It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

My mom has cancer and has to start getting chemo. Tomorrow my dad and I have to get a flu shot.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:16 PM
My mom's freaking out. I don't know what to do. And to top that off now I have to get the flu shot which I'm against getting but will get anyway for my mother.

Any tips for dealing with any of this?
I'm 23, a girl, and an only child. I don't know what to say or do to help her. She's really scared. Prayers/well-wishes would be appreciated as well. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mom. That's a terrible situation, and hopefully she has a speedy recovery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the flu shot. I got one for the first time this year, never had any ill effects. My wife has been getting them every year, so far with no ill effects. I think the worst was some pain and swelling at the injection site, but that went away within a day or so. I also had a Tdap at the same time, injected at the same location, so it could have been that hurting.

Wishing you, her, and the rest of your family the best for things to come.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:37 PM
What kind of cancer?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:38 PM
Don't take the flu # is all i can say. Even the people here working in the medical industry don't want to take it. Ya know why? Because it's totall BS. It is made up with BS and it does exactly BS. + there's a small chance you will get handicapped. No joke!

The situation with your mom.... i know exactly what you're going thru. Have hope stay positive. My dad had cancer for 5 years. Let's not talk about how it ended. I wish you and your mom all the best in the world!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:40 PM
a reply to: rukia

I send to you and your mother....

You can help your mother by...

Having a listening ear

Making sure she is eating the right foods

Going with her to appointments etc.

Helping her with housework and errands

Giving her a lot of hugs and kisses and encouragement

Many prayers will be said for you and yours.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:41 PM
Chemo and radiation are barbaric and wrong. That said. I would fight the cancer by not feeding it. Cancer thrives in an acidic environment. Going more alkaline is recommended to not feed the virus. Neutral or slightly alkaline may be a good approach. Too alkaline can damage organs. A detox of liver and kidneys may be beneficial after as well. As all that waste is filtered there and helps body in other ways. Boost your immune system as well to insure it wins over the cancer. If radiation, iodine can help recover from that. There are many natural ways to do these things that can work. Do some research and all should be fine. I have done some extensive research in this area and there are so many options. (Don't take my advice do your research ) But here is a cheap way Baking soda and water for acidity ( test to make sure safe levels in body ) herbs for liver and kidney cleanse. Eat healthy natural foods a lot of fruits and veggies. possibly supplement an organic natural vitamin made from raw foods. Cannabis oils help many as well. But very controversial. Everything not chemo or radiation is though. Best wishes on your success. Again do your research and don't take my word for anything or anyone's word for anything not even your doctor.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:02 PM
Flu shot is completely safe. You might have mild flu-like symptoms for 48 hours. But it's nothing to worry about.

Sympathies for your mum. Horrible thing.

But, there is every reason to be hopeful. A lot of Cancers are very very treatable these days with modern medicine. (Please don't listen to the people on the fringes who don't believe in modern medicine. Modern medicine saves lives.)

I wish you all the best of luck.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:14 PM

Hello flower,I have lung cancer as a primary and kidney as a secondary.

From my experience with cancer is sometimes you're mum will want to be left alone,she will get angry,she will also show you so much love.
Sometimes you will have to bite you're tongue with them.
Sometimes they wont want to see you.
But all the time they will love you.
You will see them in pain
But the most important thing is that you are there for her.
Take her out once in a while.
If you can, go to the Hospital with her.
Be the shoulder for her to cry on.
And don't forget you're Dad he will need a cuddle once in a while.
I wish you,you're mum and dad the very best take care.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:31 PM
Peace to you and your family. Get the flu shot. When your mother's immune system becomes compromised by chemo or radiation, the last thing she needs is the inability to ward off the flu that you or your father may have contracted. I never used to get the flu shot, but went down twice over the last three years for 4 days, I mean crippled. My wife had the flu shot both those years and nary a touch went to her. Luck? perhaps, but the old adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is true. She went through uterine cancer last summer and had a radical hysterectomy and was forced into menopause and has had other immuno side effects that she never experienced before. The last thing I want to do is expose her to my flu. Get the shot. Love sometimes means doing what is anethema to your belief so another may be loved. Good luck, you will make a wise, informed decision.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:49 PM
Chemo kills. Cannabis oil. Try it.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:52 PM

Were you told about other options other than chemotherapy?

Such a bummer you have to get flu shots. I hated it when I had to get flu shots when I lived with my Mom & younger sister, they both have no immune system.

