It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Bangs Heard across the UK last night

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I also heard these and thought it was fireworks her in Northolt, we often get fireworks for religious festivals etc so it wasn't unusual apart from it sort of sounded like gun fire (we hear gunfire often her because of the intense gang activity) but it was more akin to a major shootout in sound.

So it was a shock when I saw this post.....

New (well actually old) super plane eh, pulse engine technology, sounding more like Star Trek every day..

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Something Fishy
Russia's Northern Fleet is conducting military drills in the English Channel

Sound travels far over water.

Russian media reports that the ships were also conducting drills to "repel air attack".

Mystery solved?

In the busiest shipping lane in he world without a Notice to Mariners or a closure area? Not a chance. Think of all the vessels and mariners that would be reporting this undisclosed firing exercise? The Russians were sheltering in the bay off Le Harve. The Russian are not going to risk a maritime disaster by conducting firing exercises without announcing a closure area.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: wycky
Don't know if this has been posted. Someone has put up a video of the noise.

Apparently the bangs were heard all around the world

Those sound exactly like fireworks to me. I wish they didn't however, as when I saw the thread I was hoping it was one of our black projects.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: HelenConway
a reply to: Foo_Lovers

That is quite worrying - especially as they keep sending their military air crafts into British space - requiring interception [ several times in recent months - that we know of]

Where is the English Channel is it the area around Dorset / West Sussex and Hampshire / Kent ??

Would not explain South Devon that is on the Atlantic or Scotland that borders the North Sea and the North Atlantic ??

Helen they are not in UK airspace. The Russian aircraft are in international airspace. The UK as part of NATO and standing Quick Reaction Alert chose to intercept in the UK Flight Information Regions which are in international airspace.

The Russians would have to be inside the 12 nautical mile limit to be in UK airspace. The reason why the UK/NATO intercept is the same as the Russians do to Western aircraft approaching and inside their Flight Information Regions as they are a threat to civilian aircraft and require to be identified and shadowed. See following for details of the UK FIR.

Supplementary memorandum from the Ministry of Defence

1a. How many times have Russian military aircraft attempted to enter UK territorial airspace in 2007, 2008 and 2009, without authorisation?

ANSWER

— Nil.
No Russian military aircraft have attempted to enter UK territorial airspace, which extends 12 nautical miles from the UK coastline. Russian military aircraft operate in international airspace and have every right to exercise their defence capabilities.
1b. How many times have Russian military aircraft attempted to enter the UK flight information region in 2007, 2008 and 2009, without authorisation?

ANSWER

— Russian military aircraft entered the UK Flight Information Region on 10 separate days in 2007.
— Russian military aircraft entered the UK Flight Information Region on six separate days in 2008.
— Russian military aircraft entered the UK Flight Information Region on two separate days in 2009 (correct as of 1 May).

The UK Flight Information Region, outside of 12 nautical miles from the UK coastline, remains international airspace but to transit the area aircraft are required to file flight plans, communicate with Air Traffic Control and utilise secondary surveillance radar (SSR), a means for providing information on the air traffic control agency and height. Russian military aircraft do not adhere to these accepted Air Traffic Control requirements. This is against International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) regulations for which Russia is a signatory state and poses a potential flight safety risk. We are taking this issue forward with Department for Transport, who through the Civil Aviation Authority and the National Air Traffic Services contract provide Air Traffic Control services.

The UK Flight Information Region (see map below) contains some of the busiest airspace in Europe including the transatlantic air route structure. Within the UK Flight Information Region, Air Traffic Control operations rely largely on SSR to maintain safe distances between aircraft operating in close proximity. Aircraft not transponding SSR can therefore be invisible to Air Traffic Control operators. Risks to flight safety are mitigated by close liaison between UK Air Defence and Air Traffic Control units. Air Defence units use a combination of primary radar and SSR and are able to detect such aircraft within Air Defence radar coverage. The launch of UK Quick Reaction Alert aircraft to intercept unidentified aircraft also mitigates the flight safety risk.

www.publications.parliament.uk...

The Russian Navy are also not going to conduct firing exercises in the world's busiest shipping lane. Notices to Mariners and NOTAMs would be issued with closure areas and height restrictions for such firing exercises. Think of the disaster that would happen if such firing exercises were conducted without the closure areas? Also think of all the vessels and mariners on watch and the subsequent reports of such unannounced exercises, flashes and explosions?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Oddly..or funnily..early on Saturday night probably around 8-10 I also heard loud bangs similar to fireworks going off.
Except I'm in Adelaide Australia. So it would have been some time Friday in the UK and USA I guess.
There were no fireworks displays as far as I know, and I did mention it to a friend as I was sitting out the front of the house talking on the phone and he thought it was odd.

In most suburbs here you will get kids and bogans letting off fireworks, but they are brief because if the police catch you your in some deep ####. What I heard was on and off for almost 2 hours.

