It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White teen killed by black cop in Alabama mirrors Ferguson...yet no outrage

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikecheque
I am a long time "lurker" and had to register just to reply to this thread. I am quite Black and so is my wife. We did not even discuss the Wilson/Brown case. I am , admittedly, on the net a great deal more than her and read about the case. I mostly read the comments on multiple forums (including this site). From some of the comments you would believe all 44+ million of us Black folks here in the good ol' U.S. of A showed up in Ferguson to protest and riot en masse. All i kept reading was "The Blacks..." this, 'The Black community...." that. I know this may be hard for some people to grasp, but we are not the Borg. We are not a colony of ants. We do not act as a collective. We do not have secret Blacker-berg meetings and plan the actions of all Black people on the planet. Some foolish people in Ferguson rioted, I get that. Why am I, here in Georgia, responsible for that? Some people have theorized, hypothesized, speculated (however you want to put it) that if Black people took personal responsibility for themselves they could improve their "community". Yet, when someone Black commits a nefarious act, somehow some people hold all other Blacks responsible. If you are rattling off the oft quoted "13% of the population, yet responsible for 40-80% of crime", I am talking to you. I do not have a criminal record, why am I responsible for those that do? I am sorry that Mookie or Ray-Ray down the street robbed you, but they did not stop by my house and give me a cut.

I love your politically correct speech, but my sympathy for the innocent African Americans has all but disappeared. You are here complaining that all Black people are lumped into one boat, I get how bad it is, but either A.) Suck it [SNIP] up ; or B.) Jump on [SNIP] those in your community who do the EXACT SAME THING TO WHITE PEOPLE. I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing [SNIP] about things like White privilege, and how white people are inherently discriminatory, white men are taking advantage ofblacks and hispanics and sick of seeing shirts like one at a mall that a Black man was wearing during a Ferguson protest that said "Retired Slave" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The freed slaves of the mid 19th century would kill your ass (the guy wearing the shirt) for the benefits poor Blacks are eligible for today.

African Americans are not fighting against the elements in your own race that are keeping you guys in the 'position' you are in today, that is why I have absolutely no sympathy for you, you want other people to fight your battles for you. Instead of raising their kids around gangster rap that glorifies hoes, bitches, the club, drugs and money, how about black people educate their kids to be like Dr. Ben Carson, a young black man born in the freaking 50's in the Ghetto of Detroit who managed to get multiple masters and doctorates, moved himself OUT OF detroit and who became the Director of pediatric neurosurgery (or something else as crazy as that) at a nationally prestiged and very important hospital in the country. How about African Americans encourage their kids to follow his foot steps? Right now they aren't and kids are going to follow the crowd, which, right now, glorifies hating police, pimping out women and selling drugs and rapping. I'm not saying all white people do this, but one thing I have noticed is that in the overwhelming majority of white families encourage and pursue paths for their kids to have a successful career in the real world that doesn't glorify bustin caps in [SNIP]. I'm also not saying that their aren't any blacks who are not encouraging meanigful and beneficial careers.

White people have our own system of checks against that help us advance. We have the White men who would do anything to make the most profit, even if that means destroying the wilderness in the profits, or who would pay their workers dirt cheap, but what did White people do to remedy this situation? White people began making unions and pushing the government to create a department that would protect the wilderness from the big oil companies. African Americans need the same thing. There are the negative elements in the African American community who are doing things that are keeping African Americans down, this has NOTHING TO DO with what white people (at an institutional level) are doing. African Americans are selling crack and coc aine on their neighborhood street corners, it's not the Police doing it, it's not the government. They are trying to help the blacks that are BUYING the crack and coc aine and who have become dependent on it, but then when that drug dealer is shot by cops the black community rises up and demands justice, justice for the crack dealer that was selling crack to the 12 year old.

Hope this didn't offend you to much but that is my 2 cents, I will just leave you with this, maybe hearing it from another black man will make it easier to hear:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

his mom was amazing, really.
that's an environment issue.

none of this is actually the fault of race but is being made into a race issue, because the gov declaring full scale war on the american people is a waste of resources. it will leave them holding the "guilty" charge and they want that blood to be on someone else's hands (to be used against them later). so they are trying to raise up an army of our own people to facilitate the same ends, and who will later, be accused by the same people who convinced them to do it in the first place, of being awful animals. all of it, artificially engineered.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

So you advocate that rioting and burning down businesses, trashing homes, stealing and assaulting people is the effective method to do this?

