It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 dead following 3 shootings in West Virginia, police say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

West Virginia state police launched a manhunt Monday for the suspect in three shootings that left four people dead, prompting schools to go on lockdown.

State police spokesman Lt. Michael Baylous says two of the shootings happened in the Westover area and the other occurred in the Cheat Lake area in Monongalia County.

Baylous identified the two victims from the Cheat Lake shooting as 39-year-old Sharon Kay Berkshire of Westover and 28-year-old David Frum of Maidsville.

4 dead following 3 shootings in West Virginia, police say

Not a whole lot on this yet but will update when there is more.....

Hopefully they catch him soon.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Updated...looks like he lost the "love of his life" to something and went on a killing spree.

A recent Facebook post of Hunt’s was frequently shared on social media Monday afternoon.

In the post, Hunt speaks of vengeance. He says “my actions were wrong but in my eyes just.”

He said he blamed the unloyal “love of my life” for “the devastation I caused to a few people[’s] lives” and hints at a plan to kill himself.

Source

(post by BerenstEiner removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Sometimes the holidays bring out the worst in people. All I can do when I read these things is shake my head and hold my family members a little tighter.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Surprise surprise.

Another mass murderer in the United States is a disgruntled white guy.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Nevermind - my glasses needed cleaning. So sorry.
edit on 1-12-2014 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So he shot up people then facebooked it?
Sounds like a pretty complete storyline this quick in the investigation.
Who wants to throw down a 20 on FFA?
...I'm in

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

he hinted at plans to kill himself
i hope he does...that would be nice....

people in general are making me very nervous lately

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
Surprise surprise.

This seems like a revenge killing, not a random murder spree. Big difference from a criminal psychology standpoint.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well this is what he wrote on his Facebook. “My actions were not right nor were the actions of those who tried to tear me down and take from me. This was not the plan but a struggle to see that those who strives to hurt me received their fair pay of hurt like I received.”

Thats so messed up

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Surprise surprise.

This seems like a revenge killing, not a random murder spree. Big difference from a criminal psychology standpoint.

Who said anything about random murder sprees? Mass Murder is Mass Murder, and most Mass Murderers in the States fit a certain profile.

Disgruntled White Male with Gun.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Actually, if you use facts in this sort of thing, African Americans conducting black-on-black shootings make up the most mass shootings. That's just not as popular for the media to report on, because it doesn't fit a certain narrative. And heaven forbid anything gets done about the rampant black-on-black violence in this country.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Highground

Actually, if you use facts in this sort of thing, African Americans conducting black-on-black shootings make up the most mass shootings. That's just not as popular for the media to report on, because it doesn't fit a certain narrative. And heaven forbid anything gets done about the rampant black-on-black violence in this country.

Well, again, we aren't talking about mass shootings or random murders.

Mass murders.

There have been over 200 mass murders since 2010 in the US.

They are overwhelmingly perpetrated by white males with firearms.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

I understand that it feels right for you to blame black people, but your narrative isn't supported with the facts that you suggest and I notice are severely lacking in your claim.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
That's only because "gangstas" can't aim for #.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Mass murders.

I understand that it feels right for you to blame black people, but your narrative isn't supported with the facts that you suggest and I notice are severely lacking in your claim.

Actually I think Asia takes the cake on mass murder by a small margin.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Mass murders.

Okay, this is just getting embarrassing.

My original post was clear.

Surprise surprise.

To deflect from this, people have tried to change my meaning from mass murder in the United States to...

Mass shootings...
Random Murders...
...and now Mass Murders in Asia.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Mass murders.

Okay, this is just getting embarrassing.

My original post was clear.

Surprise surprise.

To deflect from this, people have tried to change my meaning from mass murder in the United States to...

Mass shootings...
Random Murders...
...and now Mass Murders in Asia.

No deflecting at all....Asia has more mass murders than the US....simply pointing it out. No need to get your panties in a wad...

en.wikipedia.org...

Criteria for that list...

