It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Aztec Death Whistle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Used by the Aztecs when they were going into battle.
Also used in special ceremonies.

Very very creepy sound...

Here's another, this time with one made fron Jade stone

Imagine hearing a lot of them when you're preparing to battle for your life!
If you were'nt already crapping it, you soon would be.

I couldnt find much on the Death Whistle, nothing in Wikipedia, apart from This Link Here about this fascinating little instrument.

Enjoy!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Certainly interesting

I heard a similar sound from all around me when I once met someone who didn't become my mother in law.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Nearly BROKE my neck looking for my EX!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That's actually pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Holy crap! I wasn't expecting that sound at all, and was startled enough to be slightly angry that my only warning was "very very creepy" instead of something better like "Sounds like a human being screaming bloody murder". When I played that first video, I almost turned the sound off when it got to the "Imagine 1,000 warriors charging toward you, blowing this thing" part. The first whistle reminded me of every horror movie I've ever watched. The second one still sounds pretty creepy, and if I had one, I'd go around using it during ominous, windy nights. Hair-raising, but exciting! Thank you for sharing!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

WOW,

That is insane! I dont know what I would do first, poop or pee, if I heard hundreds of those things coming from an army of Aztec warriors heading my way....

Ancient peoples were awesome. This is why I love history.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

WOW,

That is insane! I dont know what I would do first, poop or pee, if I heard hundreds of those things coming from an army of Aztec warriors heading my way....

Ancient peoples were awesome. This is why I love history.

I wonder if the accounts of Cortes conquest mentions there use?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Must have been difficult to ride a horse and blow your horn with two hands at the same time....very talented.

I think the North American Tribes had it down pat....

Yoew, Yoew, yeow, woooo, woooop, wooop, woop...ahya ya ya ya ya.

Use to creap me out watching the Cowboy and Indian movies......

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

They actually do I think!

I didnt even think of it, but I vaguely remember accounts from soldiers talking about beast men. I know they had panther sounding war whistles.... You have to figure that the war garb of the Aztecs coupled with this instrument would make a colonial man think he was fighting mythological creatures and not mortal men! It would also explain the horror in the description from the Spaniards of the conflicts.

The nights they spent in the dense jungles or along roads would have been terrifying for this. I doubt every body saw panthers and such. They were probably being stalked by natives testing to see if they were Gods or not. I know the Maya tested them like that and when they saw they were men the spies went hurriedly to tell their king that they were men and not Gods. Thats why the Maya reacted the way they did to the Spaniards initially compared to the Aztec who just saw them arrive fearless one day in glory.

edit on 11 25 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

They actually do I think!

I think you mean jaguars

From Prescott's Conquest of Mexico, page 154 and elsewhere

As the Spaniards came in sight, the Tlascalans set up a hideous war-cry, or rather whistle, piercing the ear with its shrillness, and which, with the beat of their melancholy drums, that could be heard for half a league or more, might well have filled the stoutest heart with dismay.

The struggle was long and deadly. The Mexicans were recognised by their white cotton tunics, which showed faint through the darkness. Above the combatants rose a wild and discordant clamour, in which horrid shouts of vengeance were mingled with groans of agony, with invocations of the saints and the blessed Virgin, and with the screams of women; for there were several women, both native and Spaniards, who had accompanied the Christian camp. Among these, one named Maria de Estrada is particularly noticed for the courage she displayed, battling with broadsword and target like the staunchest of the warriors.

