It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many people over 50 were home schooled..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Most of our generation 50+ was HOME SCHOOLED in many ways.

1. My mother taught me

TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside.

I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock
You into the middle of next week!"

4. My father taught me LOGIC.
" Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck,
You're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case
You're in an accident."

7. My father taught me IR ONY.
"Keep crying,

And I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck?"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times.

Don't exaggerate!"

13. My father taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out..."

14. My mother taught me about
BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in
This world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it from your father

When you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes,

They are going to get stuck that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know

When you are cold?"

20. My father taught me HUMOR.
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes,

Don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me

HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
"Shut that door behind you.

Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand.

25. My father taught me about JUSTICE .

"One day you'll have kids,

And I hope they turn out just like you !"

I say over 50 crowd because the younger ones would not believe we truly were told these "EXACT" words by our parents.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I got this in one of those email chain things a few years back and enjoyed reading it very much. I'm not 50 but all of these things were definitely taught on my household and I can say that I am all the better for it.

Thanks for reposting them so more folks can enjoy it.

edit on 12/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Lol, good morning chuckles.

My parents taught me disfunction without including the coping skills to deal with it.

Instead of socializing I read (past tense) books and watched a lot of TV. Thats real home school.

My parents taught me to explore

"Now, go to your room!"

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm not 50 either, but I remember all of these...some of them even came from my grandparents (especially the "give you something to cryy about."

And don't forget: "Don't you look at me in that tone of voice." That taught me abstract thinking.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My mother taught me the value of HINDSIGHT:

"I wish I'd never had you kids"

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Our parents were strict and we knew exactly what line not to cross. We had consequences for poor behavior and they taught us to respect our elders, those in authority and our teachers. When I was only around 6 or 7 years old, my mother would have me open doors for women and elderly people when I went along with her to the store. She also taught me to give up my seat for them in a waiting area or on the bus. Those simple acts of kindness instilled the importance of respect and consideration for people around me.

I didn't dare talk back to a teacher. If my parents found out I would not only get smacked at home, I would have been grounded for 2 weeks. Back then, parents balanced the necessity of giving their kids consequences for poor behavior and giving their kids love and support while they grew up.

Now slap a kid in a store or at home and it's considered child abuse. Children now have more rights than their parents. It's a shame, because it built character and back bone in us. We didn't crumble or whine when someone tried bullying us or called us names. We were also taught the importance of hard work and education. Being lazy and apathetic was for losers.

All of us baby boomers can look back and probably have stories of how our parents disciplined us for doing something wrong. Most people my age look back and laugh about it now, but back than, we knew if we did something our parents told us not to do there would be painful consequences for crossing that line.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm in my mid-thirties, and I heard quite a few of those growing up. I lived in a rural area in the Appalachian mountains, so the old traditions tend to stick a little better around there. My room has always been a tornado, even now (I guess I'm definitely a right brainer?)... and I find myself saying the same thing to my kid "Look at this mess, looks like a tornado went through here"! I even let my long stifled southern accent escape briefly for those conversations, it just seems better that way.

a reply to: WeRpeons
Those are the values I was brought up with, and my husband too. It's interesting to observe the differences in people's values though: His first wife wasn't really brought up that way, and so he had a harder time instilling those values in my step kids. We both have similar ideas of how our kid should be raised and taught, which we are trying to instill in our kid, so I am interested to see how it 'turns out' with her. So far she's pretty well mannered to the point that I worry she doesn't get into enough trouble (adventure) once in a while!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
My father taught me how to kill. I started hunting when I was about five or six.

My mother taught me how consumerism and pyramid schemes worked and how to avoid getting tangled in deception. She made it high up in Stanley home products and Amway and finally moved on to other sales oriented schemes. She was a pro, talking people into buying things they really did not need.

I learned to grow foods and care for animals to put food on the table if needed. Fishing is also something that should be taught to every kid. Schools do not teach us how to provide for ourselves, they teach us to be dependent on others in society. I learned that from attending school, not actually from the teacher.

My granddaughter has it hard, she has to learn what society says is necessary and also all that I have learned from my experience in life. When she was six she changed a tire on a car. She learned to use air tools and garage jacks at that time. This coming year I am going to teach her to shoot and hunt, she has learned stream and lake fishing already and even knows how to make a government pole. She even caught a fish with a setup made of stuff found around a stream and on the shoulder of the road. A piece of wire or can can make a hook.

I consider my homeschooling more important than what I learned in school. I have rarely used the advanced math I learned or the Physics or advanced chemistry in my life. I learned a lot from people I worked with and worked for in my life and also learned from the people working in the places I bought things from. The owner of a plumbing shop may have a lot of knowledge if they once did the work. Same with the owners or workers of other businesses. I learned to plumb, wire homes, and install furnace systems from these professionals, not from schools. I also was taught a lot by building inspectors throughout the years.

Funny how some people think you need school to learn things. All we really need school for is to get us interested in learning.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Haha Brilliant - sound like my parents

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
LOL! I remember those days!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I myself was home-schooled - but there was a war going on at the time. Frightful times, I must say!

new topics

top topics

join