It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boxing vs mma.....lets go

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Machida's day is done and that's that. Real shame because he had the magic and it didn't work out for him. He'll keep going like Henderson cos we all need to make money and keep working, right? It's fair too and, like you, I'd frickn love him to get a title shot in 2016.

With Weidman, it's like a sign of how far MMA has come in training. Silva was awesome, but these new guys train, diet and who knows what else 24/7. Weidman made Silva look 2nd Class and Rockhold's looking different class to both. He rolls with Velasquez and Cormier every day. He was sick when he fought Weidman too...had an infection. Not heard a word off Weidman yet...gotta be a rematch!

Conor did good. Still smiling on that

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

first if all how can you not "Mix the two" boxing is largely the striking system they train in for punches. it's a part of MMA. so the two blend very well.

You misunderstand my meaning...

Yes you need to train your boxing skills to fight in the cage.... but like I said, a boxer can't fight in MMA without training the other skills necessary in the cage... and you can't put a trained MMA fighter in a boxing ring and expect him to not get destroyed either... Its like asking a pro baseball player to play in the NBA... Or a hockey player to play in the Masters

as for mayweather. he's good but not unbeatable. kick him in the legs a few times using some Mauy thai, his foot work gets sloppy, clinch, take a few hooks that might not do much without his footwork, pick his light butt up and toss him on the ground.....won't be easy but there are viable strategies to get around a counter offensive boxer.

And he still wins... one kick and you're disqualified... simple

Mayweather is unbeatable in his profession... He's proved it since he started his pro career...

I wish he would have a few more fights honestly... guy retires after matching Marciano's record... He should keep on boxing until he beats the record by a few fights at least

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Floyd would be smashed in the cage, this should answer it all. Mma wins.

I agree except for your closing statement...

Put any UFC fighter in the ring with Floyd... and the out come is obvious...

No one can beat that guy in the ring at his weight

In the beginning of my post I said for the sake of fighting alone. Not arena vs arena. Kinda cherry picked my words there.

In the real world there are no rules, no one is going to just stand and strike with you if they are loosing the exchange and they realize they have other options.

This is where mma comes out on top. More useful in defending oneself in the unlikely event of a physical confrontation.
edit on 13-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

We can dream can't we?

Sigh- yes this is true, a new era is rising and the legendary dinosaurs of old are slowly being Laid to rest. May
their achievements echo into eternity.

With the new talent the UFC and the sport of MMA is sure to flourish into something so great it's beyond our comprehension. I am looking forward to the ride.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

In the beginning of my post I said for the sake of fighting alone. Not arena vs arena. Kinda cherry picked my words there.

actually that was my point on the first page

but Arena vs Arena is not compatible

Just watch any Mayweather fight... in boxing you don't have to kill the guy to win by a landslide

edit on 14-12-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Fair enough akG

It seems we are both correct in our own way.

Long days and pleasant nights to you.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Just watch any Mayweather fight

Never again akragon! Never again!

How dare you wish such a cruel and heinous torture upon another?!

Heartless.

I would rather watch whatever the heck it is my wife finds entertaining these days.
edit on 14-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Just watch any Mayweather fight

Never again akragon! Never again!

How dare you wish such a cruel and heinous torture upon another?!

Heartless.

I would rather watch whatever the heck it is my wife finds entertaining these days.

LOL

Actually I don't blame you there... its almost pointless watching his fights... everyone knows the outcome

Watching him isn't watching a fight, its watching ballet... but that's the whole point

Hes a pure boxer... doesn't need huge power... hes so fast he just beats you with his jab

and you can't hit the guy back... Also keep in mind he's 38 now... he didn't play the puncher in his last few fights

He just wore everyone out with his footwork...

Regardless... He was unbeatable... and I doubt we'll see another fighter like him for a long time

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Holy crap. I just saw the Mac fight. So happy, so stunned.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

We can dream can't we?

Sigh- yes this is true, a new era is rising and the legendary dinosaurs of old are slowly being Laid to rest. May
their achievements echo into eternity.

