It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Age of the Earth - Can it be trusted?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

What kind of shark tooth is that? It's big but looks too small to be a Megalodon. I love sharks but am not so good at identifying their teeth as I used to be.
edit on 12-2-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: format

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentAgent

And I've got letters saying I'm the Queen of Shiba. What's your point?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You're right science cant be trusted. Tell you what tomorrow leave the car at home and walk to work, You never know, when science says petrol is safe in an internal combustion engine they may be wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

What kind of shark tooth is that? It's big but looks too small to be a Megalodon. I love sharks but am not so good at identifying their teeth as I used to be.

I'm not entirely sure. Found it hiking through the Rio Puerco about a year ago. I think it's a Megalodon, but I'm no expert, by any means. Most of the one I've seen are bigger, but there seem to be a bunch even smaller than mine, looking through pictures on Google. Maybe I should find that out too, whenever I take it to UNM lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

In 2014 scientists say that carbon is warming the earth

Gee how stupid was I thinking that carbon (CO2 = more trees) is life giving, meaning more oxygen for us.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Tel me sketch you a hypothetical scenario.

I, someone that believes that the earth is younger that what the majority scientist believes, find an unfossilised dinosaur bone. I then take that bone to a couple of respective scientists that are open to a young earth idea. It gets identified as an Thescelosaurus bone.

I then take this bone to be dated. Let us say it gets dated as being 5 000 years old. I then tell them that it is a Thescelosaurus bone. They will then say that the unfossilised bone can not be that of a dinosaur, because the date is to young, and will try to ruin the reputation of the scientists that have identified it as being a dinosaur. They will then "take that bone for further testing", and I will never see it again. They will also claim that they never had an unfossilised dinosaur bone in their possession.

They will do this to keep the theory of dinosaurs dying out millions of years ago, intact.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Please keep us updated

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentAgent

Is this series of names a response to my request to see evidence of Young Earth scientists?

Because this is not "Evidence of Young Earth Scientists", be it either their existence, or their scientific evidence for claiming a young Earth.

The header says "We are sceptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged"

It would appear to be in the wrong thread.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

I'm not entirely sure. Found it hiking through the Rio Puerco about a year ago. I think it's a Megalodon, but I'm no expert, by any means. Most of the one I've seen are bigger, but there seem to be a bunch even smaller than mine, looking through pictures on Google. Maybe I should find that out too, whenever I take it to UNM lol.

It is a Megalodon Tooth.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

You're right science cant be trusted. Tell you what tomorrow leave the car at home and walk to work, You never know, when science says petrol is safe in an internal combustion engine they may be wrong.

I do walk to work! LOL! No need driving 2 miles!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

As for the 1.2 million year stone tool? Sure -- our early ancestors may have exhibited some cleverness. However, a relatively crude stone tool, no matter how clever it is for a non-human to fabricate, is not really evidence of a human civilization 1.2 million years ago.

So a tool manufacturing society is uncivilized? Where do you draw the line - the settling down from hunter gatherers to the agrarian farming/town building?

www.panafricanperspective.com...

Africa provides a comprehensive and contigious time line of human development going back at least 7 million years. Africa, which developed the world's oldest human civilization, gave humanity the use of fire a million and half to two million years ago. It is the home of the first tools, astronomy, jewelry, fishing, mathematics, crops, art, use of pigments, cutting and other pointed instruments and animal domestication. In short Africa gave the world human civilization.

en.wikipedia.org...

The earliest emergence of civilizations is generally associated with the final stages of the Neolithic Revolution, culminating in the relatively rapid process of state formation, a political development associated with the appearance of a governing elite. This neolithic technology and lifestyle was established first in the Middle East (for example at Göbekli Tepe, from about 9,130 BCE)

So have we been civilized 7 million years or 11 000 years.
I guess it all depends on what point you're trying to prove, or socio/political agenda to push

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

No, they will give you a Nobel prize. Run along now, no time to waste!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

( My personal opinion is that the earth is 7000 years old.)

That's much more reasonable than 6,000.

Is that before or after allowing for leap years. LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Just to be clear, are you saying young earth scientists does not have a say about science?

Of course you can have a say about it. Same way I can have my say and say that Christian Creationists worship a caananite god Baal/Jehovah. I even have your holy book that proves it. At least I have the evidence in black and white taken from your own book.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
Is this series of names a response to my request to see evidence of Young Earth scientists?

Because this is not "Evidence of Young Earth Scientists", be it either their existence, or their scientific evidence for claiming a young Earth.

The header says "We are sceptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged"
I was thinking the same thing. In fact there's nothing wrong with careful examination of evidence for evolution, we should be doing that.

I was led to believe it would be a list of names with a header saying "We the undersigned believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old" or something like that. The list provided says nothing like that.

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
So a tool manufacturing society is uncivilized?
Tools can be made in the absence of civilization. Here is a chimp making a tool but there is no sign of civilization:

Chimps observed creating and using tools.

Where do you draw the line - the settling down from hunter gatherers to the agrarian farming/town building?
To determine what constitutes a civilization I'd look at the definition of a civilization:

en.wikipedia.org...

a civilization ... is any complex state society characterized by urban development, social stratification, symbolic communication forms (typically, writing systems), and a perceived separation from and domination over the natural environment.
The development of tools may have led to civilization but as the chimps show making tools isn't a sign of civilization. I'd say the making of tools may, or may not, eventually lead to civilization.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

You did not create DNA form dust. If you can create DNA from just dust, and grow a fully functioning human from that, then I might thing Yes.

haha.. are you suggesting that the DNA didnt change after expulsion from eden. You realize that DNA wasnt even necessary in Eden as they couldnt breed until after expulsion.
What about life expectancy reduction after Noahs flood? Why wait all those generations from Adam to Noah before gods punishment sets in. Is this gods evolution in progress?

Where does it say that Adam grew? I thought he came fully formed. So what happened to our DNA?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

You did not create DNA form dust.

So how about lead into gold...does that count...or do we have to play the plant into animal game.

en.wikipedia.org...

It transpired that, under true nuclear transmutation, it is far easier to turn gold into lead than the reverse reaction, which was the one the alchemists had ardently pursued. Nuclear experiments have successfully transmuted lead into gold, but the expense far exceeds any gain

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I do walk to work! LOL! No need driving 2 miles!

So therefore cars dont run on petrol because you walk to work or better yet cars dont exist because you walk!
Hah. Typical evasion of my response to yours. Go back and re read your post and at least try to be intellectually honest.
What does it say in the NT about wilfuly misleading? But I guess you skipped that part because some small percentage of christians like you think christianity will come tumbling down based on the age of the earth.

You do realize that using the generational count of years of the patriarchs can not ever really reveal the age of the earth?

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

defn: Form is the shape, visual appearance, constitution or configuration of an object

Your answers right there...it had no form...therefore it was not earth as we know it. More importantly god made the earth as the same time as the heaven ie the sky, implying the universe. Are you seriously saying the universe is the same age as the earth?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Yeah I get that, but you conveniently missed my point as to when human civilization started ie 7 million or 11,000 years ago.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: IndependentAgent
My personal opinion is that the earth is 7000 years old.

Based on what?

If you say the bible ... well, large chunks of the bible have been proven wrong so it's unreliable.

If you say based on scientists ... well, didn't your opening post attempt to discredit scientists?

What are you basing that 7,000 year old Earth theory on?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join