It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boxing vs mma.....lets go

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Right, as I mentioned in my reply...

So clearly he isn't unbeatable in his profession, just in his weight class.

Those are two vastly different statements.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

Thats just a silly arguement though...

OF course hes not unbeatable... im sure theres crushers all over the world that could flatten him

We're talking boxing... which matches according to weight...

In that case he has proven to be unbeatable...

mayweather lost 1 or 2 fights in his amature career, but he improved a lot over the years he fought...

unbeaten in his professional career... and remained until he retired last year... i was hopeing he would keep fighting but he wanted to maintain his record... it would have been smarter to at least take the record from Marciano... and the other guy... i forget his name.

The fact remains, no one could touch him... pound for pound one of the best... IF not the best Boxer in the history of the sport... most of his opponents couldn't even hit him, let alone beat him in the numbers

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Thats just a silly arguemen though...

OF course hes not unbeatable... im sure theres crushers all over the world that could flatten him

mayweather lost 1 or 2 fights in his amature career, but he improved a lot over the years he fought...

unbeaten in his professional career... and remained until he retired last year... i was hopeing he would keep fighting but he wanted to maintain his record... it would have been smarter to at least take the record from Marciano... and the other guy... i forget his name.

The fact remains, no one could touch him... pound for pound one of the best... IF not the best Boxer in the history of the sport... most of his opponents couldn't even hit him, let alone beat him in the numbers

Not knocking the money mans skills, though his personality may be lacking.

He's the best boxer in the history of his weight class, that's all you can objectively say.

Anything else would be a silly argument

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Pretty sure thats what i said...

In any case floyd isn't the topic at hand...

I stick to my original sentiments... That being a boxer can't fight MMA... And vice versa

Though there was a point in UFC when it first started that you'd see purests from every dicipline... Sumo, wrestlers, boxers, karate.. You name it and there was a fighter in UFC

That was before MMA... Those days are long gone... And i actually liked UFC more back then

edit on 10-3-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Purists can't compete. A D level wrestler would beat Floyd 10/10 times.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

in a boxing ring?

Really...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Big night tonight! I'm gonna try and convince my buddy to go in with me and get the PPV.

www.mmamania.com...

Last I heard its Cormier vs Anderson Silva now!

www.mmamania.com...

That's gonna be madness!

edit on 9-7-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I've got two accumulator bets on - one sensible and one more of a joke.

#1 - Tate, Lauzon, Dillashaw, Aldo, Cormier, Northcutt, Hendricks, Velasquez
#2 - Assuncao, Edgar, Silva, Gastelum

The first one returns 22 times the stake and the second one 80 times the stake.

I figure Cormier should submit Silva by the end of R2. On the other hand, recent trends show that nobody can defend a title! That second bet is aimed at the outsiders and the trend for stars to lose.

Either way it's a packed out card that I can't wait to watch. Not fussed about the Lesnar return and I expect him to lay down and die if he doesn't get a takedown in R1. He's obviously juiced imo and won't have a gas tank. Did you see him at the weigh-in?? Hunt doesn't ever look fighting fit lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Holly Holm is extremely lucky she has lost enough that my Female Alpha will not need to snap her left leg,which she will do when they meet again,Holly will get her 2nd chance to become a Champion once Rousey simply picks the title back up from where she dropped it....Rousey dropped the ball no one took it from her....she will NOT DROP IT AGAIN.

Now Rousey will simply break arms ASAP AGAIN LIKE SHE SHOULD ALWAYS DO , she will not mess around with trying to re-invent herself when she is already the best of the best.

I have a NewAge Battle System which is proprietary and which would allow Rousey to reinvent herself in ways which support her existing dominating strengths and ADD to what she has instead of adding something she doesnt have.MMA is about .....V-I-C-T-O-R-Y.....nothing else.....and Rousey forgot that for ONE LOUSEY FIGHT.....so what? She is DOMINATING and she is THE BEST FEMALE FIGHTER ON THE PLANET when she allows herself to be a happy Rhonda Rousey.

I see a happy Rousey submitting opponents in new and exciting ways.....I see her leading an evolution in how MMA fighters prepare and execute their gameplans.....I see her changing the entire sport.

Here is a hint for how the NBS or NewAge Battle System works.......why would you NOT wish to have back control and a rear naked choke in progress???? What deterrant is there to this pedicament?

How do you deter the leg-kicks of a well rounded fighter which will under all circumstances win you every fight if you are well rounded and dont get knocked out early by a puncher?....there is a very easy way.

There is an MMA club in Edmonton ,Alberta,Canada where I will be taking this NBS philosophy to soon....if Rhonda wishes to learn I will teach her but she will have to come find the NBS.

This philosophy is based on an isolationist philosophy focused solely on winning in dominating manner not on allowing the opponent to even legitimately compete....this is about a new form of Combat denial and dominance.

No one dominates in MMA without an impactfull style, and you MUST have an impactfull ground game to dominate in MMA.....one takedown and its over,unless you have dominating skills on the ground.Boxes do not have legitimate chances to become MMA champions until they develop an MMA style....and this includes anground game and a kicking game.....either of these focuses will destroy any boxer....ll a boxe has is a basic fighters chance to win one....but no chance to dominate in the sport....I wouldnt even give a boxer a shot until they paid their dues....and if I was an MMA fighter I would try to dislocate their arm immediatly not to be mean but because that is MMA.

edit on 24-7-2016 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Will McGregor get his revenge tonight?

Looking forward to the co-main and the cerrone fight too!

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That was EPIC!!!!!

