It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason.com:GamerGate: Part 1 Sex, Lies, and Gender Games

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Your money isn't worth more than mine.
Your voice doesn't count more than mine.
Your input not more valuable, nor your time.

There are many women developers that work on some great games but more than that there's a large number of female gamers and your argument is invalid. If you think we don't gain a voice til a woman creates a game changer perhaps only game changers should speak, I'm guessing that would mean your silence as well.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Someone mentioned "misandry" and I was curious as to how "Gamergate" has elements of "misandry" in it.

To the point, how is this topic hurting men specifically because they are men?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Review the material provided to understand what is being said and why.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Don't feel obligated to respond!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: AgentShillington

Review the material provided to understand what is being said and why.

I did. I found it lacking, hence my request for information.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy
Till woman kind produces another godly programmer, I will not, nor any male gamer I know, accept attempts to redefine what gaming means to us. We are not a hive of insects chemically craving a queen. We are the largest wave of human beings in the history of known existence, and we are _ALL_ cybernetically augmented. In gaming we gain experience and skill. Until a woman can contribute to that in a meaningful way we are not going to just suddenly forget our own self selected purpose and let feminists shame their way into the room. They don't even know where the room is. And further, since they are feminists we can ignore the whole thing because we are certain they will _never_ find the kitchen.

Till then, the room is still open for a real woman to stride onto the scene. If she can see it.

Mike Grouchy

Dear Mike Grouchy,

You don't speak for me. Please stop implying that you do. I don't agree with you.

Signed,

A Male Gamer

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Pitou
Both sides slung #, threats and doxed people. All that over games is pretty pathetic.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
You know how MSM are like big circlejerks, parroting the views of those who cough up the most money to them? Well, gamers recently found out that "gaming journalism" is similar, they are paid by companies who make games in a similar fashion, and of course, those games get good reviews. Also some "game journalists" review games that they should not have, due to personal and sexual relationships with people involved in a games making, if they were ethical that is. Not sure why people were surprised, and took "game journalists" seriously.

Then there is the other side, who think it's all about misogyny. That games should be made more to appeal to everyone's tastes, even though the majority of their money is coming in from their target audience, straight males.

Then of course since it all blew up on twitter and such, trolls are everywhere. It's a giant #fest, and unless you are a serious gamer, or a radical feminist, or love to troll, it would be a giant waste of time to delve into it really. I wasted hours just oogling the #fest, then checked myself, and am ashamed I wasted all that time on the giant trainwreck.

This is a much better assessment of GamerGate than the article in the OP.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Thanks, only reason I even looked into it is because some SJW pricks doxed and threatened my sister and her husband over some opinions. They weren't being rude or insulting, I saw the twitter thread, or whatever they call them on twitter. I honestly can't believe people are fighting like that over such crap. With all the horrible stuff that is going on in this world, and that is what people are waging cyber-war over? Makes me weep for humanity lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Gamers are known for their unearned sense of entitlement when it comes to game development. I think it is largely due to the large portion of adolescent gamers in the population. If you ever went and read a video game forum like GameFAQs, you'd see what I am talking about. Ever since I decoupled myself from the video game community at large, I've been a much happier gamer.

I don't preorder games anymore. I generally buy used. And even when I buy new, it's after the game has been out a few months. This works because I play a lot of single player games (mainly JRPGs and platformers). Though I do enjoy playing fighting games, but I haven't been involved with that community for a while.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
I used to buy all my games from EB used when I was into console, saved so much money that way. Now I just pirate games for the PC, it's been a long ass time that I actually kept a game for longer than a few hours. Either my tastes changed a lot, or games these days just suck. Last game I actually played for a while was skyrim, got it for christmas for the old 360, it was fun for a bit. People were ranting and raving about shadow of morder, that one lasted a whopping 2 hours before I deleted it. Sooooooooo boring. PC games these days, seems like it pays to wait a few months after release before even bothering, I don't know how they release games with so many bugs and keep getting paid for it over and over.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

That's why I like the genres I do. They require intelligence to play instead of just button mashing your way through it for 5 hours. Platformers: Jump around trying to navigate treacherous ledges (figure out where the next place to jump is), solve puzzles to advance to the next area, and sometimes pan the camera to look at the dizzying heights you are ascending. Some of my fav series in this genre: Prince of Persia trilogy, God of War trilogy, Uncharted series, Castlevania: LoS (has bosses that you have to platform across!), and the Assassin's Creed Ezio trilogy (ef the newer ones, they suck). JRPGs: I just like overleveling my characters to extreme lengths so I can beat the snot out of everything, requires a lot of grinding, but inventory management and figuring out the various combat systems requires knowing what you are doing. Noteables: Disgaea series, SMT: Persona series, Tales of series.
edit on 2-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Just to keep beating the drum.
It's sad sexism has been dragged in as a smoke screen to combat a legitimate complaint about corruption.

Note: Both are women. Cue the accusations of sock puppetry and etc.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
In the interests of driving that point home, #NotYourShield:

And to the lady earlier, here's a example of discrimination.
The fact that accusations of sexism has proven such a viable smoke screen alone proves the point.

edit on 4-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

I'm a feminist, I don't see the point in trying to rename my philosophy because some people like to use the term to abuse women. It makes me more determined to stand up for what I believe. I was bought up by strong single father to be a strong women, and all of my kids will recognise themselves as feminists in the true sense of the word.

So how about being a strong woman without labeling yourself as a radical, whiny, man-hating woman? That is what you are calling yourself when you call yourself a feminist by today's standards. People change their label when the core ideals of a group corrupt. Move on (unless of course you are a modern feminist), or carry that mark.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
For any who's interested:

In my previous article, I tried to make sense of the "GamerGate" drama, which its detractors have described as a sexist male backlash against women in the videogame culture and which its supporters see as a pushback against cronyism and political correctness in the gaming media. The saga continues, with front-page coverage for threats against feminist gaming critics—notably feminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian, who canceled a lecture on a Utah campus due to an email threat of a massacre—and with female GamerGaters taking to the online airwaves to give their side. Amidst the charges and countercharges of harassment, thought policing, and unethical conduct, the GamerGate debate always comes back to gender issues. There are valid concerns, shared by at least some GamerGate supporters, about sex-based harassment in gaming groups and stereotypical portrayal of female characters in videogames. Unfortunately, critics of sexism in videogame culture tend to embrace a toxic brand of feminism that promotes antagonism, grievance, and intolerance of dissent, not equality or empowerment.

When gamers complain about too much feminist criticism of sexism and misogyny in videogames, it’s easy to jump to the conclusion that they themselves harbor misogynist attitudes. But another explanation is that much of this criticism relies on manufactured outrage and cherry-picked, distorted, or out-of-context information.

Complete article at Source
And between me, you, and the watercooler it is because of that last part for me.

Which brings me to a another aspect of it.
Anita Sarkeesian. Ms All-games-are-sexist herself.
I have found a 3 part video series that thoroughly investigates her claims as well as other aspects.
For those interested, The Case Against Anita:
Be warned. Each video is over an hour long as it is comprehensive.

edit on 6-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
A gamer's view of #gamergate:

And here's the original post that started it all:
thezoepost.wordpress.com...
edit on 8-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join