That's basically what you're saying,

Where did I say that? It is you who makes that leap, not I. One doesn't have to riot and burn things down to get things done.

Martin Luther King followed this same exact method of holding signs and peaceful demonstration and he changed the world

Are you saying he wasn't effective?

MLK did not himself change things alone. His protests also involved millions of people marching on Washington D.C., as well as years of numerous protests involving thousands. On top of that, MLK himself didn't change things, or even get the ball rolling. Changes were already starting, although slowly. On top of it, MLK wasn't the only player, and there were far more than protests and civil disobedience involved by other players. There were also a lot of riots and more political battling.

Can't even be compared here. Where are the million man marches on state capitals and Washington D.C.? Where are the crowds of thousands showing up at police headquarters and city hall protesting police brutality? Where are the pressures and demands on congress and other elected officials to do something?

So far, I haven't seen white people do squat about police brutality. I've seen millions of white Tea Partyers march on D.C. for a thousand stupid reasons, none of which was to address cops out of control. If anything, they continue to support LEO blindly.

You state the only people you see raising the issue are minorities....

To that I would have to say you are either blind, not looking hard enough, or completely bias.....

All one had to do is search ATS or Google to find examples of this.....it's really not that hard

Really? Where?

Show me where there is a massive demonstration and demand from predominantly white people demanding action against police brutality? Where?

A couple of people holding up signs is not action.

-

To add: I thought white people were also present at all the protests around the country for this case, or are you going to now tell me they were all minorities

I'd check your reading comprehension before you continue.

A few white people does not outrage make, nor am I discussing Ferguson here. We are discussing a case of a white guy, unarmed and naked, who was shot by a cop (who was black). And why that, despite this, we see no protests. We do not see groups of angry white people demanding more investigation, we do not see them demanding this cop step down, we do not see them demanding that their elected leaders take action. No demands for justice, no large traffic stopping protests, no calls for investigation into the police department.

My argument here, in case you are missing it, is not that whites are all racist. My argument is that whites, as a group, are sheep when it comes to authority, and do not question or scrutinize authority, especially the cops, even when they should. A handful of white people joining the protests regarding Brown just prove my point.

If whites cared about police brutality anywhere near as much as they cared about other issues, then we would see far more action and media coverage of it. But the only time police brutality becomes a national talking point is when blacks bring it up and push the issue nationally. Whites seldom, if ever do.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

So in this little warped world of yours who sells the guns to these black street kids?

who's supplying these street corner kids with the drugs they sell?

Who owns the record companies of this gangster rap your talk of?

Has it ever occurred to you that not all white people are suit wearing yuppies or middle class people working 12 hours a day?

There are plenty of white criminals out there, has that ever occurred to you?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo
a reply to: Annee

well naturally, with half the country yelling about it, it'll eventually cross the learning new approaches threshhold, only to smash headlong into our jobs being sent to china. back to square 1. again, this is not their fault.

Still an excuse.

You want to reach that far? How about this ---- stop producing children in an economy that has no jobs for them.

I can reach too.

No job? You make a job. You make yourself available to whatever is available and work your way up.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

well naturally, with half the country yelling about it, it'll eventually cross the learning new approaches threshhold, only to smash headlong into our jobs being sent to china. back to square 1. again, this is not their fault.

Still an excuse.

You want to reach that far? How about this ---- stop producing children in an economy that has no jobs for them.

I can reach too.

No job? You make a job. You make yourself available to whatever is available and work your way up.

i have a friend who has applied for over 10,000 jobs and not gotten one. granted she's older and white (and has a debilitating disease), but still, 10,000 is alot of jobs to not qualify for (even though she did qualify for them). the job market is rough and with affirmative action making it more attractive for a struggling business to hire minorities, that equals a whole lot of white folks who aren't being hired. poor lady was about to commit suicide last night. i managed to talk her out of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Still an excuse.