Rampage killings with six or more dead (excluding the perpetrator)
Rampage killings with at least four people killed and a double digit number of victims (dead plus injured)
Rampage killings with at least a dozen victims (dead plus injured)

So unless you don't consider that criteria mass murder or have some other definition of it, then these would be the numbers by country and Asia wins. By the criteria listed on Wiki though, this guy would not be considered a Mass Murderer.....not enough victims.
edit on 12/2/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Yet another deflection.

We aren't talking about "rampage killings", I don't even know what that is. I am discussing the very specific term used by the FBI to track crime in the United States.

Mass Murder. (link from Wikipedia, since you have indicated that it is a source you are interested in at least taking seriously)

en.wikipedia.org...

As you can clearly see, the definition of Mass Murder differs from that of the more ambiguous term of "Rampage Killing".

Four or more victims.

Not sure if the FBI is categorizing this as an official Mass Murder, but from the analysis I posted earlier in the thread, I would be surprised if it wasn't categorized as such, seeing as it took place over a shorter period than some, and all took place in the same county under the same motive.

Again, I wasn't talking about "Rampage killings" or "mass shootings" or "mass murder in Asia" or "random murders".

I used exacting language because what I said is based in factual information, not just what feels right.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yet another deflection.

We aren't talking about "rampage killings", I don't even know what that is. I am discussing the very specific term used by the FBI to track crime in the United States.

Mass Murder. (link from Wikipedia, since you have indicated that it is a source you are interested in at least taking seriously)

en.wikipedia.org...

As you can clearly see, the definition of Mass Murder differs from that of the more ambiguous term of "Rampage Killing".

Four or more victims.

Not sure if the FBI is categorizing this as an official Mass Murder, but from the analysis I posted earlier in the thread, I would be surprised if it wasn't categorized as such, seeing as it took place over a shorter period than some, and all took place in the same county under the same motive.

Again, I wasn't talking about "Rampage killings" or "mass shootings" or "mass murder in Asia" or "random murders".

I used exacting language because what I said is based in factual information, not just what feels right.

Well then by your own FBI definition you would be incorrect:

Mass murder (in military contexts, sometimes interchangeable with "mass destruction") is the act of murdering many people, typically simultaneously or over a relatively short period of time.[1]

The FBI defines mass murder as murdering four or more persons during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location where one or more people kill several others.[2][3] Many acts of mass murder end with the perpetrator(s) dying by suicide or suicide by cop.[4]

A mass murder may be committed by individuals or organizations whereas a spree killing is committed by one or two individuals. Mass murderers differ from spree killers, who kill at two or more locations with almost no time break between murders and are not defined by the number of victims, and serial killers, who may kill people over long periods of time. Mass murder is the hypernym of genocide, which requires additional criteria.

This would be a spree murder as it happened in more than one location.....and yes that is per the FBI from their site.

Again....Asia has more than the US, so I am not sure why you keep saying I am deflecting. Regardless, you are wrong about this being a "mass murder" according to FBI definition and you are using USA today as your source.....

Here is the quote defining the difference between mass and serial/spree murders from the FBI site so there is no confusion.

Most of the definitions also required a period of time between the murders. This break-in-time was necessary to distinguish between a mass murder and a serial murder. Serial murder required a temporal separation between the different murders, which was described as: separate occasions, cooling-off period, and emotional cooling-off period.

Generally, mass murder was described as a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders. These events typically involved a single location, where the killer murdered a number of victims in an ongoing incident (e.g. the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds incident in San Diego, California; the 1991 Luby’s Restaurant massacre in Killeen, Texas; and the 2007 Virginia Tech murders in Blacksburg, Virginia).

Source

Key phrases being single location, and no distinctive time period between the murders. Well this was a couple locations and he had to drive from one to the other. Now if they were next door to each other then sure, I could concede that, but since you are being so snippy about it then I have to disagree with your assessment as per the definition you are personally using for mass murder.

This means that your definition of mass murder, as well as the USA today link you posted, are incorrect and likely off in the numbers since they don't have the true definition as per:
Behavioral Analysis Unit-2
National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime
Critical Incident Response Group
Federal Bureau of Investigation
edit on 12/2/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join