Best fight I've seen.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

That was a great fight. My stream kept dropping out every few minutes because of the millions watching it. It buffered when Nate scored the last takedown lol. Missed it! Clicking refresh on two MMA sites to see what I was missing.

Those two are warriors and I thought it was closer than Nate's corner were saying at the end of r4. No complaints about the scoring even though I missed the last takedown. Conor's obviously gotten used to his weight now so that gas tank was much better. Yeah, he lost it mid-2nd again and then got the 2nd wind and ploughed on. Nate looked to be losing steam a couple of times too.

Thinking about it, if you were Conor, would you want to lose the weight and drop down to 145 again?? I bet he's thinking hard about that. Maybe that 155 challenge is to make the drop more fun? Either way, he needs to get it on FAST or put down the belt.

Johnson's KO of Texiera was a WTF moment. Didn't expect that! Hope he gets his call for DC. Cowboy result was expected imo even though some of the fight sites were playing him down. Belator time?

I put an accumulator on most of the card and only lost out on Liz Phillips. Don't know why that makes me smile when it's still a f****** loss!!

ETA - post-fight presser cancelled. Pissed off. Hope that's not the new future with the new owners.

edit on 8.21.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Great fight! It was real close but I think Diaz probably deserved the win. They both showed a lot of heart though.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It was a great fight! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I am sorry to hear you had connection issues. That would be so frustrating.

I really wanted Mcgregor to win but I honestly believed in my heart that Nate would get him again easily. I nearly jumped out of my seat when Mcgregor scored those knockdowns and started busting Nate up.

Then when Conor gassed and Nate began to turn the heat up I was sure it was over for Conor! I was anxiously preparing for disappointment.

Then it turned into a classic UFC war. Diaz was so bloodied up my wife said he looked like a zombie lol. Did you see that wide open cut over his eyebrow. Both guys deserve mad respect, they really put on a show and created what will become a legendary battle.

I was glad to see them show a little respect to each other at the end there. That's what its all about and really wraps things up nicely.

Johnson Texiara was insane. I knew that could happen with Rumble but Glover is a pretty dangerous guy himself. What a brutal uppercut. It was crazy he was trying to fight the ref while he was still out.

I always love to see cerrone fight. That was a beautiful four strike combo that ended it. I expected no less from Cowboy, that dude is a beast. I have been reading on MMA sites people want to see Mcgregor Cerrone maybe at 155?

except Donald just moved up to 170 and Conor needs to get back down and defend his title so I don't know what to expect really.

The Cormier Silva UFC was ok, I think it would have been much better if Jones was actually able to fight. Last nights PPV was excellent though!

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I was the same and expected Diaz (full camp) to have the edge over McGregor. Not enough to stop me putting the bet on for Conor, but you know how it goes...heart over head.

They were both great and humble after the fight with fair respect from either camp. Good to see.

Oh man, you're right about the beatings and the blood. There was a short interview with Nate smoking medicinal weed oil through a vape after the fight. He looked beat up. Conor had ten minutes post-fight and looked unmarked. Then he stood up and there was that cut up on his head and he had to walk off on crutches.

Cowboy was talking about leaving UFC last week and now it looks like he'll stay. Good news there. It was looking a bit like the Askren situation and where did that go?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Great fight! It was real close but I think Diaz probably deserved the win. They both showed a lot of heart though.

Judges got it right. Round 2 was close though and could go either way.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Cowboy was talking about leaving UFC last week and now it looks like he'll stay. Good news there. It was looking a bit like the Askren situation and where did that go?

Askren allowed himself to be used as a pawn for Bellator which is why he was not signed. Then years ago Dana was talking about signing Askren and he said he wasn't interested.

I think Askren never wanted in the UFC.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Oh I disagree there! Askren would have loved to be in the UFC and made the fatal mistake of assuming it wasn't open for negotiation. He took the view that his prowess was too good not to be in UFC.

At the same time, he was tweeting digs about Dana and taking snipes in interviews. It was ridiculous because who in their right mind seeks to insult a future employer?? Not a little dig that earns respect, but a series of sh*** comments. It was nuts.

Even his decision to go to One instead of WSOF was a nuts one. Dana sniped that he should go and "gain some experience" or similar words at WSOF. Ben went the opposite way and essentially guaranteed himself a future of fights with people below his ability. Shame really, but jeez if he'd only have checked his ego and skipped the insults?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psychonautics

originally posted by: Akragon

Thats just a silly arguemen though...

Not knocking the money mans skills, though his personality may be lacking.

He's the best boxer in the history of his weight class, that's all you can objectively say.

Anything else would be a silly argument

Actually, quite a few respected boxing journalists (older ones who have seen thousands of fighters over the years) don't even have Mayweather in the top 5 in his weight class. Why? Because he kept ducking the big fights until his opponents were on the way down (in terms of their careers). So definitely not the best but i would argue his defence is right up there with the best of all time - just not his all round game.

Again though, a top class boxer would annihalate a top class MMA fighter. Just look at Teddy Atlas's comments when asked about McGregor against Mayweather.

The MMA lot are tough guys. But nothing compared to the best boxers out there.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Askren made demands he knew would never happen. Makes sense if he doesn't want to be in the UFC.
When Dana said Askren was looking great Askren told Dana to go screw. Makes sense if he doesn't want to be in the UFC.
When Joe Silva was next to Askren on the bus Askren immediately told him he's not interested in the UFC. Makes sense if he doesn't want to be in the UFC.

I think Askren likes getting paid good money to be a big fish in a small pond.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join