It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope prays in Istanbul mosque in new outreach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Pope prays in Istanbul mosque in new outreach

His head bowed and hands clasped in front of him, Pope Francis stood Saturday for two minutes of silent prayer facing east inside one of Istanbul's most important mosques, as he shifted gears toward more religious affairs on the second leg of his three-day visit to mainly Muslim Turkey.

Following in the footsteps of Pope Benedict XVI who visited Turkey in 2006, Francis prayed alongside the Grand Mufti of Istanbul, Rahmi Yaran, who had his palms turned toward the sky in a Muslim prayer, inside the 17th-century Sultan Ahmet mosque.

"May God accept it," Yaran told the pope at the conclusion of a poignant moment of Christian-Muslim understanding.

This is how religions should act they should be able to accept that others have their way of reaching God. All cultures are not the same so why would God only have one way to reach he/she/it? I am happy for the Christians that now have a Pope that is actually worthy of having the job.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The pope seems to be a good man, but he only represents Catholics. He doesn't represent Christians.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The pope seems to be a good man, but he only represents Catholics. He doesn't represent Christians.

Two sides same coin.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Where do you get that false information from...?

The Pope represents 1.3Billion Christians!

Catholicism is still Christianity.

The original Christianity, with that said.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It's great efforts being made by both the Mufti & the Pope...

It'd be a shame if this were to go to waste...

S&F.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

He is still a good role model for Christians though.

He may be the leader of the Catholic Church, but he engages in activities of which should be expected of all Christians. I'd say he is worthy of being the face of the largest branch of the world's most prominent religion.
edit on 29-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
On the general topic of the thread though, it is good to see such relationships made between pre-eminent figures of both the Islamic and Christian faiths.

Too many people focus on divisive aspects. If people could get rid of their differences and discrimination, this world would be much better.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
he does seem like a decent man which I guess is what you want in a the leader of a church, must be a little bit of pressure there. I read that he believes military involvement is called for in the middle east against ISIS and is hoping the Turkish government adopt his thinking. It must be difficult in his position, I only know the old cliches from the bible so I might be way of target, but one hand you're being told to forgive and turn the cheek, and on the next page that an eye for an eye could be a suitable medicine. Either way, I hope that his suggestion that Turkey do more to stem isis isn't seen as the Pope being used as a western mouthpiece but as a legitimate concern from a wise and gracious individual.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

Turning the other cheek is basically saying if someone slaps you, turn the other cheek for them to slap also...

I'm not too sure what the Bible or NT says about retribution...

The Quran calls for Jihad against the likes of IS...

I'm sure the Bible has a similar stance in times of assault.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If this currwnt Pope believes or knows he is the one suited to the position. .........then do it.

End the wars
End the divisions
End the inequality
End the suffering
and end the profiteering from the misery of others.

If you can't. ........youre not the one for me.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
There aren't multiple paths to God. This pope is terrible. The Gospel has been preached to ALL nations time and again for the past 2000 years.

Catholicism is NOT Biblical Christianity.

This pope is just setting the stage for one world religion and the coming of the anti-christ to power.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: graphuto

There aren't multiple paths to God.

Yes to those with a very narrow view,

the narrower the view the less paths you see.

Open your mind and eyes to what is all around you,

The paths are infinite in number, could be why there is there so much conflict because each wants their path to be the only one when inside they doubt themselves that are on the correct one so attack other paths.

The path to God is life, live it and in the end you go back to God no matter what path you take.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: graphuto
There aren't multiple paths to God. This pope is terrible. The Gospel has been preached to ALL nations time and again for the past 2000 years.

This pope is just setting the stage for one world religion and the coming of the anti-christ to power.

Something along the lines of what I would say. Glad I'm not the only one

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Catholics ARE Christians.

The pope doesn't represent ALL Christians.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/3/2014 by FlyersFan because: mod tags

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: graphuto

Catholicism is Christian. It is based on scripture AND sacred tradition. Scripture itself states that sacred tradition is a good thing and should be held onto. If you prefer your Christianity to be bible based alone (no where in scripture does it say 'sola scriptura'), then great but the fact is Catholicism is Christian, and it was here 1500 years before the Protestants and their myriad of different interpretations of Christianity.

As for what the pope is doing, he is doing the same kind of ecumenical outreach thing that Pope Benedict did. Trying to make nice even though there are VAST differences in religious beliefs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

join