It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda Alert!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:29 AM
link   
"Of course it's true; it's in the newspaper, isn't it?"

Ever heard of the saying, "Don't believe everything you read."? How about, nothing is real, or the government wouldn't lie about something like that. Heres my favorite, half truths...meaning only half of the topic is true. So what part is false and what isn't? Great question, as I've found the media has one job to do and that is sell, the government has another and that is "protect national interest". So if you had to lie about little kitty being run over by daddy or mommy, to protect your kids feelings, you see what I'm getting at. Just to make things clear I'm not saying our government lies ALL the time, but whos to say when they don't?!

At this current time in World history we as a people have more ways to spread information than we did inthe 40's, and back then Propaganda was at a all time high! Until now, now information can be sent anywhere anytime, see what I'm getting at.

Here's a definition provided by Qualter:
Propaganda is ... the deliberate attempt by some individual or group to form, control, or alter the attitudes of other groups by the use of instruments of communication, with the intention that in any given situation the reaction of those so influenced will be that desired by the propagandist.

heres another:
Propaganda is a sustained effort by a communication entity to manage public opinion.

sustained effort: a campaign, not a single communication
communication entity: not an individual; could be an
� organization (CPI, VOA) or a
� movement (current anti-war movement) or
� society as a whole (sociological propaganda)
manage: not (necessarily) reason with
not interact with (monologue)
includes reinforcement, conversion, etc.
public: mass audience (though it might be narrowly targeted)
opinion: expression of belief or attitude

heres my favorite:
Propaganda consists of the planned use of any form of public or mass-produced communication designed to affect the minds and emotions of a given group for a specific purpose, whether military, economic, or political.

I hope this clears up a few things about media and propaganda, as they are one and the same. Now I know news media was intended to report the truth, but that is exactly what they want people to believe. If for one second anybody thinks those news corperations are not controlled by those who create the hype/spin or what ever its called today please reread this thread.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Now I know news media was intended to report the truth, but that is exactly what they want people to believe. If for one second anybody thinks those news corperations are not controlled by those who create the hype/spin or what ever its called today please reread this thread.

I agree 100%. The corporate "news" networks only exist to further the agenda of those in power. Whoever thinks that they're getting the truth from MSNBC, FOX, CNN, or any of the other news channels they are lying to themselves. Thats why I dont watch TV news anymore. I would say that all of it is BS. And you know what tha sad part is. The the people who report the news know that what they are reporting is BS.

I get my news these days from newspapers and online sources. There is a whole sea of information out there. And you're not going to get the truth unless you hear all sides to the same story. Just look at all the news about 9/11 and the following Wars that was reported all around the world but ignored by the news outlets in the US!! They just want people glued to their TV believing their crap so they dont think for themselves.

People need to wake up to the fact that they are being lied to. But the sad fact is that most people dont like to admit that what they believed to be true is a lie. They would rather go on believing the lie because its easier.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Please read, we go hand in hand(sorry I'm not interested).

Since we share simular stances against the media propaganda machine.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dammit Advisor, and I just phoned Interflora too...

This is the most important subject when it comes to the very core of people's opinions and views. Few actually realise just how much their own opinions are moulded by the information around them, wither it has been taken in voluntarily or not. A large section of people will spout what they have been told, by the media or by friends, and when challenged have only 'because', 'I just do', or 'ummmm' to account for the origin of their stance. (Folks on this site are largely an exception, the fact that your here shows you don't take anyone�s word for granted) Many more just don't care. They're disillusioned with politics and are resigned to the thought that there is nothing they can do. I personally think the apathetic feeling in the west's electorate was a deliberate construction, transforming a large section of the populations opinions and annoyance into silence and creating the illusion that this is more hurtful to the politicians than vocal opposition.

The FCC vote is going to concentrate this, make it easier to portray the required view and further quieten any voices of dissent. The large companies will have the largest papers and channels with the largest audience shares and the biggest marketing funds. Any voices of dissent will find it harder and harder to be heard. They could end up restricted to backwater low circulation papers and underfunded amateur shows stuck on at 3 in the morning (if at all).

Orwell seems more of a visionary every day.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Using the truth and the media in the same sentence is novel or even the British Government and the truth.

new topics

top topics

join