It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally saw the full effect of Illegal Immigration in Los Angeles. We're in trouble.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

The 80s and early 90s was way worse with gang violence. When I was in high school and a bit after.

It's ramping up again and the Cartels are more sophisticated here where they are doing deals from port towns and such.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

How exactly do you figure that Latinos were here first? I'm thinking that Lipan Apaches, Comanche, Hopi, and Navaho pretty much had the run of the southwest before the Spaniards showed up. Even after Mexico broke away from them they imported Europeans and Americans as a buffer to fill in the empty lands between them and the Native tribes.

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Kind of a shock when you first realize it, isn't it? I live in New Mexico, so it's a given that there's always been a large Hispanic population here, but even in the 15 or so years I've lived here, it's ballooned exponentially. It's not quite as bad as the OP described, but there are several places I go (including government offices) where it's hard to find someone who speaks English. If I have to call any local state offices or anything, I have to wait for a few minutes for the Spanish instructions to finish before finally getting to English, and then I usually have to go through 2 or 3 people before finding someone fluent in English. Even just 5 years ago, it wasn't like this.

I've even worked at more than one company that had Hispanic employees who spoke no English whatsoever, and after a few months there would be something wrong with their paperwork, so the companies would have to let them go. A day or two would go by, and they were back at their job, with a new name and new Social Security number, and nobody ever batted an eye. Hell, I had one employee who who was here from Juarez (legally, I might add). At first he spoke no English and I spoke no Spanish, but we always got along great. As we both started learning the other's language, he was just as shocked and disheartened by it as I was. Probably more so, seeing as how he had spent years and thousands of dollars going through the hoops to do everything the right way, just to see wave after wave of people waltz right across the border with no documentation getting the same or better jobs as he had spent so long working for. It's sad.

And before anyone even tries to accuse me of being racist, yes, I'm white, but many of my best friends are from Mexico, my former girlfriend was Puerto Rican, and my current girlfriend is Hispanic, so don't even go there.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think I'm gonna get out of this place after witnessing that. The fact I couldn't speak English to a triage nurse in an ER room in AMERICA was the last straw. I had severe hives and it ran away and my body went into chaos.

A mistranslation could have killed me. Should I literally DIE because of Illegal Immigration?

Oh wait, did I mention the lady that came in to make my bed couldn't speak a LICK of English either? How do you even make it in this country if you don't even know 20 words in the native language?

No E-Verify...SSN fraud rampant. They sell the cards at the park in the Downtown Area by the thousands, that's how. Guys troll the streets yelling "IDs IDs IDs".
edit on 1-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

that would be true, if you ignore history or take a simplistic view of history. In mexico, and most of latin america, people usually are the descendants of three groups, Iberians/Europeans (Portugal and Spain are both on the Iberian Peninsula) , Africans, and the Native-American populations. Most of the people coming from Mexico have lots of native-american ancestry, along with some european ancestors.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
first i'd like to say, if i was south of the border i'd be the first one jumping the fence to get out of that hell hole.
i'm in arizona, so i do understand the op's logic, yet disagree to a point.
it is not the fault of the illegals coming north, i do not blame them one bit.
it is just far to easy to do so, so who is to blame, the individual or?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rubbertramp
first i'd like to say, if i was south of the border i'd be the first one jumping the fence to get out of that hell hole.

Whatever is to blame. the Government, the Businesses, the Illegals themselves...this cannot be sustained. What I saw was so shocking I wanted to film it and make a documentary. I don't know what is going on but I know someone is being lied to and getting fleeced. Someone is fudging the numbers in the Medical Industry and sheer number of Illegals here to begin with.

I mean, it was so daunting I started a thread about it. I don't even really start threads.
edit on 1-12-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

All I'm going to say is that there is endless amounts of complaining and pushing to get English as a second language and Spanish this and that everywhere, and that's totally okay and being inclusive of other's cultures, but this guy has a hard time finding anybody that speaks English needs to just sit down and shut up and use this situation to think about his privilege or whatever.

Also, a guy who is expecting that people who've been in a country where the vast majority speak English for any reasonable length of time is a racist.

Okay, sure.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that it's racist that he didn't speak fluent Spanish and wanted a translator for English.

+8 more 
link   
culturally, the continual dilution of a native
population, with a steady and prolonged influx of
various others, inevitably leads to the point where
the original culture has been replaced entirely.

link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

The descendants of central Mexico native tribes have no more claim to southern U.S. lands than do Micky O'toole in New York.

+28 more 
link   

Better learn to speak Spanish.

Why, is he leaving the Country? Is he going to have a new career as an interpreter? Is he going to work for an International business where the language may be required? NO! There is no reason for any American to cater to just the Spanish speaking population for any reason! There are over 200 languages spoken here and when people immigrate legally, they learn English. We can all converse and understand one another. If we all spoke different languages all the time, there would be nothing but chaos!

