It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade poor man's drum set (way cool!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Not much to say except that I'm shopping around for some new drums (like a sucker!) while this resourceful young man has made a decent sounding trap-set out of scrap and household items. Takes me back to my salad days of pots-and-pans drum soloing with Bonzo in the boom box

The demonstration begins at about 5:15. He's not bad, (could use some more practice time, but not bad at all!) Sometimes I feel like making something like this and living the life of a street performer; but street drummers are a dime a dozen

This looks like a very neat channel that I just accidentally came across. Enjoy!

edit on 30-11-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

That's awesome, I love to see this kind of thing. The lack of money shouldn't keep anyone from being able to express themselves artistically. And this kit actually sounds viable as well. I could hear it with some music.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer
And this kit actually sounds viable as well.

Right? It's impressive--I can't imagine the amount of trial and error trying to recreate a very specific sound like that. I admire this kid's initiative and creativity. My old algebra and world history textbooks made some pretty good practice pads though

edit on 30-11-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Very creative. Thank you for sharing. There used to be a little girl in my city a few years back who would busk with her family on a makeshift 3-piece kit which was basically a cymbal, a tambourine and a huge paint can. Very basic, but that girl could hold a rock steady beat on it.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Pretty cool. I love drums. Very creative he's made a complete set.

Always wanted a drum set. Had to settle for cookie tins. I used to put a few rubber bands across empty shoeboxes for 'guitars'.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I think what gets me even more is how he holds it all together. I used to build things like that, with tape and whatever I could get, and it's really hard to get things to stay in place.

It's funny, the reason I play guitar now is that I couldn't save enough for a drum set 40 years ago...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

When i was 4, I took 5 coffee cans. Two skinny and small, two akinny and tall and one fat. Filled them with objects at different volumes to get different tones. Used unsharpened pencils as drumsticks, hitting at the eraser end. Worked perfectly.

new topics

top topics

join