I can reach too.

i have a friend who has applied for over 10,000 jobs and not gotten one. granted she's older and white (and has a debilitating disease), but still, 10,000 is alot of jobs to not qualify for (even though she did qualify for them). the job market is rough and with affirmative action making it more attractive for a struggling business to hire minorities, that equals a whole lot of white folks who aren't being hired. poor lady was about to commit suicide last night. i managed to talk her out of it.

I've never gotten a job by applying for one.

There's always scrubbing floors. There's always creating your own cleaning service by starting with one house.

If I was in a homeless shelter, I'd, on my own, start making beds, sweeping the floor, doing anything and everything to help the administrator. That's how you make yourself invaluable. That's how you stand out. That's how you get recognized and recommended for a paying job.

After my divorce I worked temp jobs. I bugged the people I worked with to teach me everything. I usually got shifted from department to department because of my work ethic. One of the jobs had a blueprint plotter. I asked everyone who came in if they knew how to work it. Finally someone did and I learned how to work a blueprint plotter. One day the big wigs from Korea came. They needed a blueprint printed. No one in the office new how to work the machine. So, the lowly temp saved the day. Because, I took the initiative to learn --- not just the job I was hired to do ---- but, everything.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

So in this little warped world of yours who sells the guns to these black street kids?

who's supplying these street corner kids with the drugs they sell?

Who owns the record companies of this gangster rap your talk of?

Has it ever occurred to you that not all white people are suit wearing yuppies or middle class people working 12 hours a day?

There are plenty of white criminals out there, has that ever occurred to you?

I wonder the Ratio of white to Black on Wallstreet, the real criminals.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

yeah unfortunately, as with my response to the guy on the previous page, you are seeing the world from your own perspective and not considering the life differences, of the people you're referencing. the lady literally, cannot do physical labor. has no husband, no job, her only child was taken from her by her sister several years prior, on the pretext that she couldn't support her correctly, after her and her husband divorced. her sister won the case (it helped that she worked for child protective services).

she has lymes disease and some kind of acute arthritis that she was actually born with. so, she's been applying for remote jobs. the kind where you work from your home. she' can't get on disability because the diagnosis for her arthitis condition vanished (was from a medical file when she was a child and she doesn't remember who the doctor was and her parents are dead so she can't ask them). she's also homeless and was recently provided a small cabin to live in by a friend, who did so out of his own pocket because she only qualifies for food stamps. she can't get social security cause she's not that old yet. she has no car and no drivers license and couldn't get one anyway, because she can't afford a house payment much less a car. i mean this lady is in dire straits, and the sad thing is, she's absolutely brilliant.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Thats your problem right there. It seems excessive force is in America only a problem when blacks are involved. The guy whom got shot in the back because he did not hear the cop over his ear muffs. Cops shooting at cars like theyve seen in the movies, there is a lot training needs to adress.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Lipton

None of those numbers from last year change the fact that there is a HISTORY of oppression against blacks in America. A long history, stretching over many, many years.
Are you trolling..? Certainly seems like it. Are you seriously that ignorant

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I've never gotten a job by applying for one.

Really? The only way I've ever gotten a job was applying for it. After applying for many others.

There's always scrubbing floors. There's always creating your own cleaning service by starting with one house.

Yes, because starting a cleaning service will get everyone out of poverty....not.

If I was in a homeless shelter, I'd, on my own, start making beds, sweeping the floor, doing anything and everything to help the administrator. That's how you make yourself invaluable. That's how you stand out. That's how you get recognized and recommended for a paying job.

I actually lived in a homeless shelter. There were no beds to make. We slept on the floor on jail house mats with donated blankets. Residents did sweep the floors and do small tasks in the shelter to help keep it clean. Doing these things did not make one "invaluable" or increase their odds of getting anywhere. Nor did it make anyone stand out. The biggest incentive to do these tasks was a point system where one could trade points to get things like socks, shampoo, vitamins, ect. There was no one at the homeless shelter looking to hire or recruit the homeless for anything resembling a job.

After my divorce I worked temp jobs. I bugged the people I worked with to teach me everything. I usually got shifted from department to department because of my work ethic. One of the jobs had a blueprint plotter. I asked everyone who came in if they knew how to work it. Finally someone did and I learned how to work a blueprint plotter. One day the big wigs from Korea came. They needed a blueprint printed. No one in the office new how to work the machine. So, the lowly temp saved the day. Because, I took the initiative to learn --- not just the job I was hired to do ---- but, everything.

