It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Alternative Medicine is Bunk

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i have no doubt that proper diet, a natural 'remedies' can help SOME ailments.
other than that though, i just dont believe in it.

i have always been a fan of modern medicine...
sure there are side effects to meds but to be fair, natural substances have side effects too.

while honey may make a sore throat feel better, vitamin c or broccoli or whatever is not going to cure cancer.

i think people that feel that is will are blinded by what they want to believe

people live longer than ever before. more diseases/ailments can be cured/treated than ever before and that is because of modern meds.

i think if vitamin c really did cure cancer(im just using this as an example. it might bot even be a claim but you catch my drift) than far more people would be going that route vs chemo, rads, meds, etc...
no reason not to....except that it does not work

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Lots of intellectuals have been wrong about a great many things. This is one of those things.
Carry on...

PS : Don't bother with any replies I won't be back to see them and I will unsubscribe to this thread as soon as I'm done here. Closed minds are unable to comprehend these things and I simply don't have time for such nonsense.
edit on 11302014 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think some alternative treatments can be explained by good old fashioned scientific scrutiny if someone just ponied up the research money to examine why XYZ works as well as it does. Others I believe to be purely Placebo Effect. The highly diluted homeopathic "medicines" being one, and I'm a former user of them who realized it wasn't actually doing anything. I can't tell you how much money I threw away on homeopathic stuff like cough syrup only to realize I was paying a small fortune for diluted honey water. Once I realized this, it quit "working". So did the homeopathic headache tabs which are mere sugar pills, the homeopathic eye drops, etc. Placebo Effect is pretty expensive in homeopathy.
edit on 11/30/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
while honey may make a sore throat feel better, vitamin c or broccoli or whatever is not going to cure cancer.

i think people that feel that is will are blinded by what they want to believe

Quite true. I lost a friend earlier this year to cancer. It progressed to the Point of No Return because she refused mainstream medicine for too long and was convinced she could cure herself through diet. By the time she admitted the natural route was the wrong route, she was terminal. She left 3 devastated kids & a husband behind. I really wish she'd listened to those of us who voiced our objections to not taking her cancer more seriously...

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

A friend of mine manages diabetes without any insulin, using iirc simply cinnamon, cayenne and vinegar. His doctor was amazed.

It's easy to put something down when you know jack

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
My mother in law is big time into herbs and nurtients for medical treatment.
She had knee pain for two years and was going to an herbalist for that whole time at about a hundred bucks a week. Of course she needed knee replacements and basicly flushed all that money down the toilet.
She had some nasty sinus issues about a year ago any went back to the same lady for help. Six months of treatment later she finally went to a doctor for antibiotics and what do you know, gone in two weeks.

This lady was so great at the herb game that she offered to sell the business to my mother in law. With six months of training. Bull$&@t artist come to mind.

I'm sure that iridology work to, it's just as effective as faith healing...lol

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

It's easy to put something down when you know jack

first, i have my doubts that your friends diabetes is managed with only what you mentioned, but if you say so.
its also easy to put something down when you see it time and again not work.

look at the example from nyiah....

for every story you have about someone managing their ailment, others have stories about how it does not work.

i just dont believe it...if you do, great. good luck with that

ill stick to my scripts

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Obviously diet is important too and every few months he goes down to 600 calories a day, but the process is widely documented on the web, i've seen posters here discuss the same regime on a number of occasions.

When he discussed the process with me prior to starting, i was cynical, which is my default setting really.

I was similarly surprised to see homeopathy and anthroposophical medicine seem to be having result with clients who i provided therapies and other support for.

Seriously, i regard myself as a sceptic and cant explain the science behind it, just that i saw positive results that i really did not expect to see.
edit on 30-11-2014 by skalla because: typo

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Negatory on the "we already know that " bit in the op.....
I know better.....knocked a bad malanoma off my ear with 4 days of off and on baking soda.....it killed it.....and funny....my system seemed to spread it out to nearby areas, as it dissipated slowly over two months and moved further out on the surface of my skin.
At the 3 month mark....all gone......baking soda is tame.....

edit on 30-11-2014 by GBP/JPY because: yessirr

edit on 30-11-2014 by GBP/JPY because: His mum called him yashio

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have an ulcer,that used to at times cause me a lot of pain and discomfort.I used 3/4 different pharmaceuticals-which either did'nt work all that well,or initially worked then stopped working after a while.I decided to try an old folk medication,from a range wellknown and used in my country for propably hundreds of years.Turlington tincture,I mixed the bottle(it comes in a small bottle) with a can of condensed milk.

Now I bitterly seldom have any pain or trouble with my ulcer.On the once in a blue moon when it gives me pain or discomfort,I just take a tablespoon of Turlington again,and I'm fine for a long time after.Best is to initially use it daily,3 times a day,for a month,there after once a day.Dose is a tablespoon at a time.I don't even need to take one spoon a day anymore,I only take when very occasionally my ulcer acts up,and then one tablespoon is enough to settle the ulcer for a long period of time again.

You keep the condensed milk+Turlington mixture in a cupboard,not in the fridge,btw.The Turlington stops it spoiling.Best to check you're not allergic to any of the ingedients first,as with anything else.This is one of a big range of tinctures for various ailments many people in my country trust and swear by-and some are used for purposes other than intended-but still works.

