It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still eating cats and dogs in Switzerland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands of people in Switzerland still eat dogs and cats and there is no law against it , they use dog meat in sausages and a fatty remedy for rheumatism ,The Swiss are also among the world's biggest consumers of horse meat the Swiss eat 4,598 tonnes of it a year! 3% of the population still eat cat and dog, mainly in the regions of Appenzell, Lucerne, Jura and Berne.cat features on traditional Christmas menus in some rural parts of the country

And you thought it was just in some Asian countries this goes on in , maybe it helps them make better watches or delicious chocolates

www.rte.ie...

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You might need some of these if you have had a bit much cat or over loaded on the labrador sarnies

A French man claims to have developed a pill that not only eases indigestion but makes farts smell like chocolate or roses.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Good anyone should be able to eat any animal that is not an endangered species. Any herbs, veggies, fruits ect... How can anyone make food off limits?

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
That's odd...I'm an English expat living in Germany and I've never heard this one...I'spent some time ski-ing there too and saw no canine or feline on the menu.As far as I'm concerned,why not?I'd rather they ate Jehovah's Witnesses though.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Eh, it's all meat.

Never ate dog or house cat but if it's all there was and I was hungry it's meat.

I am an avid hunter, trapper and fisherman and have ate about every kind of fish native to North America and hunt about 80% of our meat (or raise it).
I have eaten many things that have been trapped including raccoon, possum, beaver, rabbit, squirrel and turtle.
I have hunted, killed and eaten deer, elk, javalina, bison, duck, geese, turkey, bear and mountain lion.

It all tastes a little different just like pork & beef do but it's all meat and edible, some more so than others.

Every country has it's own cultural differences and menu's.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

If they want cat they are welcome to come to Australia and kill all the feral cats they can . Better not let them shoot domesticated ones though as they dont eat our native animals .DO THEY GRRRRRR

We eat kangaroo and emu , only country that eats their native emblems .lol

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Good anyone should be able to eat any animal that is not an endangered species. Any herbs, veggies, fruits ect... How can anyone make food off limits?

Humans are not endangered.

Humans are animals.

Want to come over for dinner?

No, I thought not... some invisible line has been drawn eh? And I bet you a dollar it involves some arrogant human being superior and yada yada schtick. We're not you know. Ask a shark.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

If they want cat they are welcome to come to Australia and kill all the feral cats they can . Better not let them shoot domesticated ones though as they dont eat our native animals .DO THEY GRRRRRR

We eat kangaroo and emu , only country that eats their native emblems .lol

Yerr we need to start flamin shooting the feral humans that go out and kill all the native stuff. I seen 'em at a park. Wild animal, and going sick, aye.

True.

Here is a thing, you guys. we have plenty of food on our tables. We dont need to eat mans best friend and his psychotic fuzzy companion. We don't. but hey never worry about necessity, it's all about "I Human, i eat what I want. Ugg!"

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

I guess that includes humans.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

We eat kangaroo lol

What? WHAT??

I hope by saying you eat kangaroo, you are talking about something like this...

If not...

I just don't know what to do.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I wonder what the history is behind dogs and cats ever being eaten (in any country)?

I think carnivores in general taste worse than herbivores.

I think regardless of what we eat, we should still not lose any consideration for the suffering of other beings (e.g. hot dog eating contests - totally unnecessary and disrespectful imo).

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

yeah, we eat kangaroo over here... available in supermarkets.

I don't like the taste of it though, nor emu. Have tried both.

My Son hunts the majority of our meat that we eat... goats, deer (kangaroo is for the dogs) and recently a huge steer.

I could never eat a dog or a cat though and I did not know it was common practice in Switzerland.

edit on CST01uThu, 27 Nov 2014 01:50:11 -06005011am330 by Thurisaz because: clarify

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

I was teasing. I know folks eat kangaroo. Though truthfully... I didn't know it until about a year or so back. I'm a meat eater. I enjoy steak. A LOT. So by that, I can not stand in judgement for any meat others eat. Even cat and dog. Like you, I couldn't do it (unless I was starving) but do realize there are places around the globe that do not see dogs and cats the same way we do.

I imagine that if we were bought up thinking about cats and dogs like we do cows and pigs, we wouldn't have a problem eating them at all. I think it's all in how we have been raised to perceive certain animals over others that causes the "Ew" factor.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I find it funny that some of those people who say "it's just meat" would find the idea of eating a human unacceptable. That is not really a tenable position, considering that humans are made of the same stuff that a cat or a dog. It is all a cultural thing, or a social more. Personally I find the idea of eating any domestic "pet" animal repugnant. These animals were domsticated precisely for companionship, and helping humans where dogs are concerned. Animals like cows or pigs are placed outside and they do what they would do if they were in the wild, and their lives are no different. But in the case of dogs and cats we take them in to our homes, show them love and compassion, and this has domesticated them over many years. They not only depend on us, but trust us, and I cannot see turning around and eating them. Unless they show no love or compassion to these dogs and cats, and keep them in large community pens where they've never had human contact, and have never come to trust humans. Perhaps it is no different from eating a cow or a pig, but I don't think of those animals as putting the same amount of trust in us as the more domesticated animals.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

well disturbing fact as it is... throughout history... cannibalism was common practice as well.

edit on CST02uThu, 27 Nov 2014 02:08:24 -06000824am330 by Thurisaz because: sheesh... spelling on such a little reply lol

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Well as much as i would hate to send a mod into cardiac arrest we do eat kangaroo . Many hotels and restaurants serve it .To add further insult imo it tastes like igkb . Mind you it has to taste better than cat . But if you mix the cat in eleven secret herbs and spices . Thats another post i guess .

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
And ? Nothing wrong with eating dog they cook up nicely .. just dont eat it too often as it a heaty food end up make the body hot .
Plus unlike western food it not been genetically modded or loaded with chemicals..

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Yeah, it's kind of dodgy to think we eat the animals that are on our Coat of Arms.

Recommend Roo on the bbq, very tasty meat. Some say a rather 'gamey' but I'd argue that more as 'character'. I had an emu sausage, not too bad either but beezers err I mean rabbits are more to my taste.

I hear Guinnea Pigs are a delicacy!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Oh dear...emu sausage,eh?

I am so childish

I'm surprised you Aussies don't eat camel meat...they're a plague,apparently.

Mind you,the barbie would have to be enormous...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I was all through Switzerland back in 1990. I didn't see any cats or dogs on the menus. That being said, if there was it would be fine with me. Farm raised critters to eat and as long as it's disclosed I don't have a problem with it.

I've had horse, kangaroo, emu, gator and a few other exotic things but never a cat or dog. I wouldn't want to eat them but if others do, that's fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join