It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pharrell Williams under fire over Michael Brown comments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

PHARRELL Williams is under fire over comments he made in an interview about the shooting death of 18-year-old African American Michael Brown by a white police officer,, describing the teenager’s behaviour leading up to his killing as “bully-ish”.

Before he was shot dead on August 9, Brown was caught on surveillance camera stealing a few cigarillos from a convenience store in Ferguson, Missouri, and intimidating the shop owner.

“It looked very bully-ish; that in itself I had a problem with,” Williams told Ebonymagazine. “Not with the kid, but with whatever happened in his life for him to arrive at a place where that behaviour is OK. Why aren’t we talking about that?”

“The boy was walking in the middle of the street when the police supposedly told him to ‘get the f*** on the sidewalk’. If you don’t listen to that, after just having pushed a store owner, you’re asking for trouble,” he added.

Link

What exactly did Williams say that was inaccurate or wrong? Why are his comments about the shooting, and the Bill Cosby issue and black culture taken so out of context by the media?

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, Williams angered some when he said “the new black doesn’t blame others races for our issues”.

He speaks truth and the media does not like it!

edit on 28/11/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

He didn't say anything wrong IMO. He spoke his mind and that seems to not be the PC thing to do today unless what's on your mind flies with what is kosher that week.

There is no money to be made in the media for the truth. There is however a ton of money and a ton of ratings involved in selling a martyr mentality at every possible point.

That's the sad truth. It's not just Mike Brown either. It's everybody.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Pharrell is cool and knows the score. As should everyone else. But most people, or at least the ones barking the loudest, just seem mentally unable to accept the truth with this thing.
Right on, Pharrell. Keep talking and do not apologize.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I remember when Pharrell first started getting popular, I believe with N.E.R.D, and he stuck out as a guy who does his own thing instead of trying to copy everyone else in the industry. Considering most other people in that genera since then have been using him as a source for their "sound" (check into how many popular rap/pop songs have Pharrell behind the beat) it seems to have served him well. He seems like a "real" person to me, and this is further confirmation of that for me.

You can't hold a mirror up to others and expect them to examine their thoughts and behavior without also taking a look in that mirror yourself. I, like many others here on ATS, have been rallying against police corruption and abuses for a long time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore or justify bad actions by those that are typically victims of the police abuses. The issue of police abuse is a huge one, and it's roots go deep into the authoritarian slide this country has been going down for awhile. It's not a race issue. Predators seek out vulnerable victims, and the black population is vulnerable because of their historical situation and their current economic and social situation, among other things.

The fact that everyone on the "pro mike brown" side refuse to even accept that this guy wasn't some wholesome little kid shows they aren't seeking truth or justice, they are only seeking revenge for their own situation or to further a negative agenda. The complexity comes in when you realize their anger IS justified, but their actions are not. Until people can see the "anger" and the "action" as two separate things, we aren't going to get anywhere. When you attack their actions, they take it as an attack on their right to be angry about their situation, which just makes them even more angry and less able to think logically and rationally. Some people who criticize the actions of people in ferguson have the same problem, they recognize the actions of those people are wrong, and they parlay that into meaning the peoples anger at their situation is wrong too, so they dismiss the VALID complaints that those populations have.

It's all very cleverly crafted theater to get us hating each other, or at the very least apathetic when we see each other being abused. In this whole situation I have seen the most blatant pot-stirring and overt racism from BOTH sides as I've ever seen in any of these things. The Trayvon Martin situation was tame by comparison.

Pharrell looks like he refuses to be controlled and manipulated into emotional reactionary thoughts and actions, and for that he is being attacked by the same machine that put this thing into motion in the first place. I tip my hat to him, but now I worry about what "scandal" (probably sexual of some nature) will befall him in the near future.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Yup OP, welcome to the new reality. Every time the lowlifes in society do something extra low we reassess what good and bad really means. Bullying used to be what kids at school did to each other. Now bullying has been expanded to include robbery and battery. Hell, Pharrel was being generous describing his behaviour that way, and he's still getting slammed for it.

When even a successful man and positive cultural influence like Pharrel can't get away with criticizing an absolute thug....what is American society coming to? It is no longer acceptable to observe reality and comment on it, even that is now considered wrong, judgemental, discriminatory.

We have lost the plot.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Are you saying the media are driving this . On topic how many white people buy pharrells music . Is this him making comments to not upset his demographic .

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

He speaks truth and the media does not like it!

OPINION: Interesting

-

"VANCOUVER, Nov. 22, 2014 – Jon Kelly, a veteran CBS producer who spent four years as Vancouver UFO Examiner", has the opinion that he was recently "Censored by CIA" from the Examiner.com.

Censore d by CIA on Cosby/Obama, journalists to launch “Inside-Out” News agency with mainstream access

edit on 28-11-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Micheal Brown probably was a bully, but the point is it doesn't excuse Darren Wilsons behavior anymore than if you tried to justify what the columbine kids did because they were being bullied.

People can believe whatever they want, but imo you just need to look into wilsons eyes in his recent interview to see that he's outright lying about how it unfolded and clearly has a major case of small man syndrome and should have never been a police officer in the first place.

It should also be obvious to anyone with any kind of intelligence or experience in being bullied that Brown stood over him and made Wilson feel insignificant. But instead of waiting for back up (like any good police officer would have done), Wilson just snapped, got out of his car and started firing off shoots in an attempt to prove he was in charge.

Like I said, this whole incident was a simple case of small man syndrome and Wilson belongs in jail for what he did to this unarmed teenager.
edit on 28-11-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Are you saying the media are driving this . On topic how many white people buy pharrells music . Is this him making comments to not upset his demographic .

