It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally saw the full effect of Illegal Immigration in Los Angeles. We're in trouble.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Because you take some Hippie dippy line of "they're human beings" to me, shows you come from a simple mind. You can't understand NUANCED thinking, because you're simple. Things make sense to you in bumper sticker form, or slogans on T-Shirts. The world is simple to you, like to a child.

They are human beings

You think my thinking is simple?

OK - but that doesn't change anything

There will be more

Now, why are they here?

Done with you. Goodbye. Going to work.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

a reply to: whyamIhere

You don't want me to understand what you're saying - you want me to agree with what you're saying

What I'm saying is - they are here for a reason. They're human beings

So the qualification for immigrating to the United States is now "be a human being?" I guess that covers the Mexicans. Nothing we can do about it, guys. Spiramirabilis amended the INA when we weren't looking. Every human being has every right to enter and remain in the US now. But what about the Zeta Reticulans? Can we at least keep them out?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

You're lying, because you're trying to goad this thread into being about just language. You know this isn't true in the face of everything I've written here. But you're a disingenuous liar. And that's what liars do. No amount of cutsie smiley faces you post with your threads as a passive aggressive 'taunt' can change that. people aren't as dumb as you are, or as you think THEY are. You're actually quite transparent. And your inability for nuanced thinking shows your simple. Simple people think they're cute through passive aggression. But you're as obvious as a wart on a nose.

If you're thread isn't about language - why did you make it about language? Were you lying?

What is this thread about?

:-)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

What do you say to the tens of thousands doing it the right way.

You should of crossed the border illegally just like us ?

Why won't you answer that...I think it's a valid question ?

link   
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli

So the qualification for immigrating to the United States is now "be a human being?"

Is that what I said?

No, I'm pretty sure it's not :-)

For as long as they are here, for whatever reason they are here - how shall we treat them?

What do you plan to do about immigration then? What's your very best idea?

link   

a reply to: Night Star

Some of the illegals I knew were here for many years, understood and spoke English...when they felt like it.

Naughty naughty Mexicans - how dare they?

Years from now - farther down the road (when it's not at all useful to this thread) most of these people (if not all) will not only be speaking English - they will also be voting Republican

Seriously Night Star - do you ever give this a rest? How does this affect you - other than it just pisses you off?

Maybe it pisses me off because I have a hard time learning all the languages that are spoken around here and since they all know English, I don't see why we should cater to just one group. I love to see people come together, to be able to communicate, laugh and share their lives with each other. Can we expect all our foreign speaking immigrants to come here and learn 200 languages? That is not even feasible. What is so wrong with uniting people for God's sake? And how do you think other foreign speakers feel when only one group is catered to and it's not them? Have you spoken to them? I have.

It affects me a great deal what happened to the OP. I can't in my wildest dreams imagine one of my loved ones being treated like that in their own Country. Lives are in danger at that place because people just want to speak Spanish. Is that ok with you? Seriously? Is that really ok?

And...during my last 8 years of employment I was forced to listen to mostly Spanish all day. It was very distracting and annoying and the other foreign speaking co-workers didn't like it when they spoke only Spanish either. They all knew and understood and spoke English very well. I felt like I left my own Country for the first time in my long life. I don't care if they want to speak their own language at home, on the streets or wherever, but on and off all day every day for 8 years at work just drove me batty. LOL I'm traumatized. LOL Sorry, trying to lighten the mood.

I also am upset because I myself would never dream of another Country catering to me like we do here for mostly one group. Who the hell am I to have an entire Country change and have to speak MY language to get a job so they could feed their families? I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound cold, but I would never expect that of another Country. Why the hell should another Country have to press a special number to hear their own language just because I and others like me who aren't even from there, speak another language? That is just bizarre to me.

I suck at languages and tried so hard to learn greetings and words from a bunch of languages that were spoken my co-workers and I did,but I could never converse with any of them in their language. They on the other hand understood and spoke English. I always told them how I admired that. But If I was forced to leave my Country it would have to be to one who spoke my language or I'd be completely lost.

But things like what the OP spoke of should be unacceptable. Would you want your life or your child's or another loved one put in that position? I highly doubt it. Would you like to lose job opportunities because you couldn't learn a certain language? Not everyone can just pick up another language. I can understand if some Spanish speakers don't understand English and never will, but to come here to live was their choice. An entire Country shouldn't have to cater to them any more than a foreign Country shouldn't have to cater to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I can see why you've made 5,941 comments on ATS, and only received 7,334 stars.

You're a borderline troll and of low value. I actually have wasted my time even responding.

Good luck with thousands of more dead and empty comments of no value.

Passive smiley face>>>>>>

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

It's not a matter of what nationality they are, but rather the fact that we have laws in this country that provide a way to come to this country and become a productive citizen. That process includes learning the language and customs to be able to conduct everyday business. We're borrowing money from China, we have homeless Vets and people in New Orleans who still haven't recovered from Katrina. And these lawbreakers come here and get free medical, food stamps and free education paid for not by them but by the American taxpayers.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I know - why are they here? is a hard question to answer - and nobody seems to be wiling to even think about it

Goodbye then - maybe we can continue this later?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

What changes have been forced on you? Can you not live your life and speak your language?