Now, Friday I was near the RAAF base in the northern suburbs and there were a few FA18 Hornets going around and some Orions. Don't know if it's connected but I've seen and heard plenty of both aircraft and never heard them sound like fireworks.

What's really odd and got me thinking is that I heard this on Saturday around the same time frame as those in the UK/USA..Obviously my time zone though. But still weird as.
edit on 1-12-2014 by mortex because: (no reason given)

And even weirder now, I only just saw a bright spot flash in the sky, followed by a second bright spot in front of the first, in really quick succession as if it was a moving object. It's an overcast night.
I'm in the CBD, I'd have thought the light pollution would drown out any meteor...but I've never seen a meteor flash twice. All meteors that I've seen have been a bright streak across a section of a clear night sky. There was no sound either.
edit on 1-12-2014 by mortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
everyone is talking about how this could have been a US secret spyplane, but don't the british have the SABRE engine they are working on. It's possible they were giving the new British engine a spin on an actual airframe. From what I understand. the US latest spy bird is a little more refined in the noise making department.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hi I'm new to ATS and joined because of this thread.
I heard the exact same sound as in the Daily mail link between 9pm and 9.45pm on Saturday.
It sounded a lot like fireworks but much louder.
I'm near Coventry in the Uk.
edit on 1-12-2014 by StitchWitch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: HelenConway

i agree.. and also i am wondering about all those booms and loud sounds.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Hiya - if this has already been posted apologies.

Daily Mail - Aurora Article

It has a link to the original sound that many of us thought was similar to what we heard then an audio of the Aurora engine. It is the noise of a pulse detonation engine - apparently [ I am sure you aircraft engineers will understand about that]

edit on 1-12-2014 by HelenConway because: To fix link

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: StitchWitch
Hi I'm new to ATS and joined because of this thread.
I heard the exact same sound as in the Daily mail link between 9pm and 9.45pm on Saturday.
It sounded a lot like fireworks but much louder.
I'm near Coventry in the Uk.

Hi Stitch Witch - welcome to ATS .. Your first post !

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm in the Teesside area and was working (I'm a private hire driver), I was waiting for my customer with the window down (as I often do) and the bangs started, it was between 9.30pm - 10.30pm. When I looked for what I assumed was fireworks there was nothing to be seen, I could clearly see random flashes behind the overcast sky but couldn't see no fireworks. The effect reminded me of last years lightning out in the North Sea that a lot of us in the north east witnessed, I created a thread regarding it as it was quite a good show, this event however wasn't as dramatic but still noticeable.

It's a strange one this, I like it.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Catch_a_Fire

I think Elijah23 on page 2 saw flashes of light too - in Glasgow.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I saw flashes of light the night before the noise. But I assumed it was just 'Lightening' although there was no accompanying 'Thunder' (which usually happens).

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I saw flashes of light the night before the noise. But I assumed it was just 'Lightening' although there was no accompanying 'Thunder' (which usually happens).

Are you In the UK?

I'm in Australia and on Saturday(our time) I heard similar sounds to what's been posted here. No fireworks.displays. Tonight I saw some flashes in the sky..overcast night, in the CBD..

If it wasn't for this thread and the bangs in the UK I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

I'm in bristol, was outside with 4 of my dogs. We heard it and they all freaked out.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elijah23
a reply to: Notgod

You might be right, the farmer who own the land next to me has recently had the ground in two of his fields collapse, they said he must have a mine that runs under the fields that's finally collapsed.

which is possible we are not far from mining areas but it was only a couple of weeks ago now this... so perhaps fracking, and given that we know so little about how the crust beneath us will react to fracking (apart from knowing it will generally react badly...) the actual fracking may be taking place a hundred or more miles away. .. but still doesn't explain the flashes seen in so many places...

Haven't read all the thread yet but just wanted to let you know, depending on which part outside of glesca you are, there were a tonne of different coal mines back in the day - and I'm only talking last 200 years or so! It is very possible (I live in an old gold mining town) that these collapses happen due to changes in the ground water, subsidence and not being filled in properly when it became disused.

I remember a few blocks away from my house a man walked out into his backyard and found it completely sunk, and a few years ago a random sinkhole appeared from a really badly filled in mine.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Pulse detonation engines are notoriously inefficient for an aircraft. They do better for missiles, but contrary to what you read on the internet, they've never been efficient or capable of a high mach number.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Hehheh fellow Bristolian checking in....now living in Somerset, no bangs heard here either.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
You can have lightening without thunder....but you can't have thunder without lightening.......or is it the other way round?.....been a veeeery long day1

Jane

edit on 1-12-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
When i heard about these joint events i did suspect tectonic plate movement.

Well this info has just come in tonight

*Adjustment Of The Mid Atlantic Ridge*

poleshift.ning.com...
edit on 1-12-2014 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join