It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wooly Mamoth provides fresh blood and tissue samples......possible cloning material.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...
A Siberian Mammoth recovered from the permafrost may provide the material to restart the species.....
More at the link.....
What does ATS say about such restorations.......is this wise to be doing......what about any diseases the corpse may also have.....

An analysis of the mammoth’s teeth showed that she died when she was in her 50s. Researchers also examined her tusks, whose growth rates depended on whether the animal was pregnant or lactating. They learned she had given birth to at least eight calves and that at least one of the calves had died.

In the mammoth’s liver, the researchers found mysterious white spheres about the size of golf balls that Herridge thinks might have been gallstones. In her intestines were rocks in “quite large numbers” that she may have swallowed while grazing.

Herridge suggested these were clues that the mammoth may not have been healthy when she got stuck in a peat bog shortly before her death.

When she was found, the meat from her thigh bones had been stripped of flesh, and part of her spine and skull were missing. The Russian researchers who took part in the autopsy suggested that the mammoth may have been partially eaten alive by predators, but Herridge said she wasn’t sure what led them to that conclusion.

Like a 'piece of steak'

What remained of the mammoth’s flesh was the highlight of the autopsy. While many mammoths found in permafrost are dried up and mummified, “this was really juicy,” said Herridge, who likened the appearance of the muscle to a “piece of steak — bright red when you cut into the flesh and then as it hit the air, it would go brown.”

edit on 26-11-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Apparently some has been found that was eaten by some well-heeled diners at the Explorers Club:

The task of hydraulically mining the Yukon Valley for permafrost mammoths to serve up proved too pricey to make the meat the main course—in such an event, each plate would have cost $475.94, which corresponds to $4520.23 in today's money. In fact, a lack of any edible mammoth whatsoever was set to nix the plans until Reverend Bernard Hubbard, also known as the Glacier Priest, "told the committee about his own private stock at a place called Woolly Cove on Akutan Island." There's no mention of how the ultimate frozen food tasted, but that the mammoth was even edible is incredible. A 2007 Baltimore City Paper article cites a 1961 piece in Science magazine, which reported that of 39 mammoth carcasses found in the world to that point (10 years after the Explorers Club dinner), "just four were reasonably complete"—as I suppose it must have been to feed a gala—and even then the meat was often rotten. Hopefully, for Mr. Nichols and the rest of the attendees' sakes, this was not the case with Reverend Hubbard's mammoth. But even if it was, it didn't deter the Club from their quest to serve only the most exotic foods at the annual dinner. The 2012 feast included bull "rods and testicles," python patties, martinis garnished with cow eyeballs, and a dessert topped with "pupae sprinkles" (a.k.a. maggots).

Mental Floss

Whether it tasted good was not mentioned.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Oh, I sure hope they don't bring any of those around here after they are cloned. I have enough problems with deer in the garden. Those Mammoths would mess up the fence and compact the soils as they eat. I get they would produce good fertilizer though.

Keep them in Canada.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Maybe they can do it, maybe. Cloning a mammoth is like fusion power, there's always something that looks very promising, and then...well we'll see what we can do in ten years. With an intact cell nucleus, it could be done. a reply to: stirling

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I got giddy with joy! I really hope they can clone a mammoth ! How amazing would that be!!!
Go science!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I truly hope that they can bring back the woolly mammoth as humans probably played a part in it's demise. But they would have to clone a few of them to ensure enough genetic diversity.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
After so many aeons whats the chances of ending up with some kind of deformity of other I wonder....how could the egg be fertilised at what temperature and what implanted parent would you choose...questions questions....

new topics

top topics

join