It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally saw the full effect of Illegal Immigration in Los Angeles. We're in trouble.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You wrote all that and still won't answer my simple question.

Answer mine, then ask me anything you want...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Do you consider someone a troll simply because they disagree with you?

You've been here since September?

:-)

Welcome

You let me know if you want to continue this discussion - I'm up for it if you are

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

You wrote all that and still won't answer my simple question. Answer mine, then ask me anything you want...

I did answer it

If you're not going to read what I wrote - there's not much else I can do

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: lme7898354
Another fact is yes Mexico has been around a lot longer than the United States, so if Mexico is so great why can't they take care of their own? Corrupt government, drugs, gangs and no jobs, that's not the fault of the people of this country, but Mexico is bleeding refugees over our borders. They have no skills, can't speak the language so who do you think picks up the bill for this? If the Hispanic people love Mexico so much why don't they take the initiative and fix their own country instead of becoming a burden on an already overtaxed American economy.

Wow...the ignorance is strong with this one. How much intelligence does it take to say "if you love Mexico so much, why don't you marry it"?

Did you know that illegals do pay taxes? In fact, they even have taxes taken out of their payroll checks, yet many do not file taxes for a return? That money is just left for the government to use. Do they not pay sales taxes, state and local taxes and property taxes?

Also, it's not as bad in Mexico as we are led to believe. Yes, they have their problems, but most of them come to America with the idea that they can do even better. Wouldn't you do the same if you had the chance?

But I think it's real funny that you expect the Mexicans to stay home and fix their country, yet instead of looking at how we can fix our problems here....you blame the mexicans for being a burden.

Pot meet kettle?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

You wrote all that and still won't answer my simple question. Answer mine, then ask me anything you want...

I did answer it

If you're not going to read what I wrote - there's not much else I can do

I'll make it simple...

What do you tell the people doing the hard work to become a legal citizen ?

I read every word you wrote...
edit on 3-12-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lme7898354
a reply to: FyreByrd

It's not a matter of what nationality they are, but rather the fact that we have laws in this country that provide a way to come to this country and become a productive citizen. That process includes learning the language and customs to be able to conduct everyday business. We're borrowing money from China, we have homeless Vets and people in New Orleans who still haven't recovered from Katrina. And these lawbreakers come here and get free medical, food stamps and free education paid for not by them but by the American taxpayers.

I will happily concede there is a 'legality' issue here and that 'illegal' immigration is to be discouraged. I believe the best ways to improve the situation (and safety of so called 'illiegals') is to ensure their home countries are safe and economically viable.

You mess up your point by going on a tangent about China, etc. as those are not relevant to the issue.

In fact the OP's rant is about an overwhelming conspiracy by immigrants to invade and take over the country. His perceptions are not born out in fact. They may be how he experiences his world, I don't dispute that. But I do dispute the assertation that THEY are talking over the city of Los Angeles. The changing racial(and latinos are Caucasians just like white people) composition of LA is largely from births not from immigration.

Misrepresenting the facts or rather stating your perception of reality as fact is used by those without valid argument.

I get it - this poster thinks LA is being overrun by Spanish Speakers (as being Brazilian his forebearers would have spoken Porteguese) and he has a right to feel that way and his experience may support it. However that doesn't make it fact nor does it make it my experience.

The OP claims to KNOW when he only FEELS.
edit on 3-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: sheepslayer247

What changes have been forced on you? Can you not live your life and speak your language?

Nope, not when my co-workers were yacking in their own language. I would sometimes say, "Hey, the little white lady is bored and lonely over here." They would laugh and then we would all talk and laugh and have a great time. Then wham back to Spanish. Sigh...I could always talk to the other foreign speakers though because they would speak English unless they were alone amongst themselves.

Maybe they were talking about you.... as it is all about you.

Actually they were talking about the Africans. They got along sometimes like fire and water. I had to physically stand between them once. No, I was well liked. They bought me beautiful Birthday gifts and for xmas as I did for them. They knew how I felt about their language thing. They said it was easier for them when they were all together like that and that's why they did it. They even apologized sometimes. They knew I wished they would become citizens. They knew I didn't like that they were lying to receive benefits etc. I was honest.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I suck at languages and tried so hard to learn greetings and words from a bunch of languages that were spoken my co-workers and I did,but I could never converse with any of them in their language. They on the other hand understood and spoke English. I always told them how I admired that. But If I was forced to leave my Country it would have to be to one who spoke my language or I'd be completely lost.

My mother loved Mexico - she could never learn a word of Spanish. Everything you just said - there - this is the whole thing. Were they forced to leave their country? Circumstances are not always the same thing as a gun to your head. Language is one part of this - feeling unwelcome is another - sticking to your own kind - that makes up the rest

And that goes for both sides in this

But things like what the OP spoke of should be unacceptable. Would you want your life or your child's or another loved one put in that position? I highly doubt it. Would you like to lose job opportunities because you couldn't learn a certain language? Not everyone can just pick up another language. I can understand if some Spanish speakers don't understand English and never will, but to come here to live was their choice. An entire Country shouldn't have to cater to them any more than a foreign Country shouldn't have to cater to me.

