It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any money left in commercial construction in the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So it's no secret I'm a carpenter. Technically I install flooring but I'm good enough with tools and general knowledge with very little information I can probably build anything made out of wood. So the company I work for does a lot of big commercial jobs and we also do residential. The residential jobs pay great for the most part but we have a good reputation and were the known guys in town for hardwood. We do very very specialized work and have our own mills we work with and everything. Still we can't keep crews busy because we live in an economically depressed area. Recently commercial construction projects have been going up everywhere after practically being dead for years. Commercial jobs profit margin to risk ratio if very skewed. In fact it's way off. The jobs are barely worth doing for the co pany owners but it keeps the crews busy while they wait for residential jobs. It's very competitive. You almost have to hire illegals and pay them sub par wages in order to create a profit margin that matches the risk.

It's not just our co pany either. We take on a union guy once in a while as a favor but the guys hasn't worked in months and he's been in for a long time. Says they hardly ever get jobs in the area but it makes sense. The union can't win bids in this market because no one is spending the money the union pays their employees.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

i dont know man the fire alarm and security industrys are booming. one thing interesting of note, analog cctv is being switched over to IP cameras which when i install , i know i am building the future police state one retrofit at a time.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yeah I see those guys on every job.

Construction was big for the middle class.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not in Colorado! Cranes and construction crews EVERYWHERE in Denver. Tons of new structures, and the old ones are being remodeled. It's crazy.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yup, and to off-set their loss the unions are hiring unskilled workers to pay their dues because of the exodus of members from low rates and unfair terms in benefit coverage, ultimately compounding the problem by reducing quality of work.
Seems everybody is out to make a quick buck over sustainable employment.

edit on 30-11-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

well no modern building can go up without a fire alarm system. cctv is also ,highly desired. acsess control and burg security is almost always a must. just he whole IP camera overhaul is going to give the government even more leverage and invasion, the consequences could be unimaginable.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: alishainwonderland

Yeah I'm saving up for a new work van then I'm considering moving to a new state.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yeah I can't get into that because of my criminal record. It's only one thing but it's enough. No big deal my trade is actually a good trade for an area that's not so depressed.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Heavy civil construction going on everywhere here in Texas. The company I was working for currently has the most expensive construction contract in Texas history... Billion$.

edit on 30-11-2014 by Bovah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
i spit on a cop back in 08 and i dont,have much trouble though my experince and family owned buisness all in this industry lean a healthy credibility , and cofindence and knowledge when talking to potential client or emmpolyers.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm in SW FL and I work for a company that specializes in kitchen/bath/outdoor kitchens/closet systems (a cabinet company). Most of the work I see is for remodels, but new construction seems to be picking up. The company I work for is reputable as well. We are extremely busy. We're running between 50-60 jobs at all times. The local economy is doing well, and there have been quite a few new construction projects happening. Statistically, consumer confidence is doing great. I wouldn't worry too much. A few years ago this place was dead, and it has been a gradual growth.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If your already Journeyman experienced
start your own business
you can borrow tools as you go
If not, make it a priority to get your ticket, it looks great on a resume

edit on 30-11-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

top topics

join