That's very nice, however, it doesn't work that way most of the time for most people. If making myself valuable was the key, I'd have not gotten laid off from several jobs in the past.

One thing I have learned in the army that holds true to civilian life: It's rarely about what you know, but who you know, that will get you ahead.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I was going to post a reply similar to yours because of the racist bias here on the thread.
"Those who address race the most, are usually the most racist".
-Propulsion

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

she has lymes disease and some kind of acute arthritis that she was actually born with. so, she's been applying for remote jobs. the kind where you work from your home. she' can't get on disability because the diagnosis for her arthitis condition vanished (was from a medical file when she was a child and she doesn't remember who the doctor was and her parents are dead so she can't ask them). she's also homeless and was recently provided a small cabin to live in by a friend, who did so out of his own pocket because she only qualifies for food stamps. she can't get social security cause she's not that old yet. she has no car and no drivers license and couldn't get one anyway, because she can't afford a house payment much less a car. i mean this lady is in dire straits, and the sad thing is, she's absolutely brilliant.

You are right, I am not taking into account life differences --- because they mean ZIP.

My mom had polio. I have medical issues. My daughter has Crohn's.

My daughter started in Hollywood at 17 years old as basically a gopher. She's done everything including scrubbing toilets --- because there is no such thing as "Not my job".

Today with her knowledge she can sometimes work by phone, which she has done, more then once, from a hot bathtub during severe Crohns attacks. Also from a hospital bed.

You want to hear about how her sons father died of Leukemia while she was in the hospital having him and she is the sole support of the family? Yada yada yada.

Excuses are still excuses. Legitimate or not.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

well can't get blood out of a turnip, as the saying goes. if you can't do physical labor, you can't do physical labor. no math required, just a bit of logic. and if you were to tell her to pull herself up by her bootstraps while she was suicidal, it would not have shocked her into being able to do physical labor. her only moral support are people who are not members of her family, as her parents are dead and her sister is not a very nice person. she's also not a young person, so she's also fighting the onset of decreased physical energy and slower healing of any additional problems that do arise.

i hear what you're saying but don't think it's applicable across the board.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical
a reply to: kaylaluv

Enough with the old ages. Stop living in the past. That is what is wrong with society today. Thinking they were them back then. Do you see the Irish acting like this today or the Jewish community? No excuse for the actions of the African Americans today. They did not come off a ship to be sold into slavery. They were born American, and should act American.
Yeah, if it’s not the race card, its black peoples being in chains and getting whipped all those years ago. I don’t owe black people anything for what happened then. It’s about time that people start getting over themselves. Free yourself and move forward with your life.
edit on 30-11-2014 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
whites are not targeted by whites because their ethnicity, you must not live on earth to be able to put 2 and 2 together. Whites did have a riot about pumpkins though
edit on 11pm511America/Chicago3025k by magnetik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Propulsion

it's actually not about race - it's political.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

well can't get blood out of a turnip, as the saying goes. if you can't do physical labor, you can't do physical labor. no math required, just a bit of logic. and if you were to tell her to pull herself up by her bootstraps while she was suicidal, it would not have shocked her into being able to do physical labor. her only moral support are people who are not members of her family, as her parents are dead and her sister is not a very nice person. she's also not a young person, so she's also fighting the onset of decreased physical energy and slower healing of any additional problems that do arise.

i hear what you're saying but don't think it's applicable across the board.

I'm 68. So, I understand age. I hope she can get disability.

We've had to give up a lot because of circumstances beyond our control. My daughter had to pawn her gramma's wedding rings for food. I divorced my husband of 20 years to stay with the grandson who is on the Autism spectrum. We sold everything we could and moved into a cramped apt. Etc etc etc.

It is what it is. There is no room for excuses --- they only delay putting one foot in front of the other.

Enough of that. Excuses can be a part of the OP -- but I think this is sliding too far sideways.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Why do you praise people who lie down and don’t say a peep when the police kill civilians?

That’s not necessarily a good thing.

It is recorded that white folks riot over succor games and summer drunk fests not people being gunned down unarmed by police.

Is that a virtue?

This may be an illustration that white folks are more asleep than black folks.
edit on 30-11-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join