It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

might buy 2 pistols tomorrow...kind of have it narrowed down...expert opinions please?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

is there a glossary or database i can read through to get familiar with these.
like the difference between a .45acp and .45 auto

No difference, same round.

+P is going to be whatever round but with more oomph.

By no means an expert. I just have shot a fair number of guns and used to read about them non stop. It's been awhile since I went through my initial gun craze.

I think the best advice really is to go to the range and try as many as possible.

I would stick to 9mm, .40 or ,45. I would personally go with a Glock in either 9mm or .40. If you really must spend more get a Sig in one of those calibers. Seriously though, shoot both first. The Glock is going to be really easy to learn on and you won't ever outgrow it. Since you're not planning on carrying it, go with a full size. You'll have more fun with it. You can also get kits to convert them to .22 which will allow you to shoot a LOT more for the same $ with essentially the same gun. I need to pick one up.

If you're not planning on carrying don't bother with a snub nose. They aren't fun to shoot and they aren't accurate . The only reason I keep mine is because it's a great pocket gun when it's warm out. Only downside is that it sort of looks like you have a banana in your pocket (this may not be a downside for everyone).

If you must buy something other than a Glock or Sig, look at Beretta, Springfield, Kimber and only because I trust Projectvxn S&W M&P. DO NOT BUY ANY TAURUS. Also try to ignore some of the more weird and exotic stuff people post. You shouldn't go out and buy some obscure $2500 1911 (or anything else). Buy something that you see police departments and Federal agencies/military using. I still think that most guys would pick a Glock they could choose one gun from a table full without knowing all the guns histories, and were told they would have to use it to defend themselves in 2 minutes.

edit on 2720141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2720141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Stay Away From Gander Mountain !!

The are outrageously over priced. Believe it or not, if you have a Rural King near you, go look at their selection. Some of the stores carry a pretty good stock of guns at very reasonable prices. As one poster said, buying several different guns won't help as much as being good with what you have. Buy one pistol and spend the money for the other on ammo. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you're new to handguns, 9 mm might be best to start. A .45 is going to have quite a bit more recoil and that may discourage a new shooter, causing you to shoot less often and fewer rounds when you do go.
edit on 28-11-2014 by DAVID64 because: corrections

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
.38 special is the lowest powered .38. +P simply means plus power and may damage a gun not made for it over time. Most modern guns will shoot either just fine, but the cylinder will not be long enough to shoot .357 magnums.

.45, .45 auto and .45 ACP are all the same. ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol. Not to be confused with .45 long colt or the .454 Casull. .45 is simply the caliber, and the rest is more about how much powder is behind it.

There are usually more than a few different levels of each caliber available to buy. It is really more of a personal choice which one you choose. Until you shoot thru a few of them you won't know which one you prefer, or which one your gun may prefer.

There is an ocean of stuff to learn out there about any given round. I suggest you pick one and dig in and find out for yourself. Usually when I buy a new gun I buy a few different kinds of ammo for that gun and see what I like and what it digests with no issues.

edit on 28-11-2014 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
wow there is some really scary advice in this thread. i can barely handle even reading this forum but some at least are on the right track

you would be an absolute idiot if you didn't buy a glock as your first gun. i'd suggest a glock 19
don't bother with .40
its not about how it feels in your hand, or how comfortable it is - that is bs reasoning.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
thanks for the info everyone.
looks like in general, glocks are favored.

as far as gander mountain, i had no intention of buying from them. i only linked from that site because i wanted to show the guns i have been thinking about and they had pages to look through.

i went there yesterday only cause they were open and i wanted to look in person and scope out the safes.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hi and thank you for your post.

If you look at the statistics (google hand gun stopping power) you'll see that caliber doesn't matter. Most defensive gun fights follow the rule of 3. Happens within 3 feet, lasts 3 seconds and 3 shots are fired. Most people when shot react like "OMG I've been shot" and stop their aggressive behavior. Of course there's the armchair warriors that will pipe in and say "BS - I read on the internet that drug crazed felons will kill you even if shot 20 times!". That may be true occasionally, but isn't probable.