The Mexicans came on with their usual vociferation, making the shores echo to their war-cries, and striking at the Spaniards with their long pikes, and with poles, to which the swords taken from the Christians had been fastened.

edit on 25/11/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
epic. absolutely epic. first time I've heard of this death whistle! that sound kinda made me feel pumped--due to the admiration i feel for the aztecs. How smart using psychological intimidation to take down the enemy. a hundred of those would be beyond scary!

nice! thank you for the info. I didn't know that women were involved in the conflict. Man, fighting the aztecs must have been totally freaky. Mexico has always had a big fascination with death. between skinning enemy warriors and wearing their skin to this death whistle thing, i'd have been poopin my pants while running away lol

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
epic. absolutely epic. first time I've heard of this death whistle! that sound kinda made me feel pumped--due to the admiration i feel for the aztecs. How smart using psychological intimidation to take down the enemy. a hundred of those would be beyond scary!

nice! thank you for the info. I didn't know that women were involved in the conflict. Man, fighting the aztecs must have been totally freaky. Mexico has always had a big fascination with death. between skinning enemy warriors and wearing their skin to this death whistle thing, i'd have been poopin my pants while running away lol

Here is a pdf that has the original book

Pdf of the conquest of Mexico, Prescott

Its a great read considering it a tad biased and lacks a lot of info found out in last 150 years - another one very much like it is his book on the conquest of Peru.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Yeah I do mean jaguars. I skipped sleeping last night. LOL

Yeah it is crazy. The accounts by these guys are epic.

You should read the accounts of the conquest of the Maya. The last stands as described by them bring chills up the spine. There is one talking about a last Mayan warrior standing upon a small mound with a sword he took from one of the Spaniards....fighting off hordes of them as they ran up the mound only to fall to the might of the Toledo steel crashing upon their flesh. This one last Mayan warrior killed like 30 men in full armour before being taken down with spears. I forget the city but I am tempted to say Machu Pichu.

Also worth a mention are the accounts of the Spaniards entering into the Aztec capital. The descriptions of a perfect society in order. No disheveled clothing, no lies, no hunger, nothing of squalor that Europe knew. The confessions about the city´s grand market being MANY MANY times larger than the largest market in Europe of the time...Sevilla I think. The respect and dignity of the people....its just incredible when you take these versions into account and look at the images of the city before its destruction.

Its some really fun reading.

The nights in the jungle must have been insane. Imagine animal noises and screams in the distance....only to be complimented with hordes of enemy warriors rushing your camp at dawn. Its just incredible.

You should get your hands on some of the new material used in Mexico and south America to teach. The thing is that everything we have known for the last hundreds of years about the conquest have come from European accounts and from as little as a handful of texts that all others were based off. The Church actually contributed by documenting many more NATIVE accounts, as well as average soldiers accounts that are now used in academia in Mexico as teaching materials.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That was I believe the battle of Battle of Ollantaytambo and the guy was Manco Inca.

1537 but I forget the month

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yeah man. Thats it.

Its sad, incredible and inspiring like everything else about the past.

So cool.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yeah man. Thats it.

Its sad, incredible and inspiring like everything else about the past.

So cool.

You might find the Spanish campaign against Taysasal in 1697 of interest it was the last free Maya city in Yucatan.

Free ebook on the Spanish conquest of the Yucatan
edit on 25/11/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I will definitely look into it.

Thanks!

EDIT TO ADD:
I found this EXCELLENT break down of the history of the area relating to the final conquest if anyone is interested.

Its in Spanish, but I imagine that any basic translation service can be used to read it well enough in English.

www.burbuja.info...

This is about trade and trade routes in the area. Its not really relevant to the revolts and final conquest but is very concise and provides a background to the story. I think its worth a read since this was such an important area of commerce for both the Natives and later the Spaniards.
www.scribd.com...

Its a great, convoluted story of treachery, loyalty, surprising alliances and ultimate but romantic destruction. Oh man. I had no idea. This will keep me busy for a while.

THANK YOU Hanslune. As always your insight into history and its study are a remarkable asset here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Holy hell can you imagine hundreds of those blasting away at you while thousands plumbed warriors with obsidian axes or swords rushing towards you.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I have a really awesome compilation of the conquest of the new world, and it doesnt mention whistles anywhere, but it does say they advanced the means of singing and war-cries in battle

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Very cool...thanks for sharing.

I want one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join