It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Visit The World of the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
A completely mind-warping psychedelic vision of a dystopian future. It was made in the early 70's by Doug Smith who later became Reverend Ivan Stang of the Church of the Subgenius.
It is hilarious and nightmarish at the same time.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

This is reality.

In all it's color and beauty.

Good times.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I have a fondness for Ivan, the Church, and associated folks... but it is apparent that even prophetic, intellectual acid heads need an editor at times!

But thank you for posting this... I've never seen it... and now it cannot be unseen.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Bump to find later.
Old films are awesome...

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma
I met Stang and his lovely wife, Wei at the first Tex-Day Devival. To say it was fun would be a huge understatement.
They are wonderful folks.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I usually dislike the whole "I brushed shoulders with celebrity" meme, but Doug and cohorts aren't really "celebrity"... except for a few eclectic weirdos... so cool... lucky you!

In the same vein, and not to one-up you, really, I once got to spend an afternoon with R. A. Wilson, Tim Leary, the other Subgenius guy whose name escapes my poor brain (it coulda even been Doug, but I doubt it) and Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO... heh, and my little teen-aged mind blew up... so much that I just quietly listened while playing with Leary's golden retriever... heh.... all my heroes in one L.A. backyard! (The Top Gun producer showed up, too... and almost spoiled it... but at least he showed me that the Hollywood airhead meme was real)

But, brushes aside, I'm glad all those folks existed and I got to add their weirdness to my own... it makes personal weirdness a little less lonely.

BTW... was that the first "killer clown" meme? I wonder...
edit on 11/30/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/30/2014 by Baddogma because: Sunday morning difficulties with language ... that don't really limit themselves to Sunday

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Thanks ever so much!!!

Praise Bob

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

I usually dislike the whole "I brushed shoulders with celebrity" meme, but Doug and cohorts aren't really "celebrity"... except for a few eclectic weirdos... so cool... lucky you!

In the same vein, and not to one-up you, really, I once got to spend an afternoon with R. A. Wilson, Tim Leary, the other Subgenius guy whose name escapes my poor brain (it coulda even been Doug, but I doubt it) and Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO... heh, and my little teen-aged mind blew up... so much that I just quietly listened while playing with Leary's golden retriever... heh.... all my heroes in one L.A. backyard! (The Top Gun producer showed up, too... and almost spoiled it... but at least he showed me that the Hollywood airhead meme was real)

But, brushes aside, I'm glad all those folks existed and I got to add their weirdness to my own... it makes personal weirdness a little less lonely.

BTW... was that the first "killer clown" meme? I wonder...

I wasn't trying to come off as a name-dropper.
I was actually invited to the event to play with my band, 'The Great Groovy Neptune.'
Here is an 'Hour of Slack' that played some of our stuff.
hourofslack.libsyn.com...
I gave Stang a Yeti sculpture I made as a token of appreciation.

It was three days of pure Slack. I hung out with Doc Frop and Sister Decadence (she plays a mean theremin with her giant boobs) aboard an escape vessel, too.
I am an ordained minister. It seems the Church has been laying low for a while. I think the world is ready for another Slack campaign. The Con is getting a little too big for its britches these days.
Praise Bob! Kill Bob!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Naw, you didn't come across as a "name dropper"... though I might've... anyway, awesome cool and again, thanks for the film... great pic! Fun times.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

top topics

join