It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge drops murder charges against Mubarak, acquits him on illicit gains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
english.ahram.org.eg...

A Cairo criminal court dropped charges Saturday against former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak for responsibility in the killing of protesters in the January 2011 uprising.

The judge said he would drop the murder case against Mubarak because the prosecution's earlier decision on 23 March 2011 to charge the 86-year-old lacked the legal basis to bring a criminal case against the ousted president.

The judge also ruled that the statute of limitations had expired on the charges against Mubarak, his two sons and businessman Hussein Salem on charges of profiteering from illegal gifts of villas.

Huh... really? No charges at all? That should sit well with the Egyptian people.

I didn't see this coming.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I'm sure many will join you on that wavelegth pal...

This is a surprise.

As you said, I don't see this having good repercussions around Egypt.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
english.ahram.org.eg...

A Cairo criminal court dropped charges Saturday against former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak for responsibility in the killing of protesters in the January 2011 uprising.

The judge said he would drop the murder case against Mubarak because the prosecution's earlier decision on 23 March 2011 to charge the 86-year-old lacked the legal basis to bring a criminal case against the ousted president.

The judge also ruled that the statute of limitations had expired on the charges against Mubarak, his two sons and businessman Hussein Salem on charges of profiteering from illegal gifts of villas.

Huh... really? No charges at all? That should sit well with the Egyptian people.

This is what they think is going to happen on a political level.

Political analyst Mohamed El-Agaty of the Arab Forum for Alternatives think-tank told Ahram Online that he expects that the political backlash to the verdict to be small and to pass quickly.

So, maybe that will be a reflection of the Egyptian people as well?

Afterall, the judge said it lacked legal basis, the statue of limitations had run out on the charges, before the prosecution could provide evidence that they had collated to prove Mubarek profited from his time in power.

The thing is, all of his dealings around property, probably included the agreement that whoever was President, would also benefit from the refinements.

Where does the current President have residences? Mubarek's Presedential homes no doubt.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

The Egyptian people have a recent track record of successful protests and I don't think they will be taking this acquittal verdict sitting down.

It's already begun.

Hundreds gather at Tahrir entrance to protest Mubarak verdict

Several hundred protesters gathered at a road leading into Tahrir Square in Cairo to demonstrate against Saturday's court verdict that dropped charges against former president Hosni Mubarak of killing protesters during the 2011 revolution.

A group of around 1000 people gathered in front of the army vehicles and barbed wire that is blocking off the entrance to the iconic square, while a smaller group of around 50 people gathered a few metres away at the Egyptian Museum, according to an Ahram reporter at the scene.

Army and police forces had blocked off the square after the verdict and prevented attempts by the protesters to enter.

Not long ago Egypt made up a new law against protesting.

New Law in Egypt Effectively Bans Street Protests

Millions upon millions of protesters removed the Muslim Brotherhood from power. I guess those that want to be in power in Egypt never want to see that happen again.

Keeps eyes on Egypt because things may become more interesting in the future.

edit on 29-11-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Egypt is a cluster f.k

Firstly unlicensed protests draw stiff prison terms, and four years after the Arab Spring revolt that killed those young protesters, the Egyptians went from Dictator to Islamic hardliner to Military coup dictator.

He got off on a 'technicality' . Yeah

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The only Egyptians that wont will be taking this acquittal verdict sitting down is the Muslim Brotherhood. The Arab Spring was manufactured from the start to finish it seems they just wasted a box full of billions into starting those protests in order just to create chaos and to make a news headline out of thin air.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
not a surprise...hope you're not surprised if Mursi is executed for his role.

arab spring was an attempt to fake the Apocalypse. nothing real about it at all.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Last time the people got all worked up they got themselves the tyrannical Muslim Brotherhood. Don't see them giving a damn this time around.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Last time they got worked up they outed the Muslim Brotherhood, just like Mubarak.

The Egyptian have a successful recent history of rising up, hence the protest laws.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Last time they got worked up they outed the Muslim Brotherhood, just like Mubarak.

The Egyptian have a successful recent history of rising up, hence the protest laws.

It was al sisi that survived it all and ruled the whole time, people are deceived. The MB could not touch him when they were the figure heads, think about that. If they could have removed him they would still be there. The people didn't do anything, it was Al Sisi that did the removing both times and who is the national hero. Very well played.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The people didn't do anything? I completely disagree with you. Millions upon millions of Egyptians protested the removal of the Muslim Brotherhood. They protested the removal of Mubarak, it worked. Not long after the MB took power the people again took the streets and continued to protest until the MB was removed. Had the people not protested I seriously doubt the Egyptian military, who was backed by the gov't, would have forcibly removed the MB.

ANTI-MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD PROTESTS IN EGYPT: LARGEST POLITICAL EVENT IN WORLD HISTORY

The demonstrations that began Sunday in Cairo, Egypt against the Muslim Brotherhood government of President Mohamed Morsi have attracted "millions" of supporters and many counter-demonstrators as well, making the protest the largest political event in the history of the world, according to the BBC.

new topics

top topics

join