It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Utter Bizarreness of Time and the 4th Dimension

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Time is bizarre...

Here we are... living on a planet as human beings. A planet that has been around for hundreds of millions of years. A planet that will be around for hundreds of millions of years. A lot has happened in the past, and a lot will happen in the future. If healthy enough, a human being can live long enough to see their 100th birthday. 100 years might seem like a long time, but it is merely just a spark in the ongoing fire of time. Just one spark however, can ignite and start a whole new fire... a new way of doing things, a whole new realm of thought. Perhaps, no spark ever truly goes out at all. It just keeps the fire going...

Throughout our lifetime we gather so many different moments in time. Each moment is unique and will never happen the same way again. Once a moment in time happens, it will forever be something that existed... Or perhaps would the correct wording be, 'something that is always existing?'

So... the 4th dimension... What exactly is the 4th dimension? Is it time? Is it something incomprehensible? Is it something that humans have the potential of breaking into, or is the 4th dimension a layer that we're already wrapped up in?...

The concept of time being considered as the 4th dimension is intriguing. The theory of relativity comes into play here... Imagine a 4th dimensional being that is able to manipulate the third dimension/physical reality. Imagine that the being can alter Earth's timeline. While looking at the image below, if the string represented Earth's timeline, and the part of the string that is being held on the left represented say... the year 826, and the part of the string being held on the right represented the year 2291, and the physical interaction of each hand holding the string represented a manipulation/changing of Earth's timeline by the 4th dimensional being, then even though the two time manipulations are separated by 1,465 years, the being is doing the manipulations at the exact same time... from that being's perspective...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
What you say definitely makes sense, although I am not certain how that dimension would appear to a being living inside it. But I definitely know that the higher one goes in dimensions, the more information that is available to them. For instance, a 2 dimensional being cannot look up, and therefore would not know a 3 dimensional being was staring down at him. So moving from the 2nd to 3rd dimensions would give a being access to a completely new plane of existence, or a new direction. But we cannot really grasp what it would be like for us to move into a 4th spatial dimension, because only 3 exist. Do we know enough to say that another spatial dimension definitely does not exist, since we might be constrained by our 3 dimensional world? Or are we certain of only 3 spatial dimensions, meaning that a move into a higher, 4th dimension, would be presenting us more information in some other fashion, such as something dealing with time?

Think about it like this. A 2 dimensional world could be full of 2 dimensional scientists who are studying their world. They could be sure there are only 2 dimensions, because they cannot study any more than that. To them the third dimension might be time. So are we missing out on another spatial dimension simply because we do not experience it? Science is based on studying the world around us, and if we do not experience a 4th spatial dimension how can we study it? That is not even considering the time dimension, as you were talking about. Could a higher spatial dimension be composed of beings whom sometimes interact with our lower, 3 dimensional space, producing certain phenomena that we are not able to explain or understand? Certainly it makes sense, considering the 2d example. If a 3 dimensional being suddenly plopped down in front of a 2d being, it would appear to that 2d being that something materialized from nothing right in front of them. The 3d being would not look like it does in 3d, or rather it would look to be a cross section to the 2d being.

So if a higher dimensional being plopped itself in front of us 3d beings, we will not see it as it truly is, but will see it in some other manner. But we will not see a cross-sectional area like the 2d being, because we are dealing with higher dimensions. These ideas are not necessarily 100% true, but they very well could be going in the correct direction. And what if beings could exist in a dimension of time? Or what if there are 3 temporal dimensions, which follows since there are 3 spatial dimensions? The mathematics will work out, and can be used to explain the same physics that we currently have. There was an entire theory of everything built around this idea in the past, called Reciprocity, and there are some theoretical physicists who are working on it today, although only a few. They have been able to arrive at the same results for known phenomena, meaning that the theory is viable. It is a very interesting theory imo, even if it is incorrect, and I only mention it to illustrate that we have absolutely no clue what is truly going on. Even if we can explain the world around us, we can only study the world around us, without knowing what lies right outside our perception.
edit on 11/27/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nurelic

Think of "3D" like a maze, and we, are on tracks - we can navigate around, and change tracks, however, the maze is controlled by the technology that maintains the "3D" "prison". In "4D" the maze is susceptible to change, and it changes in random patterns, and if you are capable, you are able to guide your path, however, for the most part, and for most people, it would be like dream when one is not in the lucid state. As such, because reality changes unpredictably, it would be very difficult to make choices, because choices have predetermined outcomes, and a reality that is flexible makes predicting and planning ones actions very difficult.

