It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Station's 3-D Printer Pops Out It's First Creation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

If the knob that flushes the space toilet breaks off, you won't need to wait for the next supply run to replace it.

Wasn't me.
I wasn't the last one in the head.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Having used 3d printers I know the objects produced are ascetic not functional.....that is the material and quality is vastly inferior to items manufactured by other processes. I for one would not like to be a passenger in a space station made from 3d printed parts

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rowanflame
A friend builds "quadcopters" (quotes because some are tricopters). He uses 3D printed parts. They are hideously ugly but they are durable, fit perfectly, and fulfill their function. His toys are amazing.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is super great news, S&F. Have a broken part, rebuild it. Imagine the independence it will bring. When the printers are financially affordable to the average person, we'll be able to build many things that would normally have to be purchased from a store. It will create a boon in raw or formable materials. Maybe we won't have to buy as much crap from China anymore.

I don't know if it's been brought up here on ATS but a young boy who was born with one of his hands which had only a thumb and no fingers on it, had a robotic hand designed by students and created by a 3D printer. He was using it amazingly. I'll look for it and edit my post with info if I can find it.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
been wondering for a while when they were gonna send a 3D printer to the space station. finally got a poor mans replicator lol

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rowanflame
Having used 3d printers I know the objects produced are ascetic not functional.....that is the material and quality is vastly inferior to items manufactured by other processes. I for one would not like to be a passenger in a space station made from 3d printed parts

Here are some photos of non functional 3d printed objects that make life a little easier for these little guys:

Here's link to latest created hand for a 7 year old: www.cbsnews.com...

These *non functioning* prosthetics are cheaper, designed to the specific needs of the user and amazingly, ARE functional! 3D printing is amazing and there are no ends to the benefits they can help create.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Starrunner

If it's up there for longevity the very first part it should print, is a new print head for the simple reason if the one it started with fails they can print nothing. So it makes sense the first replacement part would be the most important part of the 3d printer for lack of it failing and being a waste of weight, time, money, and effort on the space station.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18707155]rockintitz[
what is needed is more of the money going to exploration less in to bureaucracy

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The progress that's been made with 3D printing is fascinating. Wait for the day when organs are able to be printed and used in transplants.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Or the day in which parts for spacecraft are able to be 3d printed in orbit or further out.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sfbread

They're working on it:

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: rowanflame
A friend builds "quadcopters" (quotes because some are tricopters). He uses 3D printed parts. They are hideously ugly but they are durable, fit perfectly, and fulfill their function. His toys are amazing.

It's still no where near the level of durability or quality required to build a space craft. I can see it being useful to replace small plastic items in the space station but beyond that I don't see much use for it.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder
I don't really think the plan is to 3D print spacecraft any time soon. But give it a couple of decades.

edit on 11/29/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I recall reading an article a few years ago, in which I believe it described an organ printed on stage as a demonstration.

Has anyone seen it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join