So what does this mean? You don't have to be necessarily a good shot. You're shooting a target center mass (2ft x 2ft) at 3 feet. I mean really, if the gun's out and pointed in the general area of the assailant, you'll score a hit. But this is where it get's tricky. Most people go to the range (armchair warriors again) and don't train on drawing their weapons from concealment. You should train to draw your weapon and fire 2-3 shots at the assailant within 2-3 seconds. It's not easy. Training is simply repetition. Training creates muscle memory which is what you want in a stress fire situation. Why? Because your hands will turn into flippers, you lose fine motor control. You become tunnel visioned. And you'll be scared. Maybe to the point of pissing yourself. All the while saying this can't be happening.

If you have practiced drawing and firing to get that muscle memory, maybe you'll survive the encounter. Or maybe you're dead. If you're accosted, there's a 50/50 chance you'll be injured or killed. Once you draw, it's closer to 100%. Why? Because in the assailant's mind it's not a robbery anymore, it's self defense.

So what's all this have to do with handgun selection and caliber? Everything. Pick what you can draw from concealment and fire 3 times while hitting a 2ft x 2ft target in 2-3 seconds. As far as .40? I started with that and got rid of it after I became an NRA certified pistol instructor and practiced. Practiced a lot. .40 is expensive and snappy (recoil wise). More expensive than 9mm. 9mm is what I shoot. In the summer, a S&W shield is pretty awesome. All the other times? a Glock 19. It has 32 parts, and I've trained with it, a lot. That's my go to gun. I have other's (all in 9mm), but that Glock is what I trust and know it very well.

So, go to a range, try different ones on for size and buy what feels best to you. That includes caliber. Then practice, practice, practice.

Also, about safeties? everything mechanical fails. Glock has 3 integrated safeties into the trigger. The S&W shield has a mechanical safety, I leave it off. Why? as I said in an encounter you'll forget to take the safety off and you'll be killed or suffer grave bodily injury. Instead, always leave the weapon holstered and follow the 4 rules of gun safety. 1. Every gun is loaded. 2. Only point the gun at what you want to destroy. 3. Keep your finger off the trigger! 4. Know what's beyond your target (don't want to shoot innocents). Your safety is between your ears.

Hope this helped.
edit on 28-11-2014 by ArcAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ArcAngel

very helpful. thank you
i think i landed on one and i am getting ready to go buy it now..
ill post about it when i get back with it if i actually buy it

i dont want to post it now cause i know some people will tell me the price is not right or that the brand sucks and i sont want to start second guessing my decision.
the price seems right to me.
h handled it at the store and i like the way it feels in my hand...

am i paying too much? maybe
will people think its a #ty gun? probably

the guy at the shop seems cool and seemed like a pretty straight dude so i think im going to go for it...

be back

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You have stumbled upon the truth without knowing it

A things value is what you are willing to pay for it LoL

I probably overpaid for my Springfield Armory Micro-Compact .45 Loaded edition. But I wouldn't trade it for five Kimbers. I feels right, I have fired it enough that it is like part of my hand, I can take it apart and assemble it blindfolded, and with 230 grain hollow points "the rounds go in the size of a dime and come out the size of a cash register" (or so Mickey Spillane said).

I hope you are happy with the purchase (if you made one). However, I hope you take the other advice to heart. Get certified training as soon as possible. Practice, practice, practice. Safety is and should always be paramount in your mind now.

(edit - OCD moment - +P is "pressure" not power. It means a slightly smaller bullet and more powder in a round for a higher velocity ammunition. More uummph is correct and more power is correct as well. But, The +P actually stands for "pressure")

edit on 28-11-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
so i bought a sccy cpx-2

www.sccy.com...

paid $246..got the pistol, two 10 round mags, and the trigger lock...
i like it. it feels very comfortable in my hand. it weighs 15 ounces.
bought a box of 9mm luger rounds for it.
probably going to go to the range tomorrow.

im going to call on monday about taking the ccw classes. im not positive that i want to carry but i want to go through the class either way...
i dont think it could hurt...then if i decide to carry i can
if i decide not too. big deal. im out a few bucks

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Pretty much any Glock will be a good, reliable weapon. They are also very accurate as a rule. That said, my Mom owned a model 23 when she was still around, and I loved it. Comfortable to hold, and enough power to make it worthwhile. The 21 is also nice, at .45 caliber. I haven't tried the other models myself. How much stopping power you want is a key factor, and how the gun feels in YOUR hand as well. You want one that is comfortable to you, and much of that is personal. How you plan to carry it can be a factor, also. If concealed, one that is smaller might be better. If open carry, size is less of a factor.