I don't trust vaccines & flu shots but it might be best for your Mom. Unless you want to give yourself a very solid immune system (eat lots of garlic, use oregano oil, get lots of sleep, drink lots of water & make sure you eat properly)
edit on 11 25 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:12 PM

We all die Rukia but people tend to put it at the back their mind until something wakes them up. Find out more about the cancer, stage and survival rates etc. Try find success stories from people that have gone through same process to keep your mother positive as the body doesn't respond well to negativity.

Always get multiple opinions, don't trust any one doctor unless you feel they very good.

My prayers for your mother.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:19 PM
Here I am to help. I have had and so far beat cancer for 3 years. I had chemo and I had radiation. I had the tons of appointments and tests and fears and frustrations that went along with it. Not all people get the same medicines/chemo and it affects people differently. Most common is a severe fatigue. She may sleep a lot and be weak. Help with cooking and housework will do wonders for her. Do what you can without wearing yourself out of course.

Sometimes just being there is enough. She will let you know what she needs. I had two kinds of breast cancer at the same time and one was aggressive. Cancer does not mean a death sentence for everyone. Many people will be telling you horror stories about chemo and how it is a death sentence. Millions of us have survived because of that chemo! Please do not hesitate to send me a U2U any time for any reason.

What kind of cancer does your Mom have? Tell her there are millions of us who have survived, that she is being treated and taken care of and that you and the family are there for her. Watch some good movies together. Books helped me tremendously. If she likes to read, get her some books she will love, even if you have to get them free at a library. Make her a little basket of stuff to pamper her with. Scented creams, soaps, candles, lip balm, some make-up...little things to make her smile and feel special.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:22 PM
Here is an Angel to watch over Mom.

Here is one for you and Mom.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:23 PM

originally posted by: denybedoomed
Chemo kills. Cannabis oil. Try it.

It didn't kill me. It saved my life and millions like me.

A friend of mine died and he used the medical marijuana.
edit on 25-11-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:38 PM
Just wanted to drop in and give my best wishes to your family and hope your Mom has a full and speedy recovery.

I've been getting the flu shot for many years because I volunteer as an EMT and we are required to. The only adverse reaction I have ever had is a sore shoulder which is to be expect with any shot administered into a muscle.

Chemo beats up the immune system so it's important that anyone your Mom comes in contact with isn't sick.

I hope things look up for you soon.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:08 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay positive, help her to laugh, help around the house like some posters have suggested. Make sure she knows she is not alone. There is a good chance things will turn out good.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:35 PM
You, Mom and the family will need to take one thing at a time, one day at a time. Reassure your Mother that millions of people have survived cancer. It's ok if any of you cry. It is scary and no one expects it to happen to them. It is a normal reaction.

It was simple but thoughtful things that people did for me that meant the most. My niece and her little boy picked flowers from the garden and put them in a jar for me. Friends and family brought over soup or something else to eat so I wouldn't have to cook as much. Someone made a little basket with a journal and scented cream and other little things. All unexpected and made me smile. Cards bought and hand made were received with a smile. I felt loved and treasured. People listened when I wanted to talk and sat quietly with me when I was too tired to do or say much of anything at all.

I will stand by your side every step of the way and will help in any way that I can.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:46 PM
Oh tell your Mom not to freak out when she goes for her chemo. I have to laugh now that I look back on it. My first experience I was scared as hell and didn't know what to expect. I walk into the place and it looks nice enough with all these little rooms and one big open room. There were two patients to a room usually and a chair for each of their guests who would sit with them. It can take hours sometimes. The first thing I saw was a lady all curled up in a chair with a blanket wrapped around her and she was sleeping. I thought Oh my God, she didn't look too good. Come to find out, one of the medicines they give you can make you very sleepy. She was just resting comfortably.

If she is to get months of chemo, it is best to have a port put in. makes things sooooo much easier.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'll wait until you tell us what kind of cancer she has and what chemo she will be getting and for how long. Find out if it is the kind of chemo where she will lose her hair or not. With some, you don't lose your hair. If she is on the kind where she will, get a wig as soon as possible or hats or scarves or whatever she is most comfortable with. You can lose your hair in two or three weeks. It has been a few years and my hair is long again, down to my boobs. LOL Hair grows fast.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:29 PM

Best wishes Rukia. Like Roth 1 said its best to do your own research, and don't always take the doctors word as gold. You, your mother, and the rest of your family are her best advocates.

top topics

<<   2 >>