It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissolving Cultural Boundaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Believe it or not im a person focused on constant growth. This part of my personality is what made me a highly affective professional fighter with a highly adaptable fighting style and i always improved and still do. Recently ive been meditating and using breathing to create space between me and my thoughts and to try and take over control from my ego. Ive been putting a lot of work into understanding cultural pressure/ responses/ beliefs/ judgements and getting rid of them.

This is no joke theres a lot of resistance from the ego. Its always pushing back wanting me to continue to believe these intangible constructs.

Things like beauty, motivation, work ethic, all of the ideas that are rammed into our heads from the time we are young. The rolls we play, how we think of family, success, career, what and why we love to our ideas of god and government all of things must be taken into account and done away with.

I think this is the biggest tool to fight back against the spiritual evil that lives in all of humanity.

Mckenna liked to talk a lot about culture and i know its becoming cliche to talk about him (thanks Rogan) but i dont care.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Starred and Flagged!

Dissolving Cultural Boundaries wont work whilst White flight continues to exist!

How can you discuss anything if they keep running away and refusing to even deal with another culture

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
For some reason, the video you posted is not coming up for me, so I haven't seen it.

In moving to another culture, I was forced to see how much of the way I am and think comes from my cultural conditioning.

This process allowed me to review it all, and for much, instead of just acting upon values and ideas that had just been implanted in me, spend some time analyzing them and looking at alternatives, and consciously choosing what I will think, value, do, based on their effects and my chosen intents. (Rather than just running on automatic).

But I still find that some of them remain really fixed in me, so that I have trouble changing them, or even wanting to change them. Like work ethic, for example. That which I have been conditioned with is not adapted to my current environment, and yet I have trouble changing it. I have a typical american type of work ethic- I feel if I choose to accept a job, I want to do it well. I want to put all my effort into it while there. I want to be on time, I want to consider the health of the organism I work for as important to me.

These ideas seem...like, DUH! for most americans, and it took a mighty twist of mind to understand that these are not universal values, they can be rejected, even seen as bad ethics. That is how they are seen in my current environment.

Yet, I remain attached to them.

On the other hand, this process has the benefit of being able to "own" my own conditioing- to be aware that this is MY values, these are MY preferences, these are MY choices. They are not universal, no value is inherent, and those that feel and think differently have, ultimately, just as much legitimacy as I.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

There are many sociocultural expectations that we look to in order to derive a sense of self-worth. We might not necessarily "want" to meet such expectations, however, neither do we want to fail in meeting them - somehow feeling second-grade, embarrassed, or ashamed of our selves. That is, the only point in pursuing them is to maintain status amongst our peers. How many people end up doing things that they do not feel inclined to do, or worse end up doing things that they resent just to meet a societal expectation?

In a way it can be a boundary when one wants to choose a different path, yet is stuck on the "treadmill" so to speak and would not dare try to jump off it.

The solution in my mind is to stand up for ones self and the choices that they make - or choices that they do not want to make - and when they have to face their peers, be proud to have made their own choices rather than bowing down to expectations.

edit on 26-11-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Believe it or not im a person focused on constant growth. This part of my personality is what made me a highly affective professional fighter with a highly adaptable fighting style and i always improved and still do. Recently ive been meditating and using breathing to create space between me and my thoughts and to try and take over control from my ego. Ive been putting a lot of work into understanding cultural pressure/ responses/ beliefs/ judgements and getting rid of them.

This is no joke theres a lot of resistance from the ego. Its always pushing back wanting me to continue to believe these intangible constructs.

I commend you on this effort. Good Luck!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Guten Morgen-

Ego = problems. BIG EGO= BIG PROBLEMS.

No Ego= No problems.

Lao Tzu

namaste

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

He was doing fairly well until he started talking about art? Then the "mud god" who made our candy azzes out of the stuff anyway.

Yea and whats he got going that is new? Jesus could tell him all about culture not being our friend. Remember the Good Samaritan? That was mud gods boy talking about that. You know not "kicking each others teeth in" as McKenna said. He was starting to sound like Jesus for a bit there.

edit on 27-11-2014 by Logarock because: n

top topics

join