We have to accept (I guess) that the OP is giving us an accurate description of what happened there that night

I had a friend that needed an emergency appendectomy - in Russia - years ago, before the wall came down and it was still Soviet Russia. Long story... In any case - if he hadn't spoken fluent Russian, he would have been at the mercy of the medical staff there. He said that the conditions were horrible - substandard compared to American hospitals, But the doctors were excellent - he received excellent care - and they saved his life. If I had been in his place? No difference. I don't speak Russian

My mom was once seriously ill in Mexico. Guess what? She received excellent medical care

Do you think Mexicans - even non English speaking Mexicans - would give you less than adequate medical care?

If you want to know why this whole thread bothers me so much - that's it right there

A special kind of assumption - dressed up as legitimate anger at some kind of supposed insubordination

edit on 12/3/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: This time it was Russian

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I said it plain as day

Go back and read - I'm making this as simple as I can for you

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I said it plain as day

Go back and read - I'm making this as simple as I can for you

I saw nothing resembling a coherent answer.

Can you please indulge me in a 1000 words or less.

ADD: Where did you go ? We usually argue for at least 20 pages. I feel cheated.
edit on 3-12-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Dude... If what you say is true then a racist rant about the city of LA and immigration laws is certainly NOT the answer!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You asked me what do we say to all the immigrants that come here legally?

My answer is back in that post

I'm not going to indulge you - you're being a little too bossy about the whole thing

And I stepped away from my computer for a bit - but I'm back

Sorry to disappoint

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
So, you don't have an answer...That is a first.

Sorry if I seem bossy. No disrespect intended.

I think I found someone who likes to argue as much as I do.

Back to your answer non answer.

If I said pretty please would you indulge me ?

Because people in line hate all the illegal immigration.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Life isn't fair. Immigration is an issue in flux and must be dealt with differently than we have dealt with it in the past. That's what you tell them.

To the OP. Sounds like it's time to learn Spanish! Buena suerte!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

So, you don't have an answer...That is a first.

We live in different times. This is a problem without a real solution. If we all want to ignore that and pretend that this is some bygone era when things were different then we could have that discussion - but it still won't change anything

All these threads that attack illegal immigrants - precisely because they're illegal - are missing the point

I have nothing I CAN say to those that made it here legally except: God! - you are so lucky!

Sorry if I seem bossy. No disrespect intended.

No problem - I was kidding anyhow

I think I found someone who likes to argue as much as I do.

True. I'm also (at least, but probably more) as stubborn as you too

edit on 12/3/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Life isn't fair. Immigration is an issue in flux and must be dealt with differently than we have dealt with it in the past. That's what you tell them.

To the OP. Sounds like it's time to learn Spanish! Buena suerte!

I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear "Life is not Fair".

Hispanics I know are some of the worst critics of Illegal immigration.

However, at least you answered the question...Thanks

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Fair enough...

At least I got a good chuckle out of your post.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear "Life is not Fair".

Hey, I wasn't thrilled to hear that I had breast cancer. Life ISN'T fair. It's just the truth.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

Here's my problem with that argument.

These illegals for the most part are very hard workers.

They must drive on the same roads as me and my family.

All the road signs are in English. You can't buy insurance without an SS#

Some of their cars don't meet safety standards.

A child and her mother at my kids school was killed by a drunk illegal with no insurance.

My objection to these people being here is strictly Law and Order.

I certainly respect you point of view and share it to a degree.

Your example does nothing to help you make this case as it is easy to argue that many US citizens (more perhaps then the un-documented) have substandard cars, no insurance, and indulge in driving under the influence of various substances.

And here, in California, there have been repeated attempts to remedy that specific problem with varying degrees of success.

But the legalities were never the 'INTENT' of the OP just wild accusations about the undocumented without factual support.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

a reply to: sheepslayer247

What changes have been forced on you? Can you not live your life and speak your language?

Nope, not when my co-workers were yacking in their own language. I would sometimes say, "Hey, the little white lady is bored and lonely over here." They would laugh and then we would all talk and laugh and have a great time. Then wham back to Spanish. Sigh...I could always talk to the other foreign speakers though because they would speak English unless they were alone amongst themselves.

Maybe they were talking about you.... as it is all about you.

Actually they were talking about the Africans. They got along sometimes like fire and water. I had to physically stand between them once. No, I was well liked. They bought me beautiful Birthday gifts and for xmas as I did for them. They knew how I felt about their language thing. They said it was easier for them when they were all together like that and that's why they did it. They even apologized sometimes. They knew I wished they would become citizens. They knew I didn't like that they were lying to receive benefits etc. I was honest.

Kind - naw - self-centered much?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join