With the new talent the UFC and the sport of MMA is sure to flourish into something so great it's beyond our comprehension. I am looking forward to the ride.

GSP is the only legend who could come back and be champ.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There's no definite answer to this, every style has its own strengths and weaknesses it depends on who can force the other guy to play his game, who's the more intelligent fighter, who's in better shape and who is the most determined.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Very true. Excellent insight.

I was once pawned by a guy doing capoeira in a friendly match at the park. I learned real quick to not play their game which is to basically ginga all over making you get tired trying to follow them or keep up. Then when you screw up and venture in too far they hip throw you or compression drop. So I learned best strategy against capoeira players is to Not chase them. Eventually they will have to come to you and commit to an actual strike. Thats when you Prey your fast enough to counter and haven't been duped.

But before sparring that guy I thought capoeira was BS. turns out with a good player...it's sneaky and got lots of throws.

The only way I was able to hold my own against that capoeira guy was because I wasn't tricked into playing his game and leveraged the styles weaknesses against it.
edit on 4-1-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Several top UFC fighters have a big capoeira game. I think it depends why you train it, for the movements, or as an actual fighting style.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Damn. The mma world got shook up tonight!

Anybody see it?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I'm kicking myself! The bookies had a Diaz win at 3-1 and a 2nd round submission at 23-1. I mentioned it to a mate that it could be worth a punt and did nothing about it.

I'm DLing the fight right now and haven't seen any of it. Woke up, went to mmafighting.com and saw Holm beat and McGregor being RNCd by Diaz. These past 12 months or so have been unpredictable!

Conor will have to change his patter now. 'Predictions' are over

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Haha! Yeah it was wild! My buddy got the ppv so we watched it all go down.

I have new respect for meisha Tate. She kept saying she capitalized on the perfect moment but no way, she worked hard for that tap, put it all on the line and showed her heart and soul out there.

Crazy stuff. I can't wait for the next card.

Eta: that would have been such a tough bet! I was very unsure of who would win. I probably would have bet Mcgregor by knockout lol
edit on 9-3-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I thought Miesha had a good chance, Diaz I was unsure about but thought Conor would take him. Conor punched himself out, I told my wife Conor needed more kicks because he was going to exhaust himself throwing full power like that, and then boom 30 seconds later he was looking tired.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

first if all how can you not "Mix the two" boxing is largely the striking system they train in for punches. it's a part of MMA. so the two blend very well.

You misunderstand my meaning...

Yes you need to train your boxing skills to fight in the cage.... but like I said, a boxer can't fight in MMA without training the other skills necessary in the cage... and you can't put a trained MMA fighter in a boxing ring and expect him to not get destroyed either... Its like asking a pro baseball player to play in the NBA... Or a hockey player to play in the Masters

as for mayweather. he's good but not unbeatable. kick him in the legs a few times using some Mauy thai, his foot work gets sloppy, clinch, take a few hooks that might not do much without his footwork, pick his light butt up and toss him on the ground.....won't be easy but there are viable strategies to get around a counter offensive boxer.

And he still wins... one kick and you're disqualified... simple

Mayweather is unbeatable in his profession... He's proved it since he started his pro career...

I wish he would have a few more fights honestly... guy retires after matching Marciano's record... He should keep on boxing until he beats the record by a few fights at least

Literally no man is unbeatable.

This was proven when Ali was knocked on his ass by a fat white nobody boxer. Great match, sure Ali still technically won after a long fight, but before that, he hadn't been knocked down.

Floyd hasn't fought every man on planet Earth, not to mention weight classes and what not. I'm sure there are hundreds of totally nameless and huge men who have boxed all their lives that could body Floyd, they just aren't known. I mean, he's 5 foot 8 with a 72 inch reach, what would he do against someone who's 6'2 with a 78 inch reach like Holyfield? He might be unbeatable to professional boxers of his own size but not his entire profession.
edit on 10-3-2016 by Psychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

edit on 10-3-2016 by Psychonautics because: Double post

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

That is why there are weight classes in professional fighting...

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join