It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are recent natural disasters caused by climate change? NO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
At least according to the majority of white evangelical Protestants that believe are actually signs of the "end times" predicted in the Bible, according to "Religion, Values, and Climate Change Survey" .

According to the "Religion, Values, and Climate Change Survey" by the Public Religion Research Institute, only five percent of Americans think climate change is the most important issue.

39 percent of white evangelical Protestants were skeptical that climate change exists, despite the overwhelming science.

However, 77 percent of white evangelical Protestant believe that recent natural disasters are caused by Biblical “end times,” not climate change.

Most White Evangelical Protestants Believe Bible's 'End Times' Cause Natural Disasters

About 77% white evangelical Protestant said the global warming is not responsible for natural disasters. According to them, the severe conditions are caused by Biblical end times. They said that the scientific evidence that showed climate change as the cause of natural disasters is not accurate.

link

So its not an important issue, but 77% think is a sign of the end times
yeah man end times is nothing its just like every Monday...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure god is not causing these problems. Man is perfectly capable of messing things up on his own and causing the climate change. We may not be completely causing all of the climate change, but we could do things to help control the problem so it would not be so bad.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Tagging every AGW skeptics as "christians" is in my opinion a low blow from the AGW church.

AGW Theory is a theory, and a true scientist keeps his mind open that this theory, like any other, could be wrong. In fact, how many times did the Climate Models had to re-adjust themselves because of their inaccurate predictions?

Some of us are skeptics simply because we need proof, not because we are religious.

By the way I am atheist, and I nevertheless believe that pollution is indeed a major problem, not only because if continued it can indeed affect the atmosphere, but also destroy major chunks of the biosphere.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Tagging every AGW skeptics as "christians" is in my opinion a low blow from the AGW church.

Who is doing that? it just happens that only 5% of the group mentioned thinks global warming is a real thing, no one said all that think this is a white evangelic, really nothing of what you say is close to the op.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I am thinking way ahead of your OP.

Saying that christians don't believe in AGW is just like saying oil corporations don't believe in AGW. I have been in enough AGW debates to know that the information in the OP will be just another way to put down AGW critics.

The next step is to call all those who criticize AGW "christians", just like so many AGW apologists are currently calling every AGW critics "oil corporation paid puppets".

I think you know that. You assisted to far too many debates yourself to ignore this name calling war which is going on.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I think you know that. You assisted to far too many debates yourself to ignore this name calling war which is going on.

Nope.

Also neither man made or anthropogenic are mentioned in any of the links in op or the links inside those links.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Nope.

I am sorry, I thought you had a better memory. Allow me to refresh it.

- Meanwhile the climate "skeptic" side is littered with easily transparent shills who have either A) no background in actual climate science, B) extreme right wing ideological views, C) direct ties to the fossil fuel industry or - most often - D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

source: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you want some more of these quotes please let me know.

Also neither man made or anthropogenic are mentioned in any of the links in op or the links inside those links.

Isn't that convenient?

What other kind of climate change was the link in you Op referring to? Global cooling?

edit on 25-11-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
so why is it taking him so long to "end the times"?
whenever he decides to mess stuff up in the bible it's pretty much in real time, but for some reason we are special, so he is giving up a what, almost 100 year heads start? that's about for how long climate change has been "a thing".
He didn't give the people that amount of time to get ready for the flood, nor did he wait that long to confuse the languages...he must think we are really important...or really stupid.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

wow man, you know earth climate is not a constant and have change through history no? for example there is the theory that current climate change is due to solar activity, very anthropogenic...

Anyways its funny you come here to say something completely unrelated to the op, name calling the others and complain of name calling yourself.

Also what does that quote have to do with me?

edit on 25-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

You said that "Man end times".

yeah man end times is nothing

You said nothing about natural climate change, with which I by the way happen to agree. Only that natural disasters were caused by change in climate, which you attribute to "Man", comparing it to the "end times".

Plus, you post a link claiming that only a republican would believe that Man is not causing Climate Change - see Miller's post below mine.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

From your source:

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which represents mainstream scientific opinion, recently noted that scientists believe there is a 95 percent chance of man-made global warming, noted The Economist.

However, 77 percent of white evangelical Protestant believe that recent natural disasters are caused by Biblical “end times,” not climate change.

According to McCright, Republicans are far less likely to believe that warmer temperatures were caused by man-made climate change than Democrats.

McCright added that Democrats are likely to believe that local temperatures are warmer than Republicans do.

Curious how often the word "believe" is used in the article.

edit on 25-11-2014 by Millers because: the end is nigh

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Millers

Really? and what is the affiliation of the relevant information you give to the public religion research institute that made the actual report?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Really? and what is the affiliation of the relevant information you give to the public religion research institute that made the actual report?

You tell us, you are the one who posted the OP.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

This topic was about how religious people think current events were a sign of the end times, way to derail the topic, how is you faster than light travel going btw if we are going to derail it more we could go there

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I don't understand your question. You said 'man made' wasn't mentioned, it clearly was and exactly in the context swanne was referring to. Do you read your own sources?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

how is you faster than light travel going btw if we are going to derail it more we could go there

Going very well, thank you for asking, with the help of an ATSer I have even found how infinite energy could be achieved using causality loops along the Time axis.

But I believe that no one has derailed the thread but you. You posted how christians didn't believe in AGW, and I replied that this could easily become just another mean to support the AGW church, using the ancient and not-so-proud tradition of Tags.

Not to name severe prejudice against the christian community.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You know you are right , i was just mad on the stupidity of the guy first comment, if you read the actual thing, and the part the op address

Overall, Americans are more likely to say that recent natural disasters are the result of climate
change (62%) than they are to say these disasters are evidence that the U.S. is experiencing the
“end times” as described in the Bible (49%). However, the number of Americans who believe
that natural disasters are evidence of the apocalypse has increased somewhat over the past
couple years. In 2011, approximately 6-in-10 (58%) Americans said that severity of recent natural
disasters is proof of climate change, while 44% of Americans reported that the severity of recent
natural disasters is a sign of the biblical “end times.”
Americans from different religious backgrounds vary in their willingness to attribute the severity
of recent natural disasters to the biblical end times. White evangelical Protestants are substantial
-
ly more likely to attribute the severity of recent natural disasters to biblical end times (77%) than
climate change (49%). While nearly three-quarters (74%) of black Protestants also agree that natu
-
ral disasters are a sign of the apocalypse, they are about as likely to see these natural disasters as
evidence of climate change (73%). Substantially fewer Catholics (43%), white mainline Protes
-
tants (35%), and religiously unaffiliated Americans (29%) see recent natural disasters as evidence
of the biblical end times.

Nothing about if climate change is man made, as the guy just AGW to no end guess what is the A in AGW

Oh and by the way 25% of the population believe in climate change but not man made
edit on 25-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join