Of course, a person of color comes out with an opinion contrary to what you "think" he should believe, and once again it comes back to whitey. I doubt the type of white people who listen to Pharrells music are conservative, pro-police types. If anything he is offending more of his listening base by saying what he did, as evidence look at him being attacked as we speak.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Micheal Brown probably was a bully, but the point is it doesn't excuse Darren Wilsons behavior anymore than if you tried to justify what the columbine kids did because they were being bullied.

People can believe whatever they want, but imo you just need to look into wilsons eyes in his recent interview to see that he's outright lying about how it unfolded and clearly has a major case of small man syndrome and should have never been a police officer in the first place.

It should also be obvious to anyone with any kind of intelligence or experience in being bullied that Brown stood over him and made Wilson feel insignificant. But instead of waiting for back up (like any good police officer would have done), Wilson just snapped, got out of his car and started firing off shoots in an attempt to prove he was in charge.

Like I said, this whole incident was a simple case of small man syndrome and Wilson belongs in jail for what he did to this unarmed teenager.

The whole incident was not a "simple" case of anything. If you seek to boil everything down into "oh any smart person can OBVIOUSLY see xxx and yyy" instead of actually looking at the situation from all sides and listening to other people's perspectives, you aren't helping anything. You aren't a psychic, you don't know what Wilson is thinking or what truly happened that day. You are dealing with conflicting reports, incomplete knowledge, and purposeful misdirection from both sides, just like all of us are. In all that muck if you still claim to know exactly what's going on, well I can't say I trust a single word you say. Sorry to be so blunt.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I am absolutely saying that the media spins ANY story in a way that will garner the most responses, better ratings, etc. I am also saying very clearly and very deliberately (let there be no mistaking this sentence if nothing else) that the media and the government both stir the pot to suit themselves. What may have started as one thing can and does get spun into something completely different on many occasions. One only has to search on ATS to find the truth in that if they want to find it bad enough.

I'm also stating that whether the Brown shooting was racial or not, the media would have made it that way before the sun set on another day for naught but ratings. Look at their ratings... Who didn't stay tuned in watching to see what happened next. They stirred the pot. Take Wilson and Brown out of the equation and put any other scenario in there that could be used to tug on the heart strings of America... They would sell their mother on a rainy say in June if it garnered an extra 100,000 viewers IMO.

I also do not know how many white people buy anything if I am to be totally, bluntly honest here. That's just not something that crosses my mind on a day to day basis. I couldn't tell you the amount of white people, black people, Latino people, Indian people, or even Inuit people that buy anything because that's just not the way my mind works. I don't care so I don't pay attention.

If I like it... I buy it. I don't care who else is or isn't buying it.

I also think Pharrell has enough money and a big enough following that he doesn't have to needlessly pander to anyone for anything about any subject. That's just my opinion though and I know many will likely disagree.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i hope he doesn't apologize for having an educated opinion.
i'm fed the fu#k up with this SJW movement demanding people to apologize left and right as soon as their feelings are hurt

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Well, without being clouded with the emotional arguments of black crime, white racism or police corruption it kind of becomes quite simple and not complex at all when looking at the actual incident in a totally logical manner.

A fact that no one on either side disagrees with is after the original altercation brown was walking off, Wilson hoped out of his car with the full knowledge he had no chance of apprehending brown on his own without using lethal force and so pulled his gun out on an unarmed teenager, when he could have just of easily waited for back up. Clearly a major error in judgement.

What is so complex about that?

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

You and me both. I would much rather someone come out with a mouthful of hateful, bigoted, racist, cake hole sewage, rhetoric and let it stand, than I would for someone to say such things only to turn around and apologize for saying something that they wholeheartedly meant. I might disagree with them. I might find their views ignorant, outdated, senile etc. but I would always prefer that over the closet racists, homophobes, etc. At least you know where you stand when they do that.

I despise... Yes. Despise people who who say something only to flip flop when lay over like a dead dog when they are called to the carpet for it. At least have enough character to stick to what you believe regardless of 99.99999% of the population disagree.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
That's racist! Seriously it's time we stop making excuses and start cleaning the mess up.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18710174]Kangaruex4Ew
A simple yes would have done . lol . I get the point of the media driving things for ratings . Here in Australia we pretty much had trial by media back in the 70s . Lindy Chamberlain (a dingo ate my baby ) was tried by the media as she was a seventh day adventist . Not mainstream here by any means . I was one of the few that advocated in my circle that she may be innocent .As for pharrell i wasn't saying that you had an opinion one way or the other . I was just throwing it out there . He is right in my opinion but i just questioned if there were motifs behind it .

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Read below i think .?

Above sorry
edit on 28-11-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

A simple yes, is hard for me to do. It's a personal issue.

But I agree about ulterior motives... These days you can't really ever be sure anymore. It's not out of the realm of possibility that's for sure.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa Wow, you must really have it in for Police Officer's. If you had read anything concerning this incident. You would have read that Michael attacked Darren. Through the car window. Darren simply defended himself. Basically that was the evidence given to the grand jury. So I you do not believe in the evidence presented to the grand jury. What do you suppose Darren was suppose to do when he was attacked by Michael? I find it hard to accept the facts that people do not want to believe that Michael was a thug, as the store video would show.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

It's claimed by Wilson he was attacked, but let's for argument sake say it is the true account of events. Then he should have obviously (like I have clearly already stated) acted like a professional and waited for back up like any good police officer would have done. Instead of firing off 12 rounds at an unarmed teenager in the middle of the day like a psychopathic thug.

Fact is, Police get attacked all the time by idiots, it's just a reality of there job. They should be competent enough to deal with the situation like a professional and arrest the suspect in the safest way possible, instead of just flipping out and making a huge mess of the situation like the Ferguson incident turned out to be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join