It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington travel advice needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There are some great deals from Australia to Las Vegas at the moment so Im looking at going there,I have however always wanted to see the Smithsonian in Washington so Im asking is it worth the side trip,how long do I need to see it and if there is anything else in that area worth seeing.Thanks.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Howdie...

The museums are very much worth the trip, but I would never consider it a side trip from vegas.........you would want a full day at the least for each museum........make it a trip in itself. If you really want to experience it.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pointr97

Just had a look there is 19 museums so ill have to stay a few days

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

I've been working in D.C. for two years, and there are tons of great things to check out.

The Smithsonian is awesome, you should get there 1st thing when it opens and spend the day there. You could easily spend a whole week lost in that building depending on your interests.

Also there are lots of old Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields you can visit if you're interested in that. The Air and Space Museum is also very cool. The National Museum of Natural History, The National Art gallery. Plus lots of awesome restaurants, whatever your preference is.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
www.mnh.si.edu...

If you cant make it, heres a nice virtual tour

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Thanks most of the interesting stuff seems to be in the National mall area hopefully I can find a Holiday inn or something not too expensive in the area

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Thanks I will have a look,Ive seen the British museum and Ive been told the only thing that holds a candle to it is the Smithsonian so this is definately a bucket list item.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Vegas to DC isn't just a little 'side trip'. It's all the way across the country. DC would have to be a trip on it's own. It would take you 10 to 12 days to see everything in the area.

Day 1 - Walk the National Mall and see the monuments, (outside) White House,
Day 2 - (EARLY AM) Tour of the Capitol. National Archives. Eat at Hard Rock.
Day 3 - Natural History Smithsonian. Full day.
Day 4 - American Indian Smithsonian. Space Smithsonian. Each 1/2 day.
Day 5 - Library of Congress AM. American History Smithsonian PM
Day 5 - Spy Museum, Fords Theatre, Peterson House. NHL game in evening.
Day 6 - National Zoo AM, Arlington Cemetery Afternoon. JFK Center Performing Arts PM
Day 7 - Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. Franciscan Holyland. National Cathedral.
Day 8 - Mount Vernon and Georgetown
Day 9- Gettysburg
Day 10 - Baltimore Inner Harbor. Baseball/Football game?
Day 11 - 2 1/2 hours north to Philly - Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House.
Day 12 - Philly Art Museum 1/2 Day - Reading Terminal Mkt - Hard Rock NHL evening.

There are boat rides on the Potomac river as well as 'Ride the Duck' rides in B'More and Philly. Those are excellent.

edit on 11/27/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Thanks Ill definately take days 1 to 6 into account beyond that though looks like a hire car which might just be a bridge too far for the budget

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

As for logistics, you won't really want a car for most of your downtown trips, so look to book a hotel convenient to the Metro line for your basic transportation. Can probably find somewhat cheaper rooms in Northern Virginia than downtown, like in Arlington or Crystal City areas, and take the Metro downtown.

www.wmata.com...

For flying in, Reagan and a bit further out, Dulles airports are most convenient, but if you want some money, you can fly into BWI airport - fares are usually much cheaper there, but then you have to face transport from there to your final destination - can take an Amtrak train to DC, or there are other options - but which may well eat up any savings on airfare. Note that you might consider one of the "Priceline" deals from the airports rental cars for weekends - you can usually rent a car for $10/day or less on a weekend.

www.amtrak.com...
www.priceline.com...

If you're into aircraft, the Udvar-Hazy center adjacent to Dulles airport has a nice collection of civil, military, and space vehicles, from the Concorde, an SR-71, the Enola Gay, and the Discovery space shuttle - airandspace.si.edu... - if you fly out of Dulles, and have some time to kill, can catch a shuttle over.

I guess that's the hard bit - what interests you makes it difficult to know what to recommend, other than grab a guidebook or visit someplace like Virtual Tourist and pick what interests you.

top topics

join