Not an "expert", but know a bit.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
You want one that is comfortable to you, and much of that is personal. How you plan to carry it can be a factor, also. If concealed, one that is smaller might be better. If open carry, size is less of a factor.

one of the reasons i went with this size...
i have not decided that i will carry but i am leaning towards it.

i downloaded the ccw publication from the attorney general site and have been going through it. i wanted to get familiar with my laws and rights from the correct source. not that i dont trust the people here, i cant take any chances.

im going to call monday about the classes.
i know its a 12 hour class and it cost $100
10 hours of class and 2 hours of range time

im going to take the class either way but if i decide i want to carry that will be out of the way.
then i just have to go to the station, get printed, and pay the fee for the check.

the pistol i bought is a comfortable size for me...
i like it

i know its not a high end glock but i think it will serve its purpose

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
is this something worth looking into or is it just movie bull #?

www.armalaser.com...

my box came with a card about this product

i like this holster as well for if i decide to carry it

www.armalaser.com...#

3rd down. owb

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I have fired a few so I would NOT recommend anything taurus that wasnt a revolver. They don't function well and are inaccurate (all from my experience). I personally do not like the feel of a glock, it just doesnt fit my hand right. For a first time handgun owner I would recommend something in a 9mm. .40 is a great cartridge and I love to shoot mine but with a 9mm you will have less recoil and feel more confident with it. When in a firefight practice and confidence do much more than rounds do. My EDC is a Ruger SR9c. It has a full width grip for somebody with big hands but it is compact for carry. When I decide to go open carry it had a 17 round mag with a pinky extender to make it a full size. I have over 4000 rounds through mine with 1 jam to date (one of my first handloads). Make sure you go to the safety class and learn everything possible. I have never had a ND in my life and that is only because I am meticulous with safety...and lucky.

I recommend All rugers, sigs, and berettas as auto pistols. I also recommend CZs, Springfields and Colts. For revolvers Ruger, S&W and taurus are pretty good. Keep the caliber as large as you are comfortable and confident with.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So.. I angered my wife today by picking up a Smith and Wesson M&P9 Full size duty pistol. 17 rounds, ambidextrous controls, changeable backstraps, easy take down, and superb reliability.

I recommend it.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Well, comfortable for you is a big part of any purchase. More important than some other factors, I think. Glocks aren't cheap, either. I'd like a nice collection, but they cost SO much. A good shotgun, I'd love to pick up, but haven't been able yet.

The class is a good plan, and looking up all of the laws as well. Those can change FAST, and it's better to know what is and isn't legal. Not a bad price on the class, either. It gives you a chance to become familiar with the weapon, too.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Just to throw my 2 Cents in; please take no offense, I'm just trying to be helpful. The Glock 23 is probably the best bet for concealed carry; I'm looking to get one, but I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet. I have small hands, but my friends with big hands love it. I'm not a technical kind of person, but from what I've read, Glock has incorporated a recoil spring in their firearms which reduces "barrel whip" which is a real problem with a lot of the smaller automatics. I didn't like the Beretta at all and I'm unsure of the quality control on the Taurus.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, my "every day", "around the neighborhood", (I live in the country), Concealed Carry weapon is a Ruger SP101, hammer-less, with 21/4 inch barrel. I use a fanny pack holster to conceal carry. Its a 5 shot, .357 Magnum that also takes .38 and .38+P. For defense, I use the .38+P Black Talon ammo. Getting used to a "snubby" is a real challenge, but the Ruger SP101 makes it a lot easier to practice, because...like a lot of the Ruger products, it's counter weighted on the barrel end to reduce recoil.
When I go to the "big city"; or hiking or hunting, my concealed carry weapon is a Ruger GP 100, six shot, .357 magnum, (.38 and .38 +P), 4 inch barrel. That weapon requires a shoulder holster for conceal, and I have two rigs, one leather, (for dress) and one "tactical" black web for hot and humid conditions (hiking/hunting).