The subconsciousness, opens up in "4D" and we are far more prone to "hallucination" - in fact, it would be almost impossible to determine what is hallucination and what is not.

Our minds also will be capable of much more when we can deal directly with what we call now the subconsciousness, we will be able to apply our imaginations to the world around us...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Before I read all of your OP, I will point out one thing.

The human species is like a match stick. No matter the length, there is a point where it combusts, will conflagrate, and then expire.

It will slowly rise, become, and overwhelm itself to the point it is no more.

We wont be around in a hundred million years. not from this evolutionary stand point anyway. perhaps an offshoot of some homo sapiens will evolve, but it will not be US. it will be someone so far away from US, yet who can still use their brains the same as us, who will be the human of 100 million years from now.

Just like the dinosaur, only the slightest of their relatives survived.. and now we know birds...

we will be nothing more than an shadow, in the dna, of who we will become.

edit on 27-11-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Time is relative to itself and therefore at best is a symptom of a 4th dimension, not necessarily the 4th itself.

I see it as an effect.....of something. Like gravity is an effect of something.

You are right though, time is very bizarre. Its interesting to note that some days when working hard and getting a lot accomplished the day can either fly or creep. Sometimes I struggle with its logic, it truly doesn't make since from an observational standpoint, unless like quantum mechanics, it acts differently if observed and measured.

Reminds me of a thread I read yesterday about the heart giving out different physical frequencies when in different moods. Starting getting me thinking that our hearts can, in a microcosm sort of way, act as flux-capacitor to travel through time. Or to slow or speed up time in a genuinely physical sense but only to that independent observer who's heart is manipulating space/time. It's not until you recognize the time that you notice how much has lapsed or lack thereof. There is something here most definitely as the saying goes: "time flies when you're having fun" key word here fun, genuine excitement creates a stronger field around your heart.

For example: 2 different days doing the same exact thing, say, framing a house. One day you're having a lot of fun because the weather nice and people are joking. The next day its a little gloomy, everyone's working hard but not really talking. Nothing has changed really but your enjoyment and yet the experience is quite different and much, much longer. The key I think, is in the heart.

edit on 27-11-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Interesting thread OP, hope you don't mind if I share my experience.

Believe it or not time flows right to left, at least from our perspectives.

I'm speaking seriously here..

But I actually experienced 'Time' when I dabbled on "______". *Due to the TOS, I can't mention the name of the legal powerful drug.

It's been said that time flows like a river, and that part is true. How do I explain this - I literally felt time flowing right to left within my own consciousness. I believe this is how God can play out our life on a screen when we die because our own consciousness is recording everything. There is evidence of this by NDE users.

Before you atheist get your panties in a twist, let me be the first to tell you - A fool knows in his own heart that God does exist. Psalm 14:1.

It's weird feeling yourself pass through, feeling different versions of yourself passing by as you look to the right. You might not realize this but every second that goes by, a part of you is going by to the right in a sense that you are not the same person as you were 2 seconds ago. Experiences changes us, and I am a firm believer that people can change whether it be for better or worse.

It wasn't until went and bought a book titled "Near Death Experiences - the rest of the story" by P.M.H Atwater to learn more about NDEs before I realized the implications of what it was that I experienced. There's been many reported cases of people talking about exiting their body from the left during an NDE. When I learned that, I realized after what I had experience because if time within my consciousness flow from right to left - it would make sense that you would exit your body from the left side.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Isn' it all just a matter of definition?
with a 3d comic for example, it alreday contains a timeline, the events progress, so there is your "bizarre" 4th dimension.
The 5th could be the integrated information, from making a programmed figure interacting with the other.
And if you feel like it you can make a 6th dimension, just by saying there is one... [conection content with receptor; overlapping timeline, from creator and receptor]
But that would probably be to much, since most people still can't grasp how time is just a coordinate system to measure the progress of events.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I got something for you:

Paradox Waves - Time Travel to the Past Does Not Affect the Present

How Time might actually be where alternative universes hide.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
You took us far down the rabbit hole on this one lol. First of all, what classifies something as a dimension or what classifies something as having a dimension? Are those two questions the same or quite different? In physical terms, the 1st dimension is a change in distance in the "width dimension", the 2nd is a change in distance in the "length dimension" and the 3rd is a change in distance in the "height dimension." That is the classical way of thinking about the concept of 3 PHYSICAL dimensions. But, according to our theories of relativity, aren't TIME and SPACE (or distance) intertwined? And thus our classical 3 dimensions of space are intrinsically combined with 3 time related dimensions. If there is no time in the x direction, can there be space in the x direction? I guess one doesn't make much sense without the other is what I'm trying to say here. Matter of fact, time is perceived as having a "length" dimension. But what about its "width and height dimensions"?
maybe that's what the OP is trying to suggest with his 4DIMENSIONAL being idea. Which would really make the being 6DIMENSIONAL no?
Orthogonality (math concept) also has a lot to do with dimensions in space-time. But I have yet to really focus on reading much about it because I've been busy, I've had no TIME
pun intended.