Many States already have English as the official language and others are fighting for the same. Never before have we been forced to do this. If I moved to another Country, never in my wildest dreams would I expect the entire damned Country to speak my language and change for me. How rude and arrogant!

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Hey if you had health insurance you could have gone anywhere.

Sweetheart they were here first - don't forget it. You could use this as a learning experience. A taste of what minorities go through everyday.

Better learn to speak Spanish.

viva El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles

Are you aware of history? Latinos are not native to North America. They are a mix of native southern peoples and the Spanish. They did not exist until after Spanish conquest of southern American territories. They have zero claim to anything in the USA, as they too are invaders in the land of the Native American.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Well, according to that, he is basically right. Hispanics outnumber whites quite a bit. Hispanics make up 47.5%, non-Hispanic whites make up only 29.4%.

I grew up in Northern California, and it isn't much different. My home town of San Jose only has around 34% whites or something. I'm not sure what the current demographics of California are, but I would imagine they follow similar lines: roughly 1/3 non-Hispanic white, close to half Hispanic, the rest, a mix. The only real difference in statistics is that I remember there were a lot more Asian people around when I was younger.

Anyway, what is happening now isn't that much different from when I was a kid. I remember having to say the pledge of allegiance in English and Espanol in first grade (circa 1981). During class, a couple of interpreters were sitting with all the Spanish speaking kids and repeating everything the teacher said in Spanish. Another sat with the Vietnamese kids and did the same for them.

Ever since I was little the public hospitals in California were always slow, overcrowded, and staffed by people who had no business anywhere near the medical field.

My point being, it sounds like nothing has changed since I checked out of the Hotel California back in 98. Except that every time I return to visit family, the place inexplicably gets more and more expensive to live in.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If someone, anyone knows documentary film makers in or around the Los Angeles area, I think there is a treasure trove of secrets within the California medical systems, county hospitals, with respect to Illegal Immigration.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

originally posted by: rubbertramp

Whatever is to blame. the Government, the Businesses, the Illegals themselves...this cannot be sustained. What I saw was so shocking I wanted to film it and make a documentary. I don't know what is going on but I know someone is being lied to and getting fleeced. Someone is fudging the numbers in the Medical Industry and sheer number of Illegals here to begin with.

I mean, it was so daunting I started a thread about it. I don't even really start threads.

all are to blame, so what can be done?
i'm fully for locking down and securing the border, but we know that will not happen under any administration.
what else, round everyone up and send them south? yea right, never happen.
assimilate as americans to the hispanic culture?
i've also learned enough spanish to get by.
what else is there? accept it, or move somewhere else?
that's about it i'm afraid.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Sweetheart they were here first - don't forget it.

No they were not.
The Native American Indians were here first and the Hispanic people invaded them.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/1/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

What I saw was so shocking I wanted to film it and make a documentary. I don't know what is going on but I know someone is being lied to and getting fleeced. Someone is fudging the numbers in the Medical Industry and sheer number of Illegals here to begin with.

That's an excellent idea. Put it on Youtube and let folks get a look at what's going on. If a stupid cat video can get 1 million views, maybe your's will go viral too. Of course, that's if people can get their head out of the a$$ and stop watching stupid cat videos long enough to notice. That's a big if.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

why dont we just make all of our decisions based on what was happening 100 or 200 or 300 years ago?

lets pretend that.... the romans are still here. ok go!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

If someone, anyone knows documentary film makers in or around the Los Angeles area, I think there is a treasure trove of secrets within the California medical systems, county hospitals, with respect to Illegal Immigration.

Film makers in LA? The place is overrun with them. You produce it and I can guarantee that you can crew up in a matter of hours with just one craigslist ad.

This might help....it's what I use for my docs.

www.celtx.com...
edit on 1-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I think I'm gonna get out of this place after witnessing that. The fact I couldn't speak English to a triage nurse in an ER room in AMERICA was the last straw. I had severe hives and it ran away and my body went into chaos.

A mistranslation could have killed me. Should I literally DIE because of Illegal Immigration?

Oh wait, did I mention the lady that came in to make my bed couldn't speak a LICK of English either? How do you even make it in this country if you don't even know 20 words in the native language?

No E-Verify...SSN fraud rampant. They sell the cards at the park in the Downtown Area by the thousands, that's how. Guys troll the streets yelling "IDs IDs IDs".

What happened to you is unacceptable! Those who come here legally respect our laws and language and have for many, many years. It seems that with the uncontrolled numbers of illegals that things began to change.

I too was made to feel as though I left my own Country at my last place of employment being forced to listen to Spanish most of the day every day. We had Africans and Asians and other people who spoke their own languages but whenever in the company of anyone who didn't speak their language, they spoke English! They had respect. They weren't catered to. They didn't tell us we had to speak THEIR language!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join