It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

might buy 2 pistols tomorrow...kind of have it narrowed down...expert opinions please?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I personally like revolvers better, but there is something to be said for the high capacity of the 9mm. Different situations make the choice for me. My favorite guns are 1911 45's, though if they are not in good working order they have been known to have failures. I have a Taurus Stainless 1911 now that I have put a LOT of rounds through with 0 failures.

Oh and yes, all .357 revolvers can chamber the lighter .38's no problem. Shooting a lot of .38 rounds through a .357 can result in a lead build up where the longer .357 rounds would normally seat and that can be a real pain in the you know what to get out of there. Nothing a little elbow grease and a good bore brush won't solve, but still.

I like the .38 snubby for a good pocket gun. The Airweights are very comfortable to carry, but as someone above said they have a very snappy recoil. Nothing too unmanageable, but something to consider if that bothers you. Lots of practice and you won't even notice it anymore. Whatever you buy, practice practice practice for a while with your concealed carry piece until you are proficient in any position.

I have a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard with a built in lasersight that I carry if the weather is too warm for a jacket or if I am going somewhere that my more bulky 45 is not practical. The BOdyguard has a heavy trigger pull but shoots very straight once you get used to it.

edit on 27-11-2014 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i dont want to start another thread but i would like some help on something please.

im seeing a lot of terms/lingo that i really dont understand.
just looked at another .38 but it was a .38+p
i dont know what that is.
i have seen .45 and .45acp

is there a link to a database or glossary of these terms so i can get familiar with them so i dont have to ask these questions 10 times a day?

thanks much

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A couple of things, first off silencers are not illegal you can buy them at gun stores but it might take 6 months before you can get it because the ATF runs all the background checks personally for them.

If you are going to buy 2 pistols I would recommend one of them be a Smith and Wesson M and P .22. Especially if it's your first pistol. The ammo is cheap but it operates like any other pistol so it's great to train with and fun to shoot, also with very small recoil it's easier to be more accurate while starting out.

I'm not sure who mentioned it but the suppressor the Navy uses (the hush puppy) kinda sucks, it operates with wipes instead of baffels, also remember to pick up some subsonic rounds to use with a suppressor, cap gun quiet.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Like many have already said YOU need to select the weapon that suits you
However
Caliber, many out there with varying performances, 9mm tends to win out right due to its abundance, all nice having custom made cut down .338 but when push comes to shove you can't shoot what you can't always get

Wheel guns not really my thing so I can't help there
But automatics
Glock or Sig as has already been suggested extremely reliable and well made
But to decide youll want to get a feel for em both
The Sig is bigger in the hand due to the magazine stack, with a nice balance, no safety catch but a de-cocking lever to return the hammer to the forward position and double the trigger pressure for that first round ( 8lbs of trigger pressure in decocked 4lbs with hammer drawn ) if memory serves) but a great pistol
The 226 is the one but really any from the 22- range

Glock hmmm well are you going polymer or full metal?
The glock is a little smaller in the hand ( I'm 8" wrist to tip) but due to the commonly used polymer it's much lighter BUT as a marksman this puts the balance out of the weapon system and makes it too nose hevey for some
With a magazine fitted it balences better BUT you'll find as you get through your mag the point of balance shifts and can effect your fall of shot
Usually I see from the troops, tight groups to start then slowly spreading, dipping is very apparent though not through firer error , more from that point of balance

Again no safety but same as the Sig a decocking lever minus a hammer
The flocks did have a problem with barrels shattering a few years back, May have been a dodgy batch? Try to get a reinforced return rod and spring (may come as standard now)
And if your gonna be speed reloading(cqb), the standard popymer mags don't like being dropped too much

Despite this a great weapon and highly recommended

Disclaimer
not a collector, not a sports shooter, not a weaponsmith, Hunter and hunted

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

.357mag will chamber the lower .38, .38+P, and .357 mag ammunition ( if there is one out there that will not I have never encountered it)

The .38 will not chamber anything above it's rated specs (not all .38 will fire a .38+P and none fire a .357)