I love these types of questions. They really get me thinking even if it's so abstract and really far out there. It's still cool and fun to talk about.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Time is motion, this how I look at time. Our expanding space is time in reference to a stationary object.

This idea that something can exist in a single dimension is an impossibility. Dimensions are descriptive terms used to describe the qualities of something that exists. Regardless of how many dimensions we ascribe to something that exists, it exists in all of them and cannot exist with less. Nothing can exist in space without the duration of time and it's the same with any extra dimensions you decide to tack on to reality.

The current concept of time is bizarre, time itself seems normal enough, given that we born into this reality of spinning planets revolving around suns that in turn revolve around the galaxy that is expanding away from other galaxies.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
There is no time. Its bizarre and mind boggling, but time is an illusion. We're logging onto the body computer to run the universe programs and earth program, that we erect into 3D around us. Like an advanced 3D movie.

The DVD is just information packets, there is no time, no sequencing of events, no spatial, no graphics, etc. Its just code. But the computer programs, like the body/mind, sorts out and decodes it and produces the hologram and gives it a sense of time, spatial, distance, and reality.

There is no time, everything is around us, and we just flesh out a small amount of what is there, tiny amount, that we are programmed to do, basically that is our channel, 98.5 FM, we can't experience the others. Past, present and future is a perception but all that data is there at once on the DVD.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
OP - Amazing writing style, I love it, but you have time confused with the theory of hypertime.

Time appears to have an arrow, or quantum zeno effect as it's known in physics, and represents the fourth dimension - the direction of the arrow cannot be altered. There is always past, present and future to allow for continuity and coherence.

Hypertime is part of an obscure 12th dimensional theory where you have 10 physical dimensions, one of time and another of hypertime - hypertime differs as time is 1D and hypertime is 2D - allowing for travel both forwards and backwards in time and completes M-theory.

No beings occupy either as the dimensions represent the movement of matter, not matter itself.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Basically we're in a fake reality. The universe is like the internet with information waves, and we're the ones that flesh out in a holographic way, our own little corner of it, and then are programmed by the elite to believe firmly this is all real so we can't wake up and change the reality around us into more positive. We're infinite consciousness and there is no time, space, distance, its all perception.
edit on 27-11-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Superstring physics is embodied in the geometries of the 4-dimensional polychorons (counterparts of the 3-d Platonic solids). It is mathematically proved here

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Oh my god. time is not the fourth dimensions because it already exists in the previous three and that would make it an exceptional dimension for no reason other than not looking for a better answer.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate
Really liked what you said here, everything is connected and the power of the heart,
Definitely thinking outside of the box

Perhaps sleep plays a roll with this interconnectivity too
Time is just a means of measurement, it doesn't exist in the literal sense as it is infinitely cast into the future.

edit on 27-11-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Where is time? Can you see or hear time?
Time is a concept, an idea, a thought. Have you ever seen or heard the past or seen or heard the future? You may have memories or anticipation but they can only ever happen presently.
Change appears to be happening - there is movement seen. Look at a watch and see the hands moving or the numbers changing (digital). You, the seer of the movement, never move but the scenery does move - this gives rise to the idea of time.

All that is moving is moving in timeless being, as timeless being.
The current configuration is this.
This is always this and this is constantly appearing different.
edit on 27-11-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Time is simply motion. Think about it. Think real hard about that.

EDIT TO ADD: I explain in good detail my take on dimensions in my thread titled "The Birth Of The Creator" Im sorry I can't link to it im on my phone. But you can click on my name and find my list of threads.

Very interesting thread! This is what I look for here at ATS.

Please read my thread it will add greatly to the discussion here!

-Alien
edit on 11/27/2014 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Have you ever experienced time?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I can hear time: tick, tick, tick. Saying time is motion is just wrong. Unless you define motion as speed mark time. But from your posts i somehow assume you don't.
v=t/d (velocity ,time,distance) so: t=v*d, would be more correct, i.E.: time is speed*distance
sorry, I am kind of a know it all... Just kidding, but I guess you see why I have almost no friends.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join