It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dairy Farmers Slaughtering Cows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A dairy farmer's trade group is expanding a program where the price of milk is kept at higher levels by providing incentives to farmers to slaughter some of their herd, and reducing the available supply. This program is described as being "popular" with farmers since it increases their profits, with one farmer quoted reporting a 10-fold return on his investment. The goal at this point is to reduce the milk supply as much as 931 million pounds this year, up from 600 million pounds the program reduced the supply by last year.

start.earthlink.net
Greg Jans, a dairy farmer in Grove City, Minn., about 90 miles west of Minneapolis, said he sold 100 of his 320 cows for slaughter in the program's first year. He received about $80,000 from the dairy group in exchange for reducing his herd size. He used the money to upgrade his farm operations.

Jans said he was not concerned that higher milk prices would drive away customers.

"I don't think that will ever happen," Jans said. "We'll never get to a point where our product gets too expensive."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

First of all, milk prices have gone through the roof over the past year as it is. This is being done specifically to assure they do not go back down again to resonable levels. I am finding it difficult to swallow the attitude here that the consumer will pay any price for their product so they are justified in driving up the prices by flat out manipulation of the market.

Meanwhile, they could probably just cut production by stopping the use of growth hormones, providing us with a better product for the price we are paying. I have always believed that it is important to keep the farmers in business, even if that includes subsidies, but I find myself now losing support for at least this group.

I think we are being taken for a ride on this one. Personally, I wish there was a way, if I have to pay this much for milk, that the milk was not the adulterated garbage we have been consuming for years. I'll pay more for their milk if they give me a better product, but not soley to assure a 10-fold profit for them which stikes me a just plain disregard and greed.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Just about every market that exists is manipulated in some way. This method is particularly overt, but most markets are manipulated more subtley.

One thing you might notice from time to time is an intentional manipulation of one market by inciting changes in another, only indirectly related market.

The economy that we're working under is simply based on the principle that people are going to buy what they need and want, so long as they have the money to do so. We don't teach our children to manage their money effectively just to ensure that they'll spend it when they get some.

The aim and goal of the government as well as the market players (products, services, food, shelter, energy), is to ensure that enough people have enough money to keep the core of the system intact, for their benefit. They certainly do not want us to become wealthy or educated, they simply need us to be entertained and somewhat heathy because of the products we buy. If we were allowed to be released from the constant information/entertainment bombardment that we endure, we might just have something to say about their practices. They want us to shut up. So long as we're happy, they will continue to milk us like cows.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I would like to know the name of the dairy farmer's trade group that is responsible for this. Any one know?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

Meanwhile, they could probably just cut production by stopping the use of growth hormones, providing us with a better product for the price we are paying.

That's a great idea.
It would be a perfect time to implement a ban of the hormones as they wouldn't be able to complain about it reducing production.

[edit on 12-12-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by magortis
I would like to know the name of the dairy farmer's trade group that is responsible for this. Any one know?

The National Milk Producers Federation.

I truly believe a lobby group should be established to push for ban of hormones if the price is being manipulated for price increases.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I see few people are aware of how bad the use of growth hormones on dairy cattle is.

On top of all this for some reason, after a third attempt yesterday to get the natural milk at our supermarket (which I have been drinking for 2 years), we inquired what was going on and the store said the distributor has not been able to get it. i wonder what the problem is?

I wish you could realistically boycott the industry, but no one would do it.

top topics

join