It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legislation Would Make ‘Rape By Fraud’ A Crime

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Legislation Would Make ‘Rape By Fraud’ A Crime

A New Jersey lawmaker has a plan that would make it a crime to lie in order to sleep with someone. As CBS2’s Jessica Schneider reported, Assemblyman Troy Singleton (D-Mount Laurel) calls it “rape by fraud.”

Women and even men have been lured into relationships with people who aren’t who they say they are. “You probably would not consent to someone who purported to be a million different things other than they are,” Singleton said. The assemblyman has introduced a bill that would make lying to get someone to have sex equal to rape. “We think it is important to folks to be protected and this is just another way to provide that protection,” he said.

Under the bill, the lies would have to be continuous and rise to a high level of deceit. “When you are told lies of identity, you’re basically having a sexual relationship with a person who is a total stranger,” Joyce Short said. Short supports the bill. She claims she was deceived for years by her now ex-husband. “He lied about his marital status, he lied about his education. He said he had a bachelor’s in accounting from NYU and was, in fact, a high school dropout,” Short said.

At least five states already make it a crime to have sex by fraud, but some make it a lesser offense than rape. But some say it should be a matter of personal responsibility, not a case for the prosecutor. “She or he should do their due diligence and check the guy out. If he or she isn’t what they say they are, then move on,” Mark Harris said. If the bill becomes law, major cases of lying and deception for sex could result in 10 to 20 years in prison.
CBS

Everything sounded great until getting to the 10-20 years in prison part. Then again - do the crime do the time? Well, that's still a bit harsh though on the other hand I'm not at all against - in fact I'm for some type of 'punishment' for those who lie about themselves in order to 'get a piece' - or even worse to enter into a long term relationship based on a sack a lies.

peace

edit on 25-11-2014 by silo13 because: bold fix

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Oh yea, Jail and Prison, that thing that violates the constitution.

I just want to pursue happiness.
edit on 25-11-2014 by nrd101 because: edit caps

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Sometime's this type of behaviour can be pretty bad, people lie about being's free of disease etc or for other reason's but this law is like criminalizing ninety nine percent of chat up line's, that multi millionare banker with the yacht in monacho who happen's to really live in a trailor park and work's as a factory clerk will now no longer be able to try chatting up the supermodel's.
Cue lot's and lot's more lonely deranged bachelor's.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
the majority of people that are having 1 night stands or sex on the first night are either lying to the other person, or being lied to.
both parties put up a facade and only let what they want known to be known...

how silly is it to think that you should i unno, actually get to know someone before hoping in the sack.

if you sleep with someone after meeting them an hour ago and they turn out to be xxxx, thats their problem

this is so lame

people are gonna lie about how much money they make. gonna lie about having the clap. gonna lie about how many kids they dont have. gonna lie about all sorts of #. men and women

their own fault.

get to know a person before you take a romp.

edit on 25-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
can the man do the same when he discovers the women he just slept with is fugly without her make up in the morning or she removes the spanx body shaping underwear and she looks like a miniature jabba the hut. I mean if women are deciding who to sleep with because of their financial or education status and men are deciding who to sleep with due to their physical features whats the difference? Can't some chick who wears lots of make up be thrown in jail for being deceptive about her looks and breeding genes.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
looks like the bars are gonna lose a lot of business if this one goes through. getting drunk and telling stories is sometimes the only way people get laid. but it sounds to me like someone might have a personal vendetta...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Sometime's this type of behaviour can be pretty bad, people lie about being's free of disease etc or for other reason's but this law is like criminalizing ninety nine percent of chat up line's, that multi millionare banker with the yacht in monacho who happen's to really live in a trailor park and work's as a factory clerk will now no longer be able to try chatting up the supermodel's.
Cue lot's and lot's more lonely deranged bachelor's.

Don't forget to add the reverse of this one!

All the gold diggers using their bodies and the "L" word, to dig into some rich guys wallet.....

