It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to write Executive Order for police body cams

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Obama does something genuinely great...

Still gets bashed for it...

As the old saying goes, there is no pleasing some people...

And the thing the people up in arms don't realize is...if Congress worked WITH Obama instead of stonewalling him at every turn (even for good ideas), he wouldn't be writing executive orders. If I recall correctly, past presidents have signed more EO's than Obama.

"Stop resisting", it does have a certain ring to it, I'll grant you that.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland
Obama can write executive orders till his fingers bleed but their just pieces of paper with his autograph on it till the House decides to fund it. He may have a pen but he doesn't have the purse.

Local law enforcement departments should decide whether their officers wear these cameras or not, not the federal govt!

I would normally not like anything this joke signs but this is no longer a states rights issue when the states police are and have been out of control for a very long time.

I actually support Obama for doing this. If anyone has money to invest, I would invest in a big camera company first thing tomorrow if you can narrow down which company will get the no bid contract lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

Obama can write executive orders till his fingers bleed but their just pieces of paper with his autograph on it till the House decides to fund it. He may have a pen but he doesn't have the purse.

Local law enforcement departments should decide whether their officers wear these cameras or not, not the federal govt!

I would normally not like anything this joke signs but this is no longer a states rights issue when the states police are and have been out of control for a very long time.

I actually support Obama for doing this. If anyone has money to invest, I would invest in a big camera company first thing tomorrow if you can narrow down which company will get the no bid contract lol.

The issues I have with this as it is presented are the federal mandate to local government and, to be honest, transparency has always failed to deliver the goods, usually it merely creates another level of corrupt supervision such as internal affairs.

The obvious technical hurdles and possibility of circumvention is enormous.

If there must be national legislation then a national concealed carry law and revocation of surveillance prohibitions which tend to work against personal security.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

But that isn't about the 'states' police.

It's about local LEO's.

If OBama loves the thought of cams so much. How about he wear one with audio when he goes on about his daily business.

Hell that can be followed up with those 535 congressman as well.

When it comes right down to it.

The federal state has more blood, more corruption on it's hands than any local leo.
edit on 1-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

a reply to: eisegesis

Here is your proof that the civil right talks are tied in with Obama's executive order.

I asked for proof that Sharpton was directly involved with the Executive Order talks...

Not proof that he would have future involvement with Law Enforcement...

Obama proposes $263 million plan that will put body-worn cameras on police officers and reviews police 'militarization' as he meets Al Sharpton at the White House

Speculation ran rampant on Twitter that Sharpton would attend the civil rights meeting, and his representatives confirmed it just before lunch.

I don't understand how you thought Mr. Sharpton wouldn't have a hand in all this. He has been the spokesman of most alleged racial crimes and outcomes. Instead of Obama going out and polling the community, he uses one black guy to speak for them all.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

That's the same source as the OP my friend... I've read it and quoted it...

It says nothing about Sharpton being involved in the Executive Order...

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it seems people are bypassing the EO and fixated on a civil rights meeting...

Technically they're both on topic...

But I think the cameras are more important...

So that's what I've been discussing.

Not civil rights groups future involvement.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It wouldn't be hard for the police to have a device plugged into the camera that runs facial recognition.

Problem reaction solution. They needed the public to have to ask for it. Otherwise people would be complaining about the cops
fiming them and never think about facial recognion looking for certain people all the time.

Muhahahahah!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

As long as:
1) the camera can't be turned off, ever
2) the data can't be erased or modified by the cop or his buddies at the station
3) multiple copies are made any time the cop goes back TO the station, wirelessly
4) a set of laws goes along with it that requires:
a) the cop to have the camera on, functioning, and not obscured in order for him to have any authority as a law officer
b) if no recording of an encounter with a citizen exists, the LEO is assumed by the court to be lying
c) lack of a recording is assumed by the court to be destruction of evidence and charged appropriately
d) an independent oversight at the federal level that routinely pulls random cop video records, and upon finding gaps, decertifies the officer on the spot

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
LOL I just love how you guys have the blinders on to the republicans. Everything is Obama's fault. nothing good he does ever gets credit and of course...the republicans in congress have nothing to do with the mess this countries in?

Let's deny ignorance, Shall we.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Oh this is too funny.

The most vocal critics of government spying, and watching people, are now supporting.

More cameras everywhere!!!!

Their justification about violating 'civil' rights is now being used to 'protect' civil rights!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Oh the irony and drama !!

Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Oh the irony and drama !!

Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well.

Yeah I thought they woulda got that from the Patriot Act reference earlier.

It's justifcation? To protect us from the 'bad' people.

Cop Cams ? To protect us from the 'bad' people'.

LOL.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Obama does something genuinely great...

Still gets bashed for it...

As the old saying goes, there is no pleasing some people...

Exactly.

This is something many gave bern demanding now he does it they whinge.

Sure hes a bad president but in this hes done one good thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

But I think the cameras are more important...

More important? I'm pointing out what this executive order is really about and these cop cameras you are focusing on were actually born out of civil rights meetings that Al Sharptongue took part in, including Mike Browns mother. The ideas are nothing new but it takes a certain type of disaster to make them see the light of day.

Which would you rather have, an M16 for every local officer or cameras on every officer? The answer is, you get both! If you think cameras are more important, scrap this pale horse of an order and learn to film an officer the right way, by knowing your rights.

Obama wants to outfit local police officers with military grade hand me downs and your more interested in cameras? I guess that is the topic so I won't say anything more about the other parts.

edit on 1-12-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

But the camera are not for the people they are to spy on police IE agents of the goverment

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think you're still on topic...
Seeing as military grade equipment is part of the article.

And I think it's important you bring it up.

Would I, even as just a Londoner, rather it was just the cameras our American cousins had to deal with...
Certainly...

But those M16s are no more dangerous than a cop with a 17 shot hand gun & no camera...

So swings and roundabouts... Imo.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Al Sharptongue

Good one !!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: anon72

Oh god give me a break i support him in this.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Oh this is too funny.

The most vocal critics of government spying, and watching people, are now supporting.

More cameras everywhere!!!!

Their justification about violating 'civil' rights is now being used to 'protect' civil rights!

Same thing they blamed conservatives and republicans for when the Patriot Act came about......

I dont want this idiot signing any more EOs for ANYTHING, there are other ways to get this done..........

He got the exact reaction he wanted, People were angry about his EO for the Illegals, so he flips the script on this, so people can cheer on him using that EO privilege....in the wake of Ferguson.....his timing and technique really are masterful..

ANd the left feed RIGHT into it........yet dont see the hypocrisy between THAT and what led to the Patriot act....

unbelievable......

Im all for body cameras, but not through this avenue....
edit on 12/1/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No footage,,,, no charge

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join