+++be very careful with what you buy and attempt to shoot please! I am only try to offer alternatives and by no means would I want someone to hurt themselves as a result of something I wrote. There is a lot of ammunition out there that sounds similar .45acp/.45auto/.45GAP, .357sig/.357mag. Not knowing the difference could ruin your gun or could end your life (worst case). +++

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

.357mag will chamber the lower .38, .38+P, and .357 mag ammunition ( if there is one out there that will not I have never encountered it)

The .38 will not chamber anything above it's rated specs (not all .38 will fire a .38+P and none fire a .357)

+++be very careful with what you buy and attempt to shoot please! I am only try to offer alternatives and by no means would I want someone to hurt themselves as a result of something I wrote. There is a lot of ammunition out there that sounds similar .45acp/.45auto/.45GAP, .357sig/.357mag. Not knowing the difference could ruin your gun or could end your life (worst case). +++

is there a glossary or database i can read through to get familiar with these.
like the difference between a .45acp and .45 auto

i dont know what the difference is but i would like to.

any help on that would be great...thanks to anyone

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I seem to remember there being a few weapon Pam's available on Apple's app store , you may get some luck there
But www.google.co.uk...=en-GB&q=small+arms+ammunition+pam
Just a search for small arms ammunition Pam (pamphlet)
Gets this mainly US Pam's so hopefully there's someone that can narrow it down a reply to: Grovit

Looks like I linked that wrong, still just Google small arms ammunition Pam and you can have hours of ......Pam fun
Many older Pam's are online now if you want any terminology tips for future searches just holler

edit on 27-11-2014 by Neocrusader because: fat thumbs

edit on 27-11-2014 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Do not buy the taurus they are crap. They are cheaply made and just plain bad. Glock......Beretta......S&W MP are the best handguns you can buy. I forgot to mention Kimber and Springfield Armory.

9mm and 45acp are the best calibers I have found.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

First.

As someone who has put lots of rounds through a Taurus 24/7 I highly recommend against them. Their reliability is not very good.

I carried a Beretta M9 which is a 96A1 with the military designation. Great gun..Will go boom every time..

The problem i have with it is this:
1 The open slide design allows dirt and sand to enter the action.
2 the trigger reset spring and bar are not a reliable design and have seen those go missing in some of the pistols in Afghanistan. Not a situation you want to be in.

Almost anything by Glock will be mostly reliable. But for less money you can get better weapons. Look into Steyr-Mannlicher Arms company also out of Austria. Excellent weapons and they have a long, long, long, history of fine weapons craftsmanship.

Lastly I want to point this out:

Since you don't have a lot of experience in firearms please do yourself the favor of buying ONE good weapon and a CRAP LOAD of ammo to train with extensively. Doesn't matter how many guns you own. It matters that you can use the ones you have effectively and safely. So..You have a shot gun. You're going to buy a pistol. Go on ammoseek.com and buy a thousand rounds of the ammo caliber of your choice and go practice.
edit on pThu, 27 Nov 2014 18:49:01 -0600201427America/Chicago2014-11-27T18:49:01-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Might I also recommend you stay away from Gander Mountain...They WAY overcharge. Even for used guns.

A used Mosin Nagant rifle should not cost 250 bucks. It should cost more like 90.

A used Canik TP9 should not cost 50 bucks more than a new one does. It's a 300 dollar gun new.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Buying a shotgun or rifle for the house makes sense. Two handguns seems more like splurging and/or just being gun happy. Been there.
what is the primary purpose of the handguns? Is that the proper firearm for that purpose.

Shotgun is great defense...590a1

Rifle for hunting...so many to chose from.
Handgun for concealed carry...Springfield XDM .45 ACP (compact)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Buying a shotgun or rifle for the house makes sense. Two handguns seems more like splurging and/or just being gun happy. Been there.
what is the primary purpose of the handguns? Is that the proper firearm for that purpose.

Shotgun is great defense...590a1

Rifle for hunting...so many to chose from.
Handgun for concealed carry...Springfield XDM .45 ACP (compact)

maybe a bit of both really.
im sitting on a piece of money...just treating myself to some things

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Grovit:

I would suggest that you first look at what you hope to accomplish first. Meaning; Is this gun going to be a carry gun which you intend to keep with you at all times? Or is the gun going to be purely for home defense?