Question would be, and I'm sure a lot of people will want to disagree with me, which is fine...why "Wheel Guns"? Answer is simple...reliability. I put a bullet in a Ruger GP 100 or SP101, and I know...its gonna fire. I have spent hundreds of hours on shooting ranges practicing with my firearms and I can't tell you the number of times I've watched disappointed owners of automatics whose guns have jammed up. I watch them pound their weapons trying to dislodge bullets and free up the mechanisms; all to no avail. Automatics are great weapons...if you diligently clean them twice after every use. But even then...after cleaning one, you have to fire a round to be sure its working.

Its a personal preference I guess.

Before you buy...rent and shoot and get a feel for the different firearms available. Most of all, once you've found your "mate", practice, practice, practice.

As a last note, I'd let you know, that for #hits and giggles, I like to practice at the range with a "single action" .22, revolver, ten shot. Not something you would want for self defense, but...its a lot of fun and one of the strangest things is that the .22 is the weapon of choice of a lot of snipers and assassins. I am not a sniper, nor am I an assassin, but there are also a lot of competitions for that weapon. Fun!

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I took some pictures of the 500. Its a 50 calibur Magnum, but cant figure out how to post them. The gun you bought seems like a good value. I just wanted to show you something that outguns everything on this post. Even my Glock buddys boast about when they shot my 500. Its an amazing piece of work. One shot to a Grizzly is all it takes. A gangster with a bullet proof vest is done, after a shot to the torso. Hes likely dead on the spot. There are no guns mentioned on this thread that can match the power of a S&W 500. Hands down. Im an old school scooter tramp, and appreciate the most power

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Howdy I'm new here. This is the first post that caught my eye. Let me congratulate you on the SCCY you picked up. Never shot this gun, but I've researched it a bit, and it looks promising. Will probably be my next handgun purchase. I have read all the replies and I have to say I'm not surprised by the lack of reliable information put forth. One of the things that bugged me that someone said is that it doesn't matter how a gun feels. Another thing bugged me was the recommendation for a Smith and Wessom .500. Silly.

A little info on me. I'm retired Army M.P., ex l.e. and have nearly 20 years of experience professionally carrying a firearm. During that time I have shot or owned all the major handguns. I enjoy shooting.

By the way, glock models are NOT determined by how many rounds fit in the magazine. I literally cringed when I read that.

The Beretta 96 is NOT the military designation for the sidearm. The 96 is the .40 calber Beretta. The M9 is the one the soldiers carry.

Everybody wants to chime in on what someone else should buy when it comes to guns. Problem is, there is so much misinormation out there about guns. Some advice: if there is a gun you are interested in purchasing, find a forum dedicated to that gun or family of guns, and read what actual owners are saying about it. It has been my experience that is the way to find out about a particular gun if I have no actual experience. When you ask what kind of gun to buy, you are asking for bad info. For example: asking about a 1911 will result in a whole lot of people telling you how they've never had a bit of trouble with their 1911 over millions of rounds. Going to a 1911 forum and just reading posts about problems associated with the platform will result in a totally different answer. As people we can be conceited and insecure at the same time. We spend a bunch of hard earned money on a pistol and we want people to think we made the best decision. I am willing to admit that I've made a bunch of mistakes when it comes to pistols. But in doing so, I've gained a lot of experience with different pistols. A double edged sword. There is so much good info out there on guns. But ultimately the decision is yours.

May I ask which state you live in? Are there shooting ranges with rentals? If there are, handle a bunch, shoot a bunch. Usually every area has a shooting community. Find them and make friends. Go shooting with them. Enjoy yourself.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join