It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Incredibly Powerful Stories That Will Forever Change How You See Animals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
((Mods: Sorry if someone already made a thread about this, it didn't turn up in the search. ))

I'll share with you some of my favorites. The number represents the number on the list (so you can find it on the site)

1. Alex was an African gray parrot. He had a loving relationship with his human, Irene Pepperberg. In 2007, when he died, his last words to Pepperberg were, "You be good. I love you."

2. Tommy the dog went to mass with his human when she was alive, but now he comes down and sits quietly during mass even after her death. The story of Tommy finding comfort in church was so powerful, it even attracted the attention of CNN. Your dog may not be your whole world, but you are your dog's whole world.

4. Diver Yang Yun thought she was going to die when her legs were paralyzed during a free diving contest. When she tried to kick to the surface, she found her legs crippled from the water's arctic temperature. Mila, a Beluga whale, saw her struggling and used her nose to guide Yun to safety.

6. When author and legendary conservationist Lawrence Anthony died, these South African elephants marched for 2 hours through the Zululand bush until they reached his house. These elephants had been saved by Anthony years ago, after they were deemed violent and sentenced to death. Anthony rehabilitated the animals and gave them a chance at a better life.

9. These (5) children were playing with George, a Jack Russell Terrier, when Pit Bulls attacked. He tried to protect the kids by barking and rushing at the other dogs, but they started biting him on the head and back. His intervention is what saved the children, though he later died due to his injuries. He was posthumously awarded a medal for his bravery.

15. The beautiful reunion of these two abused circus elephants after 25 years apart.

19. When Dorothy the chimp died of heart failure at the Chimpanzee Rescue Center in Cameroon, her fellow chimps hugged each other and watched solemnly as their friend was laid to rest.

25 Incredibly Powerful Stories That Will Forever Change How You See Animals

I'm back after taking a break from ATS. I thought what better way to make a first come back post than a nice heartwarming thread. There is so much fear & hate on ATS right now so I thought we could use a break from the madness.

Make sure you check out the link for all the pictures that go with each story. I only shared a couple.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yeah. Just like the guy recently busy taking pictures of a black bear. That busy he didn't realise the bear was stalking him. Killed him and dragged him off. That really changed him forever. Respect for the man family.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Thank you for sharing these Kip

Welcome back to ATS
Hope you'll be able to make time for threads from time to time. I know you are busy.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

That's a case of someone not understanding animal behavior. As someone who's lived in black bear country for nearly a decade (and recently moved back) the trick with them is to give them a lot of space and realize the difference between curiosity for the heck of it and curiosity for the "meal" of it. I have to admit though, they are the calmest of bear species (in the opinion of many locals), they're very shy and they're on edge. As much as a leaf falling can make them perk up and consider danger.

I feel bad for that kid but if you want to take pics of a black bear make sure you're in a locked house or from a safe distance (and have immediate access to a running vehicle or a securely locked home). If people think they look cute they should run into a mother bear with four active cubs running around her feet

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

That's unfortunate to hear and I hate to make the assumption that he was an amateur but that's what it sounds like to me. Safety precautions should have been in place if he was a professional or even used to taking pictures of wild life, after all, they don't call it Wild life for nothing. If you are taking pictures of a bear, how do you not notice it stalking you?

I don't know why you felt the need to bring up something depressing when I was trying to boost the mood.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

You are spot on, nice to hear something positive and heartwarming. ☺

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Fizo:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Couldn't find a source with a quick search, but I specifically remember reading of a sugar (cane?) farmer who shot a baboon. The local baboons carried the dead one off in a funeral ritual style. The farmer was found a few days later, his heart literally ripped out, presumably by the baboons. I wish I could find a source. If I remember right, I read it in the "news of the world," a small, weekly segment in the Tacoma news tribne (just the news tribune, now), and I'm pretty sure it was syndicated in other papers, at the same time.
edit on 11/27/2014 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Yeah. Just like the guy recently busy taking pictures of a black bear. That busy he didn't realise the bear was stalking him. Killed him and dragged him off. That really changed him forever. Respect for the man family.

