It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US travel advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am travelling to the United States from 9th to 24th December and seeing both Washington and Vegas but there are some things I am totally unaware of the main one is tipping which does not exist in my country.So if someone can give me a guide that would be much appreciated.

1.Do I tip taxi drivers if so how much.
2.Do I tip hotel porters if so how much
3.At restaurants what do I tip
4.at a bar do I tip at each drink or just leave money when im finished

......some rough guidelines would be appreciated

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

15 percent anywhere you go is about right for most situations.

At the bar leave the money when you're finished. Don't tip on each drink unless the bartender is hot.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks,it looks like I might carry a roll of smaller bills for things like porters etc,15 per cent is not too bad.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I grew up in Vegas.

Your best bet would be to hit up local bars and coffeeshops and see what is actually there to do. Don't get me wrong, the LV Strip is cool for tourists, but the real fun in Vegas isn't on the Strip.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If you win a jackpot ($1200 or more) playing slots in Vegas don't forget to tip the attendant that generates the forms for you to sign and pays you out.

Have a good trip.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

1.Do I tip taxi drivers if so how much.

15-20% if they have done a good job and are accommodating.

2.Do I tip hotel porters if so how much

$2-3 per bag.

3.At restaurants what do I tip

15-20% for good service.

4.at a bar do I tip at each drink or just leave money when im finished

$1-2 per drink and as pointed out earlier, wait until the end unless they do not allow you to run a tab.

......some rough guidelines would be appreciated

You should also leave $5-10 per night for housekeeping depending on the level of hotel you are staying at.

If you have a doorman hail you a cab it is also customary to slip him a few dollars.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Restaurants 20% if they do a good job. Bars, if you're drinking more than a few then might as well open a tab, then tip when you close it out.
Hotel porters, which are usually called bellhops or doormen in the US, are generally optional - I usually prefer to carry my own so that I don't have to tip.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Tipping the TSA agent after a probing is optional depending on your level of enjoyment, or theirs.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah
Tipping the TSA agent after a probing is optional depending on your level of enjoyment, or theirs.

LOL.....that is very funny but so true that one should think about what is behind them.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'm a long time bartender and bar owner. If you are paying with cash tip after each drink not at the end, or you might wind up having a bad night. $1 per drink cash is normal. If you start a tab then tip at the end, 20% is standard.

If I'm at a new bar and going to stay awhile, I will tip the bartender or cocktail waitress a $5-$10 on my first drink. This should get their attention and you should get excellent service and advice. Then I tip a dollar or two per drink after.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: RammerJammer

I agree, if it is a bar you are going to frequent for a few days, tip heavy to start and your service will be great.

new topics

top topics

join