It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people should'nt work on Thanksgiving or Christmas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why just those two holidays? National Holidays.
Personally its an inconvenience for the rest of us who live here to have everything shut down for a whole day.

I would support de-nationalizing ALL Holidays.
No more going to the DMV on a random day and find out they are closed. Or going to the Post office, and nope, its Columbus Day. Or going to the Public Utility to pay your bill, nope Martin Luther King Day. Or local permitting office, nope New Years. Or going to the bank and nope, its Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, or Independence Day.

I'm seriously. Remove all National Holidays, they are a nuisance and a distraction to our productivity.
If these days mean something personally to you, take the time off work and observe them by all means.
How much more important that will make them to you and your family....but trying to shut down society for a whole day by government decree has always struck me as stupid.

X

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

well if you don't care about those dates that's fine. but for others that want to opt in and want that day off. they should be able to have it off with out haggling or negotiating with a boss.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i dont think anyone should have the 'right' to have the day off.

i also dont think that people with families have more of a 'right' to it off than the people without.

the foundry shuts down for a week at christmas time except for essential people or people on lines that still need production.
a lot of people shuffle trying to get out of it.

ive been asked several times and always said no. had i needed the money, i would have cause i would have got a premium. but, since it is technically a lay off, i get an unemployment check anyway.

people used to ask me if i would work for them cause they were on a line that had to be there. i guess they knew that at the time i wasnt married and i had no child.
i still didnt cover them.

i guess i could have but i just didnt want to.

i was working 60 hour weeks. i was working 25 days in a row....

they thought that had more of a right to have those few days off than did.

i didnt see it that way.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
You know it is not just the retail and emergency services people that work on holidays.

In the building trades/construction industry most holidays mean shutdown work. Shutdown meaning a factory shuts down so its employees can enjoy the holiday and they use that time to make repairs or upgrade systems.

That is where we come in. Working long hours with around the clock shifts to get a piece of work down in a small window of time.

Of course we are paid pretty good for it and for the most part is voluntary.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
being closed for 2 days of the year shouldn`t make or break your business, if it does then you probably deserve to go bankrupt since you don`t know how to run a business.
if you can get enough people to "volunteer" to work on those days then by all means go ahead and open but don`t force people to work.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

well yeah I thought I said it was extreme to make it illegal to work on those days and yes I realize not everybody likes those holidays if that's the word for it.

But I am saying if I was king I would decree that.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcouncil=wisdom

Its a funny observation to make that some people think off these holidays as its just society shutting down and then others like me think its a special day to be thankful that you still have loved ones here with you. its kind of a funny contrast,

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I know companies and business are seen as being amoral but I think its in the companies benefit to take care of their workers and maybe to say okay were shutting down for the holiday enjoy the time off. if you take car eof the worker ina quality way I think the worker will in turn show quality to the company reflected in their work and their desire to see the company succeed.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: grainofsand

well if you don't care about those dates that's fine. but for others that want to opt in and want that day off. they should be able to have it off with out haggling or negotiating with a boss.

I agree in the most part, but if it is a job in an industry that an employee accepts might involve working on those holidays then if the employer made it clear at the interview stage they are left with no choice other than haggling and negotiating with a boss.
Take a job with a business that is closed during those holidays or stop whinging I say.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Superbowl Sunday is the only day of the year I absolutely refuse to work. I'll take the triple time for the holidays.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Haha, totally get that!
For me it's any Wales match in the 6 Nations each year, every school sports day my son had when he was little, every competitive rugby game he plays now he's not so little, oh and my birthday.
Christmas means nothing to me particularly, aside from being a day when lots of people who don't really like each other pretend to in front of everyone else, and then often fail badly.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
im glad my work wont be open thanksgiving or xmas

for a corperation they treat us well

but i refuse to go anywhere ether day ever

worked many jobs i get nether off

away from family

its not cool and if there where no profits to be made it would stop

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Lets see....hmmm....so no Jewish, Muslim nationalities and businesses should be open and working on someone elses holiday?
Force them not to be open or work because Christianity has a holiday?

