an elderly woman in Ensenada that had retired to a trailer down there because she could make here retirement money last longer

Also - a little something about her gluing seashells to everything she owned...a real kindred spirit

I've thought a long time about doing something just like that

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join