If you plan on getting a concealed weapons permit and carrying: Size is definitely a consideration, as is weight. Typically smaller guns and lighter guns are easier to carry throughout the year. Thus making you more likely to carry it daily comfortably.

Home defense guns really can cover the whole spectrum size wise as you don't have to worry about concealment garments etc..

Next you need to look at your budget and pick a price point in which you feel comfortable. No matter what gun you choose, you will need to get several accessories for it such as a holster, magazines, magazine carriers among the most important. So the cost of the gun itself is a base point, you need to allow a budget for accessories.

That being said: of the guns you listed I am partial to the compact framed glocks. I would say a glock 19 or 23 would be a great choice for all around carry/home defense. In that frame size they are small enough to carry in almost any attire and large enough to never feel outgunned in a home defense type of setting. They have good magazine capacity and are very reliable. Even better; they don't break the bank and free up cash for those accessories you'll be needing.

I am a NRA Certified Instructor, Nationally Certified Range Officer, Nationally ranked competitor in several shooting disciplines and I trust my life to a glock. They are easy to work on, easy to maintain, very reliable and they are tons of aftermarket products for them. For me it just makes sense.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

So many opinions and preferences....you'll be on your own...just personal preference....

I am licensed carry...everyday its a 45acp subcompact 10+1 rounds. Also 9mm mid size 17 round.

Both with hollow points and both Glocks.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: hogstooth

No they dont mean size or style. Glock 17 means 17 rounds and was creator of the 17ths seventeen model released. Nothing to do with sizes etc...26...30. Nothing.

I have them......

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LightCraft

Glock 30-45acp and Glock 17-9mm carrier.

Am in agreement with you here.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Grovit,
You have been given some excellent advice! As almost everyone has said, YOU have to pick your gun.

On that note...My husband has a Glock 26. He bought a clip extension so that the smaller gun fit his hands better. He will carry nothing but a Glock. I however will not carry one, I do not like not having a safety. I have a Walther P22 and a S&W LSP 380. The LCP is my favorite because it is small enough to carry without me even feeling it. I have a smaller build so I like the smaller guns that fit my frame better. (Unless we are headed to the gun range).

My only advice.....don't buy anything without trying it first. If you know someone see if you can go to the range with them. Try different types of guns. Everyone has a feel that they like. Find the one that feels best to you. Good luck to you!!!

edit on 11/27/1414 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I personally use a SIG P250, it's a modular pistol meaning you can easily change the caliber of the gun by changing the barrel and magazine. you can go from something like a 9mm all the way to 357 , just by removing the slide (the top part of your firearm) and switching out the barrel, (and the magazine of course.) So for instance if you were used to shooting a 9mm, and one day decided you wanted to try something higher caliber with more stopping power like a .40 cal it would be a lot cheaper than buying another pistol. I think the barrels are around $100 versus buying a new gun. Also they are super easy to clean, and my gun has never jammed on me. (knock on wood) hope this helps.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I love stainless wheel guns. I have 3 Smith and Wessons. The one I like the most is a 357 Ive had for over 25 years. I think its a model 686. I also have a 22, which is cool, and a S&W 500. That one is a 50 Calibur Magnum. Dont get one of those. Its way too powerful and way too heavy. I get pulled muscles in my hand when I fire the 500, and you need to be able to control it. The 357 is my go to gun for reliability and accuracy. It never fails. It is nice and powerful, and will take 38 specials for target practice. I also have a 1911 that is real sweet. Its a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry 2, with a Match grade bull barrel and Trutium sites. Its a super small concealable 45 that barks loud and has some serious knock down power. Alot of my buddies have plastic guns, the same that are being suggested on this thread. I dont care much for them. My buddies always want to shoot my guns when we go to the range.There ios a famous quote somewhere on the net about wheel guns. Something about no springs to fail, and they are always ready. I keep mine in a safe next to the bed, loaded. I open the safe at night, and everything is right there and ready to rock. I suggest the S and W 357 in stainless for You. Knock down power. Penetration power. It will be a family heirloom to pass of to future generations. Good luck!

PS as for the shotgun, I use a Remmington HD Express 12 gauge. I also load up with Magnum 00 buck shells, and Magnum slugs. They both kick real good, so hang onto that muthu.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join