This is a bad idea all around. Like we need MORE laws that will help to fill our corporate prison systems?

How about a law against being stupid?

That is what most of these cases *NOT ALL* amount too. I am saying that from experience too! Oh yea, I fell for a thin young *dancer* and believed every lie she told me, just because the sex was awesome!

She did not commit a crime, the only thing she was guilty of, was taking advantage of my stupidity! To this day, I look thankfully back on those times, because it taught me that no matter how good the sex is, trust your gut and run like hell!

As far as the STD thing? I do agree with that to an extent, however, there are still tons of people who have unprotected sex, who should know damn better!

The more we lazily shirk off our responsibilities, the more we have idiots like the one proposing this law, come to our rescue.

EDIT: Also, is not the use of the word "RAPE" in this insane law, a little over the top? Hmmmm, I wonder if it will diminish the meaning of the word and it's severity, like another popular word that has been tossed around lately.....

edit on 25-11-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So if I proposition some gold-digger who is willing to have sex with me cause she thinks I have money I get accused of rape? But she can whore herself for my supposed money and that's ok? And what about women who lie about being on birth control and then end up pregnant and use the pregnancy to extort some outcome from the guy? Hey we know guys would screw a snake and if he couldn't catch the snake he'd do the hole it crawled down and all that... or that yiou could staple lady-parts to a dumpster and we'd do it but come on...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
well if that the law is passed, that would make sleeping with other people beside your spouse illegal if you don't tell them your married. then who's word would you take, the one who says you weren't told they were married, or the one who said that said they did.
edit on 25-11-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Also, if I may add, RAPE is a violent crime!

The victim of rape may spend the rest of their lives trying to cope and deal with the emotions they will have to deal with.

Dealing with embarrassment is easy! Buck it up and admit you screwed up!

This New Jersey legislator ought to be protested, (hate to use that word after last night) by rape victims for trivializing the use of the word!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
what no no. Rape and lying are two different things that should be treated as different crimes. This is going to open up a whole can of worms if this law passes. I mean who is going to judge the severity of the lie?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
The victim of rape may spend the rest of their lives trying to cope and deal with the emotions they will have to deal with.

The victim of rape prosecution may spend the rest of their lives in a box. regardless of guilt.

Constitution: No unnatural, unusual and excessive punishment.

In other words, taking your right to pursue happiness is against the law. The human condition is above law.

Thall shall not judge.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: nrd101

originally posted by: seeker1963

The victim of rape prosecution may spend the rest of their lives in a box. regardless of guilt.

Constitution: No unnatural, unusual and excessive punishment.

In other words, taking your right to pursue happiness is against the law. The human condition is above law.

Thall shall not judge.

That is a whole other issue. As you can see, I already mentioned we have too many laws already.

Now you bring up another point that hasn't even been addressed up till now. The fairness of our Just US system....

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Introducing thought crime using RAPE, good one. Good luck in some courts OUTSIDE of urban densities and we say "Stupid"

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So your saying that a politician wants to make it a crime to lie? Hhmmm

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
So all those trannies on Jerry Springer who come out and say...
"I'm actually a man"... Would face charges...

Anyone who spreads an STD without disclosing the fact as well...

Seems about right to me...

Does seem like it could be just as easy for people to lie about the lie though?

What would be the physical evidence?
Chances are it's never stand up in court.
edit on 25-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I say let's hit ADULTERY as a civil crime. YOU can prove THAT.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Protect the naive who aren't capable of using all the technology at their
disposal in todays world to protect themselves? I think this would have
been okay back in the seventies. But there's plenty of ways not to be
deceived in todays world. And what about those who want to be
decieved so they can cry rape later on. I don't see this working
out to well at all. But, it doesn't matter what we the people
think anyway. They need more ways to put us away.

But then again what about aids?

Hmmm Hmmmmmm?
I'm stumped.
SnF
edit on Ram112514v032014u50 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So it's not rape until the check bounces and then it's rape?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
now this law would make divorce interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join