It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to write Executive Order for police body cams

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Obama is holding meetings with Cabinet Secretaries and with Civil Rights people today.

He also plans to write an EO to make money available for police body cameras.

Some discussions will be about the police militarization projects.

Big action today in Washington D.C. concerning all the problems at Ferguson.

Al Sharpton will attend Monday White House civil rights meeting as White House proposes $263 million plan to put body-worn cameras in police departments and reviews police 'militarization'

President Barack Obama will meet with controversial black pastor and MSNBC host Al Sharpton on Monday at the White House, and plans to issue a $263 million executive order putting body-worn cameras in more U.S. police departments in response to the August police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Obama has a jam-packed day with three separate meetings to discuss the deteriorating situation. He will also announce Monday that he wants the Pentagon and Congress to review the program that puts surplus military hardware in the hands of state and local law enforcement.

The White House is pushing a new torrent of public messages about the death of Brown, a young black man, at the hands of white officer Darren Wilson.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
LOL What a putz.

Not for the idea of it, of course.

But the belief he holds that he is some kind of King.

"With the wave of my hand......"

He NEEDS TO GO!

Personally, I can't wait. Now we can see how racist the black cops are as well!!!! Both sides with benifit, I guess.

I think it is time for me to get into the camera fixing business..... "I don't know what happened, the camera stopped working the moment my baton was extented.... Or my gun was pulled.....
edit on 12/1/2014 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Meantime, the entire national conversation about Immigration is dead....(crickets chirping.)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: anon72
LOL What a putz.

Not for the idea of it, of course.

But the belief he holds that he is some kind of King.

"With the wave of my hand......"

He NEEDS TO GO!

You do realize that he generally has less executive orders and such than almost any other president in history. It's the right wing propaganda machine that makes it seem like it. And...further more, where's your proof that President Obama thinks that he's some kind of a king? And what does the "with a wave of my hand..." quote from you mean? Why does he need to go?

Serious questions. Take off the blinders. They next pres will be worse than this one....almost guaranteed.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Smoke and mirrors.

Problem/Reaction/Solution.

Who is "really" behind the militarization of the police?

Why does the "Justice System" protect criminal behavior by law enforcement?

Those are the two questions that need addressed! Instead, they will use the most divisive approach to the problem instead of fixing it. Freedom isn't an option!

Meh, call it what you will, but most of us can see this will just be another "racial" issue to further divide the country.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is one of the few instances where I cheer him on.

All police need bodycams.

Bravo Obama, for doing something for the PEOPLE for once.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing
It's quality (or lack of) that counts, not quantity.

a reply to: seeker1963
It's a Hegelian Dialectic.

edit on Dec-01-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Obama can write executive orders till his fingers bleed but their just pieces of paper with his autograph on it till the House decides to fund it. He may have a pen but he doesn't have the purse.

Local law enforcement departments should decide whether their officers wear these cameras or not, not the federal govt!
edit on 1-12-2014 by roaland because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland
Obama can write executive orders till his fingers bleed but their just pieces of paper with his autograph on it till the House decides to fund it. He may have a pen but he doesn't have the purse.

Local law enforcement departments should decide whether their officers where these cameras or not, not the federal govt!

actually no. The people they are sworn to protect and serve should decide if police should wear body cams. not the police departments.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Obama does something genuinely great...

Still gets bashed for it...

As the old saying goes, there is no pleasing some people...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well good for him, this needs to be done. And it needs to be set so they cannot be turned off and on by just pressing a button, and they can't be muted. Or have any way to delete media from it.

Everyone has been calling for this. But it's sad, people who dislike Obama will not acknowledge that they wanted this, and this is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You could take the best thing ever and put Obama's name on it and people would still complain.

Pretty funny really.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

actually no. The people they are sworn to protect and serve should decide if police should wear body cams. not the police departments.

Yes exactly pal...

Imo it should be mandatory....
Including here in the UK.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: roaland

Local law enforcement departments should decide whether their officers where these cameras or not, not the federal govt!

so we're in agreement that the prez shouldn't be the one to make these decisions for the people who live in the different parts of the country then, good

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Obama does something genuinely great...

Still gets bashed for it...

As the old saying goes, there is no pleasing some people...

Having Al Sharpton there in the talks is hardly moving in the right direction........

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The individual States should be doing this stuff. I am sick of the Federal Government under King Obama thinking they have to control it all. If they think a police department has violated some federal law, then, by all means, launch a federal investigation and take it to court if need be.

But, meantime, keep this in the local and State arena.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

But if the police won't do it and keep hiding behind financial reasons then it would seem that it would be the presidents place to step in.
You know to protect American citizens

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This would have been a good thing to adopt the day the tech became viable and available. I see this as a good thing overall as long as it can't be corrupted (hacked), overwritten, erased, turned off etc..Too bad it has to be done through an EO.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Be honest Obama could cure AIDS & Cancer and he'd still be vilified by certain people...

I've given you a multimillion dollar Ming vase...
There is a tiny scratch on the base...

Do you focus on the Sharpton scratch?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: roaland

But if the police won't do it and keep hiding behind financial reasons then it would seem that it would be the presidents place to step in.
You know to protect American citizens

actually local departments are funded by the local population. If the people who live is these areas don't agree to more funding for this stuff, its because maybe they are sick of all the money they gave them in the past that was misspent and misused and don't feel like funding anymore scams. Or maybe they just can't afford it. If the prez signs an EO the people still pay for it and actually it'll cost a lot more with the feds doing it then at the local level anyway so. ya. keep it local.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join