It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lame foods I invented.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Frau Dr. bought some old tupperware at a garage sale. It has a set of six little cups with lids and sticks that go down into the cups. They are for making cool-aid popsicles for children.

What I do is to make coffee really strong ( or mix it w/ expresso!) fold in lots of cream and sugar, and freeze it into pops. Frau Dr. doesn't drink coffee and thinks its "ultra-barfy," but I love 'em. She about puked when she walked into the kitchen to find kiddoes had gotten into my stash of coffee-pops!

Here's another one. During my travels in the Middle East, I got addicted to "Hummus," which is ground chick-peas mixed with olive oil and a bunch of wholesome goodness. I love the stuff, and like it best on a grilled cheeseburger, with salsa. That's another horrid idea of mine.

Incedentally, The school was freaked out and "had a talk" with mom about some bizzarro substance someone had put in our kids lunches. Turns out Mom let them pack their own lunches, and they put hummus on their sandwiches! The whitebread teachers wouldn't believe the stuff was actually edible. Narrow minded bigots.

For other sandwich ideas, see my BTS rant, www.belowtopsecret.com...
entitled "Capitalism, with a human face."

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Mmm.....Hummus on sandwiches is delicacy few have figured out...The more garlicy the better

Those expresso pops sound especially good right about now.....

Another really good sandwich that sounds wacky: Get some pumpernickel and white swirled bread, a slice of pinneapple, some ham and cream cheese.....Mmmm!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Incedentally, The school was freaked out and "had a talk" with mom about some bizzarro substance someone had put in our kids lunches. Turns out Mom let them pack their own lunches, and they put hummus on their sandwiches! The whitebread teachers wouldn't believe the stuff was actually edible. Narrow minded bigots.

That felt good to read. Hope it felt good to write. Can't believe they had a talk with the frau about food choices, but then again I can.

I could eat hummus, tabouli, cucumber, pita, sprouts, cheese and wine for hours. Come to think of it I used to do just that on tapas night in front of the TV.

My tastes were less diverse in youth but more disturbing. Peanut butter, mustard and dill pickle slices makes an excellent condiment sandwich. As does peanut butter and maple syrup. I adore condiments. Food is a condiment delivery vehicle only. Spicy sweet is my favorite, so I'm fond of Thai and jerk. And Enron picked a good bread with the pumpernickel.

I could go for a pineapple dressed jerk chicken about now. It's all about the sauce though. Not a huge fan of gnawing on huge mouthfuls of meat. I will "ruin" a pricey steak with flavor given the opportunity. Some say I'll ruin anything. God knows I try.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Food is a condiment delivery vehicle only. Spicy sweet is my favorite, so I'm fond of Thai and jerk.

I like Thai as well. As for jerk

This is one experimentaion I don't get, my son likes PB and cheese sandwiches.

Here's a pizza that I have stuggled with to get right- pepperoni, salami, Italian sausage, hot pepper, black olive, pineapple and onion. Trust me.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
This is one experimentaion I don't get, my son likes PB and cheese sandwiches.

Here's a pizza that I have stuggled with to get right- pepperoni, salami, Italian sausage, hot pepper, black olive, pineapple and onion. Trust me.

Peanutbutter and strong cheese just rocks.

The pizza sounds good too.

I do like places like the Pizza Factory though where you make your own. Feta is a good topping with olives and such. Greek Salad pizza? Mmmm.

[edit on 12-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hummus is just delicious.

It's good plain with pita, and absolutely necessary with falafel. *drool*

Now I'm hungry.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Do you guys not have hummus in the US or something?
That would be a shame.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Frau Dr. bought some old tupperware at a garage sale. It has a set of six little cups with lids and sticks that go down into the cups. They are for making cool-aid popsicles for children.

What I do is to make coffee really strong ( or mix it w/ expresso!) fold in lots of cream and sugar, and freeze it into pops. Frau Dr. doesn't drink coffee and thinks its "ultra-barfy," but I love 'em. She about puked when she walked into the kitchen to find kiddoes had gotten into my stash of coffee-pops!

Here's another one. During my travels in the Middle East, I got addicted to "Hummus," which is ground chick-peas mixed with olive oil and a bunch of wholesome goodness. I love the stuff, and like it best on a grilled cheeseburger, with salsa. That's another horrid idea of mine.

For other sandwich ideas, see my BTS rant, www.belowtopsecret.com...
entitled "Capitalism, with a human face."

Humous is nice but guacamole is better!!
Anyone here that likes garlic and coriander naan bread with garlic and hearb dip?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Mmm.....Hummus on sandwiches is delicacy few have figured out...The more garlicy the better

That's almost my favorite sandwich ever. Salami & half a tub of hummus in a melted cheese topped crusty roll. Mmmm.

Marmite & Cheese toased sandwiches are also pretty tasty

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I hate to break it to you, Dr. Strangefood, but if you think YOUR food is lame...

Welcome to the sick world of Norwegian "lutefisk":

Lutefisk is made from air-dried or salted/dried whitefish (normally cod, but ling is also used), prepared with lye, in a sequence of particular treatments. The watering steps of these treatments differs slightly for salted/dried whitefish because of its high salt content. The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish will swell during this soaking, attaining an even larger size than in its original (undried) state, while its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing its famous jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 11–12, and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

Lutefisk (on the upper left side of the plate) as served in a Norwegian restaurant, with potatoes, mashed peas, and bacon.

new topics

top topics

join