The Turlington tincture is actually for chronic bronchitis,and also as a styptic for cuts-but it works very effectively on ulcers,as I being a longtime stomach-ulcer sufferer can personally vouch for this treatment.Cheap too,even in my country-especially when considered against the high price of "proper" ulcer meds-which I can vouch for to Not always work,or stops working after a while.a reply to: Astyanax

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My intentionally provocative OP has garnered some surprisingly mild responses. Pardon me, please, for replying only to those posts which directly address the thread topic.

A reply to: LDragonFire

Alternative medicine is real and works but if a corporation can patent then market a product, they want all the profit available for the so called open market.

Indeed, this is one of the selective pressures on alternative therapies; adoption into the mainstream.

A reply to: learnatic

Well done for actually reading the link. So few ever do.

(If) alternative treatments are absorbed by big pharma, they will still be very expensive and so will still leave a market for alternative practitioners.

But the treatments will then be mainstream, won't they, and the alternative practitioners will either cease to be alternative or go out of business (because there are laws against practicing medicine without a licence).

(There is no evidence that), as current alternative treatments get absorbed into big pharma medicine, alternative practitioners will recommend less safe treatments.

Rundqvist agrees with you. He believes that alternative therapies are selected for ineffectuality, not harmfulness.

However, the real-world persistence of potentially harmful alternative 'therapies' like hydrogen-peroxide injection, heavy metal ingestion, chelation and laetrile administration shows that Rundqvist is being a little optimistic. Then again, natural selection is a slow process.

The article concluded by saying the 'we know alternative treatments are bunk anyway".

The article didn't say that; I did.

Is the reason cancer research never includes research into nutrition as either a cause or a treatment of cancer?

It isn't true to say that cancer research isn't focused on nutrition; some of it is. We are well aware of the carcinogenic potential of, for example, red meat and processed meats. We are also aware that some foods, such as broccoli and green tea, contain antioxidants that may help protect against cancer; that fibrous foods seem to help prevent, specifically, colon cancer; and so on. All this is the fruit of mainstream cancer research. But eating foods can't cure you of cancer if you've already got it, whatever the 'alternative' claims to the contrary. If only it was that easy!

If it was, cures for cancer would have been found centuries ago, long before the advent of modern medicine.

A reply to: skalla

I've seen result from what is still termed alternative medicine in others, specifically homeopathic remedies in Autistic teenagers. And I wasn't expecting that.

Evolution, as I said to Learnatic, is a slow process. Still, it would take much less time to adopt an effective alternative remedy into the mainstream than it would take to make me, personally, give any credence to homeopathy.

I'm aware that first-hand experience (or what appears as such) is very convincing, so I sympathize with your position even though I differ from it.

a reply to Shiloh7

Surely allopathic medicine has also gone through a stage of trial and error also.

Indeed it has. But the selection pressures on real medicine are different. Things that work are selected for; things that don't work, or which do active harm, are selected against. Your own post provides many examples of this.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I don't think all alternative treatments are worthless. I know from personal experience that duct tape on a wart for a month gets rid of a wart. I Believe it forces your body to deal with it.
My wife takes a shot of apple cider vinegar for acid reflux, works every time. That is a simple chemical reaction.
But on the other hand wearing a copper bracelet doesn't do anything but make a fashion statement.
You have to sort out what is reasonable and what is bunk.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

But on the other hand wearing a copper bracelet doesn't do anything but make a fashion statement.

WRONGGG!

lol, it makes your wrist all green and manky looking too

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Good point, I missed that part...

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Doctors, along with Pharma, are one the top of the list of leading causes of death in the world, and more so in the U.S.

"Traditional" medicine is not working. For surgery and acute emergency conditions, maybe. But hospitals are death traps and Doctors are becoming death dealers...accidentally and willfully. Americas dependence of drugs is at an all time high and will get worse very soon.

We're about to see an explosion of illness and a generation almost unable to live off of meds. 50 years from now we will see the full effect and it will be disaster.

More coming....Million of new ones with healthcare and ZERO attention paid to diet and exercise, or allergens, or accurate blood panels, or lipid panels, etc. The U.S. is in for it. God help us.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
My intentionally provocative OP has garnered some surprisingly mild responses.

If your just looking to provoke, why not go write a thread on the existence of chemtrails? It would have more merit than your premise here..

Or if you re really lookin for a fix, maybe just rehash that doozie you wrote a while back on how "all conspiracy theories are false."

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: Astyanax
Generally speaking medicine comes from plants...

Apart from vaccines, oral contraception , insulin , epinephrine , corticsteroids, dopamine , thorazine , botox , etc.

cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/polio.html
edit on 30-11-2014 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
wrong vid
edit on 12/1/2014 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I agree with the OP. Logically, if a source of treatment works then it becomes mainstream and no longer “alternative”.

Many alternative medicines are pseudoscience and rely on the gullibility or desperation of the sick and needy, and where such alternative cures have not been subject to scientific scrutiny and evidence-based research.

At the end of all medicine – whether alternative, or mainstream – there is someone making money. People who complain about big-pharma neglect to account for the money made by those people who tout alternative cures - often secure in the knowledge that they are fraudulent.

Regards

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
My suspicion with alternative remedies is that those pushing them behave like snake oil sales men. They prey on the desperate and weak who Are in many cases in a position of hopelessness, offering some kind of miracle cure to provide some last desperate hope. Surely that's ethically and morally wrong?
edit on 1-12-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join