It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remains of ten bodies at Ben Franklin's home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
any one come across this yet??

Ben Franklin, thats the guy on the dollar bill right? one of the founding father of America?

"Remains of ten bodies at Ben Franklin's home"

Workmen have dug up the remains of ten bodies hidden beneath the former London home of Benjamin Franklin, the founding father of American Independence.

The remains of four adults and six children were discovered during the 31.9 million restoration of Franklin's home at 36 Craven Street, close to Trafalgar Square. Researchers believe that there could be more bodies buried beneath the basement kitchens.

Initial estimates are that the bones are about 200 years old and were buried at the time Franklin was living in the house, which was his home from 1757 to 1762, and from 1764 to 1775. Most of the bones show signs of having been dissected, sawn or cut. One skull has been drilled with several holes. Paul Knapman, the Westminster coroner, said yesterday: "One cannot totally discount the possibility of a crime. There is still a possibility that I may have to hold an inquest." Ten Bodies Found Under Ben Franklin's Home

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Maybe they were his early kite-during-storm guinea pigs! with the last one he said "no you fool, like this.............." And the rest is history!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction

Ben Franklin, thats the guy on the dollar bill right? one of the founding father of America?

Uhmmm...that would be George Washington, first President of the United States on a dollar bill. Franklin is on the 100 dollar bill.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's probably not necessary to say this, but this story is a hoax inasmuch as it seems to implicate Franklin.

The bones were actually the remains of dissections on human cadavers performed by a surgeon, Dr. William Hewson, who was the actual owner of the house, and who had temporarily rented it to Franklin. It is unlikely that Franklin had any clue that there were human remains on the premises, and he stayed there for only a short time.

One archaeological website says:

"Since 1998, excavation and study of human remains found in the basement of Benjamin Franklin's former residence at 36 Craven Street. The remains almost certainly represent the 1772-1774 anatomy school of William Hewson who was Franklin's lodger at the house. Coordinating the study of the excavated material, with Professor Tony Waldron and Dr Louise Martin (UCL), and the Friends of Benjamin Franklin House."

www.ucl.ac.uk...

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Masonic Light]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Funny that the Masons show up right away...

Ben Franklin was known to dabble in medicine, too. He was quite the rennaisance man. Sounds to me like these bodies were used for study in some way. Maybe live pathology study on the ill.

But you know, Ben was kind of a wierdo, too. I wouldn't put it past him to have killed a few blokes in his time.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
I wouldn't put it past him to have killed a few blokes in his time.

Only if they were wearing red coats.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
1770 Drs. practiced their trade. today 230 years later Drs. still
PRACTICE their profession. they spend their entire career
PRACTICING medicine. Then they retire because they are
tired of PRACTICING.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Funny that the Masons show up right away...

Just wondering why he's always got to be a Mason first, not a historian and scholar? Come on, man!?

Did you look at the link? It's from The INSTITUTE OF ARCHAEOLOGY. The original poster's source was a cionspiracy theory website? Mason or not, who are you going to believe? If it's not obvious, then you'd better get off the computer and hide, because the black helicopters are hovering outside, and they're coming for YOU.

I'm not trying to defend ML, he can do that for himself. I'm just trying to understand why any time a man who is a known Mason makes a point on this board, the fact that they are a Mason is the first thing people jump on before even commenting on the FACTS presented.

Can you help me out?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Can you help me out?

Actually, I was just considering the fact that Ben himself was a Mason, and that it was poignant that other Masons would come to the aid of a brother right away.

I hope that helps. Moving on...

Maybe I should have read the whole thread before I posted, but I'm glad I assumed rightly that the bodies were used for study. The thing I can't figure out is, didn't they have places to store bodies, like cemetaries? Or was it still illegal/taboo to practice autopsy at the time? Burying bodies under the kitchen doesn't seem very sanitary to me, but then England never really cared of cleanliness, did they?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak

Uhmmm...that would be George Washington, first President of the United States on a dollar bill. Franklin is on the 100 dollar bill.

Franklin is on the pre JFK 50 cent piece, in silver. Washington and Hamilton are on the one and 10 dollar notes. Yes, Franklin is on the 100 dollar note as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wait... what?

Ben Franklin is on the JFK 50 cent piece? Why?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Wait... what?

No. He said the "pre JFK 50 cent piece" Franklin was on the 1/2 dollar for several years before JFK. Occasionally you still find these pieces in circulation, although like wheat pennies, they're getting harder to find on a day to day basis.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman

Originally posted by senrak

quote]Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Wait... what?

Franklin is on the pre JFK 50 cent piece, in silver. Washington and Hamilton are on the one and 10 dollar notes. Yes, Franklin is on the 100 dollar note as well.

Pre JFK eg. before 1964 okay?

RR

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
It's probably not necessary to say this, but this story is a hoax inasmuch as it seems to implicate Franklin.

The bones were actually the remains of dissections on human cadavers performed by a surgeon, Dr. William Hewson, who was the actual owner of the house, and who had temporarily rented it to Franklin. It is unlikely that Franklin had any clue that there were human remains on the premises, and he stayed there for only a short time.

ML you seem to have a lot of aquired knowledge about a wide range of facts regarding Masonry and related figures therein, are you by chance an author or do you have any desire to go into that field? I for one would definately buy that book!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RR

ML you seem to have a lot of aquired knowledge about a wide range of facts regarding Masonry and related figures therein, are you by chance an author or do you have any desire to go into that field? I for one would definately buy that book!

lol, thanks. I've never written a book, only a few articles and essays.

As to the question by Delta Chaos about the sanitary elements involved in disposing of human remains in that manner:

There's a brief article on the Discovery Channel website about the find under the house that Franklin lived at for a while. They say that in many cases at that time autopsies were illegal, because of the belief that the body would be resurrected on Judgement Day. This led early biologists to purchase remains for graverobbers...sort of macabre, I know.

Anyway, the Discovery speculates that this was the case, and so the remains had to be hidden. Whether or not this is true cannot be proven, but it seems likely. Again, there is no evidence that Franklin himself was involved in, or knew anything about, any of it, regardless if it was done legally. Franklin was a scientist, but his specialties were botany and natural physics, instead of biology and medicine.

Also, an aside, the fact that Franklin was a Mason has little to do with my "coming to his defense". I was interested in Franklin and his life's work long before I became a Mason, and I almost feel as if I know him by studying his various writings. He was sort of a happy-go-lucky party dude...the thought of him carving up cadavers in some secret laboratory is just a little too much to believe.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yeah, you're right, ML.

I can't imagine the man that gave us, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" would be carving cadavers for fun.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Yeah, you're right, ML.

I can't imagine the man that gave us, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" would be carving cadavers for fun.

A very good point, and one of my favorite "quotes"...

BTW I like your sig, that's good stuff...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
errr this wasnt as much a knock at masonry, i know the link is anti masonry but i posted it more about his high profile and the bodies in his backyard. i couldnt believe it when i read it thats why i posted it, it could have been off an entirely different website with nothing to do with all the presidents being masons and all that.

(thats why i only posted the bit about the erm bodies)

theres way to much tension on this board about masonry.....this is like the front line of the net where masons and there foes knuckle down! one person says anything remotely against masonry ( or posts any link that doesnt show masonry in a good light) and then all the big G pics appear outta no where!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I had to laugh that a surgeon would go to the trouble to bury his dissections rather than take em' out of town and burn em' on a pyre.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   

DeltaChaos:England never really cared of cleanliness, did they?

You make it sound as though the Colonies were the paragon of cleanliness lol,
the fact is not many people in that time thought much about cleanliness.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join