How small IS the town you live in?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I own a bar and we are open almost every day of the year. We are not opening tonight till 10pm. Some employees and customers complained that they wanted us to open at our regular time, that is 8pm. My employees do not want us to be closed. We are used to working crazy hours though. Our kitchen is open from 11pm-5am, last call for alcohol is supposed to be 6am but winds up being 8ish.

We close twice a year on a Sunday through Wednesday and I take everyone to the beach in the summer and a cabin in the mountains for winter.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

a reply to: Grovit

I know companies and business are seen as being amoral but I think its in the companies benefit to take care of their workers and maybe to say okay were shutting down for the holiday enjoy the time off. if you take car eof the worker ina quality way I think the worker will in turn show quality to the company reflected in their work and their desire to see the company succeed.

the world does not stop cause it is a holiday. thats a fact.
the foundry does shut down for a week. it is to give people time with their families and so the maintenance team can make needed repairs without a full crew there.
contrary to what you think, production needs to move forward.
some of the contracts were for windmill part or castings to be used in natural gas pipe lines. some were for motor/gear boxes for trains..those are just a couple.
the foundry has contracts with its customers to deliver x amount of quality products by x date.
facts are, if a line is behind or if taking a week off will put them behind then yeah, that line has to work.

cant just call the company installing the pipe line and say "hey, i know we have a contract for x amount of units but our people dont want to work on christmas day so youre going to be x amount short'

thats not how it works.
not everyone observes those days. it is not a special day to everyone...
if they do celebrate christmas and they have to work that day then i guess they need to be an adult and make adjustments. you know, do the gift exchange christmas eve or christmas day after work. the weekend before. the day after.
whatever.......

the world does not and should not cease to function cause people want to celebrate a day...
my opinion

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I agree in the most part, but if it is a job in an industry that an employee accepts might involve working on those holidays then if the employer made it clear at the interview stage they are left with no choice other than haggling and negotiating with a boss.
Take a job with a business that is closed during those holidays or stop whinging I say.

good point and agreed.
for the most part its not like when the holidays come around it comes as a shock.
employers give hand books and have orientations.

i went through it when i started the foundry. they tell all employees before they ever start to work that the plant shuts down for a week at christmas time but depending on which department youre in or what line youre on, you might have to work. they also have to let you know at least 2 weeks ahead of time..
so yeah, its a fair program.

people know what they are getting into.....
just something else to bitch about

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

We can go one day without shopping right?? and Are you going to get mad at a business because they decided to shutdown for the holiday??

Yeah. If I lived in NYC I'd be really pissed if the subways and busses shut down for one religious holiday.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I hear you...Its such a crap ass thing to do to make people work on these holiday'ys

I am at work now. Lol. Its different for me because I have to be at my dads place today. He still made his employees work as well but they are family at this point too..I dont know if thats a good thing..lol

We will eat dinner later all together like is tradition for my dad and them ....their own family come and we all eat together. Its actually nice..this was every holday for me as a kid..... I know I will miss this later in life....so I enjoy it now.

I wouldnt make my employees come in Though.
edit on 11 27 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Working in a hospital, I was not given any opportunity to refuse when I saw I was scheduled to work Christmas eve (until 9 pm) , Christmas day (all day), new years eve and day... see, thing is, people are still sick and in need of care- even on holidays!

I am not happy about it, I won't be able to celebrate at all with my husband, children, and grandchild- nor my birthday which falls on this holiday.

But at least they are not one of the patients. I consider myself lucky in that respect.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18707843]Grovit[/post

Thats fine if its nto a special day to everyone but I think the owner the boss of the company should recognze the fact that they might have employess that want that day off for whatever reason and it shoul;d be expected that they get that day off.

whats the harm in having that day off and maybe you can just have some ME time. or write a poem.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join