It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support for Ferguson in the middle of no where in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
So I live in a fairly small city in canada, aprox. 200,000 people and our province, while being large land wise, has a very small population, 1 mil.

Now normally you don't see us involved in too much politics from other countries, we keep to ourselves. Most people haven't heard of anonymous, they don't know the real statistics of Ebola, they don't want to talk about politics, most don't know what caused the war between ISIS and the state, they're too worried about their own lives to concern themselves with another countries problems.

So when I saw a picture of a sign on one of our bridges (one that's shut down, no public access)that said "Justice for Ferguson" I felt proud to know that there's people here who know what's going on and want justice served. After that sign popped up fb was flooded with my friends adding their support to the Ferguson Cause. One girl I know's (she has an amazing soul, she was born in the states and traveled all over there so she has a pretty good idea what the racism is like there)comment really stood out to me:

Regarding the things that have gone down in Ferguson, and elsewhere (Because this is NOT an isolated incident), I keep seeing people posting about the need to respect the authorities and support the police. I will state here and now--I do not respect authority in its own right, as some untouchable entity. I respect and support individual PEOPLE. There are people in every vocation, every skin colour, every religion, and every walk of life who can be considered good or terrible examples of whatever they are representing. I implore you, do not judge those who are in authority by their titles, do not judge people by their skin--LOOK and listen with your own eyes and ears, at how they treat the people around them. I absolutely do NOT support the abuse of authority to oppress people. I do NOT support destroying unrelated property in blind rage. I support every person's right to live without fear of being harassed, abused, or killed by the people who are supposed to protect them, and I support their right to be judged fairly on their actions and their actions alone.

So to the people of Ferguson, from the middle of the no where in Canada, know our hearts go out to you.
edit on 28-11-2014 by InfamousSiren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InfamousSiren

Well said!

Thanks to the internet information is spreading, not being covered up. To some authorities chagrin, I am sure.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And more hearts go out to Ferguson from the middle of nowhere in New Mexico!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i still don't understand what people's focus is on this story?
the cop was incompetent and should not have killed him.
But why is everyone acting like Brown was an innocent and pure victim?
He was a textbook thug. it's on camera.
does anyone think he woke up saying "Today i'm gonna be a a jerk, but starting tomorrow i will follow my true vocation and become a priest and help my community!"
He was just going to go downhill from there.
Should he have been killed? absolutely not.
But please stop treating him like he was some poor victim of circumstances.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Did the photo make the daily paper? Did it make the rounds in the local media?
They have to be shown it at least 4X to stick in their memories. Rinse, and repeat.

We were surprised back when George Bush came to our little city in the middle of nowhere - surprised to see a few hundred people organized into a large protest - surprised that they knew lots about George's backstory. When they did the same for the occupy movement, and other local and national events, well it was neat to see.

All it takes is one person to start the convo - score one for the guy with a sign!

ps danged star phoenix
edit on 28-11-2014 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Sigh... That's not what this post is about. This is about supporting justice and stopping racism. Even if Michael Browne was not the model citizen (and we don't know that for sure), it was wrong for the cop to shoot him like that.

Now what about the 12 year old boy who was shot in 10 seconds by a cop for shooting off a pellet gun in a park? Was the boy asking for it? Was he a thug? Or was he a boy who was not taught better by his parents? Was he angry and bitter? What if he was white? Would the situation played out the same?

And how do you know Browne was going to go down hill from there? I know lots of people who don't live in the best circumstances, or have done terrible things, but realize their mistakes and become better people.

By saying that 'oh he was going downhill from there' you create a self fufilling prophecy. You brainwash someone into believing that they are going downhill from there, that there's no hope for them. Which is wrong. There's hope for everyone.

What do you think stereotypes do to people. They make them believe that's how they're suppose to behave so they behave the way expected of them. Again it's a self fufilling prophecy.

edit on 28-11-2014 by InfamousSiren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
But why is everyone acting like Brown was an innocent and pure victim?

No one, in this thread is acting like that. Perhaps you got the wrong thread? There are plenty where people are fighting over who was innocent and who was at fault. If you're looking for a fight, go post in one of them. This thread is about support for a town and its people, who are going through some VERY hard times. This is about having a heart and sympathy for a whole town, who are victims of their circumstances.

But please stop treating him like he was some poor victim of circumstances.

We are ALL victims of our circumstances.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ItsEvolutionBaby

Honestly I don't know, I don't pay attention to the local media because a lot of it doesn't discuss world events.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Ferguson was the result of the clash of two cultures, neither exactly right. It is foolish to take a stand for one side or the other.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
Ferguson was the result of the clash of two cultures, neither exactly right.

Cultures come together and love together in peace all the time. I live in such a mishmash of cultures. More likely, Ferguson is the result of Decades of Institutionalized Racism

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Do you honestly think that when you start a post that all that answer should automatically agree with you. I'm afraid that is not what ATS is about. Let me say I live in England and at the moment the Ferguson people who are rioting or causing trouble are just re-reinforcing their own stereotyping. I totally disagree with your post. They do not need more encouragement. They don't need your love or support. They need some one to sit them down and tell them which way the cookie crumbles. Yes they are discriminated against. Yes the law enforcement officers may be against them. But they will get absolutely damn no where by their present actions. They might think they are striking a blow for equality and freedom but they are only digging their graves deeper. There is only ONE way to change their situation and that is through the ballot box, whether you like them or not it can only be altered from the top down. They might think "revolution", that might have worked 100 odd years ago but now the authorities have a bigger and better armed force than they can ever hope to beat. So all they are doing now is self fulfilling their own stereotyping and ruining their own comunity and adding trouble for the next black community that encounters discrimination from the law.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Do you honestly think that when you argue with my post that I'm not going to debate with you? You have your opinion and I have mine, but I will stand up for my belief while still considering yours.

I'm support ALL people in who are negatively affected in ferguson, not only the rioters but those affected by the riots, the cops, the peaceful protestors.

And I do agree with you. Violent protesting/rioting doesn't solve anything. The people causing crimes should be arrested but the peaceful protestors have a right to stand up for themselves. But when has going to the ballot box ever change anything? Did voting for Obama after bush change anything in the states? Not really.

What's another middle solution? Something between telling them they're wrong for fighting for their rights, and telling them that violence and causing others suffering is alright?

new topics

top topics

join