WTF did that have to do with this thread?
The OP is trying to give everyone something happy to look at for 5 min and you chime in with something totally off topic and depressing.
For an encore you gonna kick a puppy or take a crap in the punch bowl?

To the OP, very touching. Animals never cease to amaze.
I find it Ironic that the traits we like to call "human kindness" and "selflessness" are more often found in Animals than in humans

S&F

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Watch the documentary The Nature of Things: Babies: Born to be Good.

It shows how Psychologists have made breakthroughs in our understanding of what babies might be thinking, and what they could possibly know about justice, helping, honesty, fairness. Even before they learn to talk. It was a really good documentary.

Kindness might be a survival tactic we learned back in our mammal state when we lived in herds. I can't say for sure though.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I don't care what anyone says ,animals know . Max our cocker spaniel of a few years ago was diagnosed with cancer ,the vet said it would be best to put him down straight away . I selfishly said i would bring him back the next day but wanted everyone to say goodbye at home .The next day my wife woke me up to say he had passed away, but before he did he walked into every room and looked at my kids one by one before walking back to look at me and passing away . I swore i would never get a dog again as this cut me up so much . But now we have another cocker that looks like Max , his name is Buddy and he has big paws to fill but we love him .

Thanks for letting me cry . Its all out now .
edit on 28-11-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Animals are highly intelligent and we think they aren't simply because we can't understand them. Do we think someone who speaks another language than us is unintelligent?

It's never easy loosing an awesome pet.

My first dog experience was with an Alaskan Malamute crossed with a wolf. His name was Sage and he belonged to my Mom's sister. Sage was a very large dog & looked more like a wolf than a dog so people were afraid of him (mailman & meter-man) but Sage was one of the biggest saps ever. Now because of how big Sage was & how active of a dog that breed is, my Aunty had to have a property of a certain size so it would have a big yard for Sage. My Aunt had to move one time but couldn't find a place big enough for Sage so for almost a year my family got to take care of Sage. I was 5yrs old and Sage was the best dog ever!! My sister and I loved to play with him and he loved to play with us. In the winter time my Dad tied our sled to the back of Sage & he would take us to school every morning. Sage was even able to tell when my Mom was pregnant with my younger sister before my Mom knew. It was extremely sad the day my Aunty called us to say she had to put Sage down, he was too old & he was in pain.

My best childhood memories (my childhood ended at age 7) have to do with Sage, so much so that my first tattoo I have his name tattooed on my right shoulder blade.

Even the two dogs I had a couple years later were lame. We got them as puppies and the only thing we could teach them was to sit & lay down. They never wanted to learn how to fetch, run around with us kids or any fun stuff, they just wanted to be pet.

When my fiance & I started seeing each other, I was introduced to the other super amazing dog that's been apart of my life. Meg is an English Setter so she's highly intelligent. She just absolutely loves me and always gets insanely excited when I come over to see her (not often as she lives with my fiances parents) This summer I got to house sit for my fiances folks while my fiance was out fighting forest fires so it was just Meg & I. The first day I got there, she literally jumped in the air when I finished putting my bags down and told her I could now pet her. She's such a gem & I'm going to miss her when she passes away.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I'm glad you were able to grieve for your loss. Sometimes we don't grieve right away.

Animals & insects are intelligent but we dismiss their intelligence because it is not the same as ours.

It reminds me of this quote:
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believe that it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This is what I think of often. It's a different form of intelligence. But it doesn't mean there's no awareness on their part. I agree completely

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I watched some cool shows and documentaries on Oasis that has me absolutely convinced that animals and even insects are intelligent.

There was this one bug, I wish I could remember it's name, and it had several different subspecies of this one type of bug. Yet despite the differences, they all communicated together. They had several different things they would communicate and if it was an alert that a predator was near by, everyone communicates loudly. There is this ant that has a symbiotic relationship with the bug and when it hears the predator alert, it comes and kills the predator. It was really cool to watch, subspecies living in close proximity, working together despite their differences.

top topics

join