Nope, not when my co-workers were yacking in their own language. I would sometimes say, "Hey, the little white lady is bored and lonely over here." They would laugh and then we would all talk and laugh and have a great time. Then wham back to Spanish. Sigh...I could always talk to the other foreign speakers though because they would speak English unless they were alone amongst themselves.

edit on 3-12-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I know - why are they here? is a hard question to answer - and nobody seems to be wiling to even think about it

Goodbye then - maybe we can continue this later?

I ask you a simple question.

What do you tell the people that are doing the hard work to become a citizen?

Are they just stupid ?

To me it's a law and order question. Nothing else.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Hey if you had health insurance you could have gone anywhere.

Sweetheart they were here first - don't forget it. You could use this as a learning experience. A taste of what minorities go through everyday.

Better learn to speak Spanish.

viva El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles

So because minorities experience difficulties, this somehow makes illegal immigration alright? .

Never said that.

By that logic - because 'some people are experiencing difficulties with un-documented people' it's okay to kill them.

Nope never said that.

The actual POINT I'm trying to make is that 'undocumented' people have little to do with the changing demographics of this country. Which seems to be the 'difficulty' that the OP is experiencing here in LA. And he is scapegoating an underclass of people because of his perception.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Another fact is yes Mexico has been around a lot longer than the United States, so if Mexico is so great why can't they take care of their own? Corrupt government, drugs, gangs and no jobs, that's not the fault of the people of this country, but Mexico is bleeding refugees over our borders. They have no skills, can't speak the language so who do you think picks up the bill for this? If the Hispanic people love Mexico so much why don't they take the initiative and fix their own country instead of becoming a burden on an already overtaxed American economy.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

Yep, the system is broken. I've been living in LA since 2002 and have seen a big change for the worse … What happened to you at the hospital is not right. No buts about it!

There are schools in LA (LAUSD) where the majority of the class doesn't understand English, but the curriculum is taught in English. I'm counting the days when Spanish speaking parents will sue the school for that. Actually, …

edsource.org...

Well I wonder what happened to bi-lingual education? We did have it in the past. But the 'wise' voters decided it would be better for all classes to be taught only in English in order to 'help' those whose mother tongue was different. In, fact, with the correct (tax paid) support I support this idea. The problem is there is no support for such students.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lme7898354
Another fact is yes Mexico has been around a lot longer than the United States, so if Mexico is so great why can't they take care of their own? Corrupt government, drugs, gangs and no jobs, that's not the fault of the people of this country, but Mexico is bleeding refugees over our borders. They have no skills, can't speak the language so who do you think picks up the bill for this? If the Hispanic people love Mexico so much why don't they take the initiative and fix their own country instead of becoming a burden on an already overtaxed American economy.

No - Mexico has not been around longer then the US. Check your facts.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

What do you say to the tens of thousands doing it the right way.

You should of crossed the border illegally just like us ?

Why won't you answer that...I think it's a valid question ?

Why won't you answer my question? It's equally as valid

When immigrants began pouring into this country last century - we needed labor and they were welcomed. Sorta

We live in different times. This is a problem without a real solution. If we all want to ignore that and pretend that this is some bygone era when things were different then we could have that discussion - but it still won't change anything

All these threads that attack illegal immigrants - precisely because they're illegal - are missing the point

I have nothing I CAN say to those that made it here legally except: God! - you are so lucky!

Our world is different today than it was even 20 years ago. The population is growing, resources are becoming something we fight over, there is less and less work - even in our own country, one of the most wealthy and successful countries on the planet

Immigration is a problem - not just here - everywhere. Ask Mexico - they're having their own issues right now

We have two choices. We can find a way to accommodate these people - or we find a way to shut them out and turn our backs on the resulting misery

Now, how do we do this - either way?

Our options are limited. The choices we make now will speak to our humanity - but I am not optimistic. I hear the way people reduce the problem down to the level presented by the OP in this thread - and all I hear is: They...

Bottom line - they are people. Same as you - same as me

It's not complicated - what do you think comes next?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

What changes have been forced on you? Can you not live your life and speak your language?

Nope, not when my co-workers were yacking in their own language. I would sometimes say, "Hey, the little white lady is bored and lonely over here." They would laugh and then we would all talk and laugh and have a great time. Then wham back to Spanish. Sigh...I could always talk to the other foreign speakers though because they would speak English unless they were alone amongst themselves.

Maybe they were talking about you.... as it is all about you.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Here's my problem with that argument.

These illegals for the most part are very hard workers.

They must drive on the same roads as me and my family.

All the road signs are in English. You can't buy insurance without an SS#

Some of their cars don't meet safety standards.

A child and her mother at my kids school was killed by a drunk illegal with no insurance.

My objection to these people being here is strictly Law and Order.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Well if any us walks into the hospital they first thing they want to see if proof of insurance and if we don't have it we pay. The illegals cross the border, get medicaid and pay nothing.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I happen to employ many Mexican people and they all like to gab away in spanish. Why would I care if they do? Another member of the management hates it when they talk in spanish because she is insecure and thinks that they are always talking about her.

As long as they are doing their job, I couldn't care less.

What I do care about is that they came here to work, and they work hard. They are loyal, respectful and are very family oriented. So they get my respect in return.

They play an important role in our economy and even though many are here illegal, could you imagine what would happen if we took them out of the economy?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join