It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identify this rock!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Some fossilized bone maybe? Hard to tell from one picture. It could also be ancient coral or from some other similar sea creature. It doesn't look like coprolite, that is usually more holey.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
First off, I was thinking slag, however slag has holes from embedded gases, that even when burst, are spherical. The holes in this sample are irregular shaped, so I am going with a conglomerate, with the softer mineral weathered out. If you cut the specimen, you may find intact inclusions of the same mineral that weathered out of the surface. Looks like a calcium/carbonite rich base, perhaps limestone. To tell, pour some vinegar on a small portion of it and see if it bubbles
edit on 26-11-2014 by charlyv because: s

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It looks like what I call "honey comb rock." There's tons of it Austin. I would guess it's some sort of sedimentary stone that has been eroded by running water. I used it to border my koi pond. I have chunks of it that weigh many hundred of pounds.

edit on 26-11-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

That would be limestone

Austin is a karst region.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm going from native copper to glauconitic limestone so there's all sorts of crazy here.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I've seen rock like that in tide pools here on the west coast.

Mostly with all sorts of organism's growing on it.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Drip a few drops of diluted acid on it and see if it effervesces (forms tiny bubbles).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join